PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Virtual Airline"?

fireflybob
12th Oct 2001, 20:06
Can anybody please tell me what is meant by a "Virtual Airline"?

What would be the problems associated with regulating a "Virtual Airline"?

Thanks for any help!

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: fireflybob ]

Denti
12th Oct 2001, 20:49
I think most "virtual airlines" are just a bunch of sim-flyer who like to do it as real as possible. They use real-time atc (other guys like to "play" the controllers), company manuals and procedures for the respecting aircrafts and most of them have a training department and a career-scheme (start as a junior pilot and move up to be a captain 744 or something).

Just check out www.satco.org (http://www.satco.org) (thats the controller-side of the "game", but there are many links to virtual airlines).

wysiwyg
14th Oct 2001, 14:55
I think ffbob might actually be after info on a different kind of virtual airline, i.e. foreign registered aircraft operating as if they were a uk airline. Funnily enough, a couple of people have been asking me this question recently and unfortunately I know nothing. Just a hunch, but it wouldn't be something to do with job's at the CAA flight ops dept would it?

regards
wizzy

QNH1013
15th Oct 2001, 09:45
Ohhhh...That's fighting talk MileHi :D

Jumbo Jockey
15th Oct 2001, 14:51
Yes wizzy, it is. Interviewees for the recently advertised CAA Flight Ops Inspector positions are invited to give a ten minute presentation as part of their assessment (overhead projector provided). The current topic is the problems of regulating a virtual airline. Sounds like the best presentations might be from those who know what a virtual airline is! ;)

GROUNDHOG
15th Oct 2001, 15:15
A virtual airline is one might lease or own its aircraft but does not have an operating certificate and therefore uses someone elses through a commercial arrangement. Air Foyle Charter Airline and British World have both been involved in this type of arrangement. It is perfectly legal but the CAA are not dreadfully keen on it and are trying to make it more difficult.This is not a good long term way to work and I doubt you will see many new 'virtual airlines' being started right now, or if they do most will either opt to try for their own licence quite quickly or hit the dust!!

wysiwyg
15th Oct 2001, 16:39
Well done JJ and Groundhog, now we're actually getting somewhere!

CRP5
15th Oct 2001, 23:38
Why don,t you ask the GUVNOR ever since I have been posting on Pprune he has been here!

Running his virtual airline, in fact as someone has previously said the GUV his airfix LH1011 and his blow up doll for cabin entertainment are the only ones making any "virtual money at the moment"!! :D :D :D :D

Hand Solo
16th Oct 2001, 00:46
The 'Virtual Airline' was how Bob Ayling described his plans for BA. Basically this involved outsourcing all your engineering functions (to GE), IT, customer service (to local operators), catering (Alpha/Gate Gourment), cabin crew (AML) and flying (GB, BMed, BRAL, Brymon, CityFlyer, Maersk, Atlas) until what you are left with is no operational staff and 60000 manager sitting in a big headquarters wondering why they don't make any money.