PDA

View Full Version : Give me confidence!!

Michele Smith
12th Oct 2001, 01:31
I am one of those odd people who are fascinated by aircraft but still nervous of actually flying - or rather of crashing! Flying is fine. I have flown countless times in the past 20 years but coming back from New York in Feb this year something happened as we came into land which has really shaken my confidence - as I am flying again next week to Barcelona I need some reassurance about what may have happened.

I was flying on a United airlines 767 and we were coming into land at heathrow and approx 5 or 6 minutes from touchdown. The weather seemed to be fine as far as I could tell when suddenly the plane started to roll the wings dipped left and then right and back again and the engines started to throttle up and then down. we were all strapped in for landing but if you had been standing you would have been thrown about quite a bit. Wimp that I am this has really unnerved me. Obviously he straightened it out and we landed Ok and nothing was said but I would like to know what it could possibly have been that caused this as it was quite violent and for me bloody scary!

OLBA18
12th Oct 2001, 08:52
You probably flew through the wake of the preceding aircraft, ATC are very good at informing you to be aware of wake turbulance from preceding aircraft and we also have TCAS onboard which shows you how far away you are from other planes - so either way you are aware and ready for it.

franksnbeans
12th Oct 2001, 10:11
Your first mistake was flying united (joke). Those guys in the front are very well trained, and know how to handle any situation. There is nothing to worry about, have a good trip! fnb

Throtlemonkey
12th Oct 2001, 16:19
Michele the best thing could posibly recomend for a lack of confidence is a flying lesson. Just head on down to the light aircraft side of your local airport and ask for a introductory lesson, it will give you a better understanding of whats going on around you when traveling by air, and if you decide to take up flying as a hoby or sport it will give you a confidence that will cary on into every day life.

Fright Level
13th Oct 2001, 01:38
Michele, the best way to explain it is to imagine you were on a speedboat and travelled across the wake of another boat or the crests of waves in the sea. Absolutely nothing to worry about, the boat you're on bounces around and it's all good fun. Take away the view out of the front as an airplane passenger, make those waves invisible (air is a fluid like water) and there you have it. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

Rod