PDA

View Full Version : Scanners and the legal position

Luke Mc
11th Oct 2001, 19:26
Hello
Regarding scanners, I am asking how the WT Act 1949 has been interprted, as the clause which prohibits lisening to most radio transmissions says

(i) "uses any wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain information as to the contents, sender or addressee of any message whether sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not, of which neither the person using the apparatus nor a person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient". This is interpreted as meaning that it is a criminal offence to listen to nonbroadcast transmissions etc., this is the view of Radiocommunications agency, and has this been upheld by the courts? I would ague that obtaining information is not the same as lisening in certain circumstances, but have the courts ruled that all unauthorised lisening is prohibited under this section?
Also, on the RA website there is a sheet that lists exemptions from this, including broadcast radio, CB, and also weather and "navigtion" broadcasts. I am not sure exacly what that menas, but it could be interpeted to mean aviation and marine bands,
and weather broadcast ATIS and VOLMET. I beleive that the position that public reception of air band is considered illegal under WT act, but is widley tolerated, I am asking what exactly the position is with regard to "navigation" broadcasts etc.
Luke

fen boy
11th Oct 2001, 19:56
Hi Luke, I think this area is regulated by the DTi's Radio Communications people.

In my experience they turn a very blind eye to the area of listening. When they do get interested is if any information gleaned is passed on to third parties etc and obviously if transeivers are used illegally.

chiglet
11th Oct 2001, 22:15
Luke,
This has been covered in several threads before.
a. It is NOT illegal to own [amd use] a scanner.
b. It IS illegal to make use of "information gleaned" thereon.
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Airbanda
12th Oct 2001, 01:17
As stated this has come up before. See the Radio Communications Authority leaflet RA169 on Receive Only Radio Scanners Etc. It is illegal to listen to anything apart from licensed broadcasters (BBC/ILR etc) Amateurs and possibly weather broadcasts. In practice as posted above the powers that be disregard discrete airband listening, though in current circs that may change especially in the UHF/Mil band. They will take a different view of earwigging on the police, you may get away with it if you are "respectable" but don't bank on it. I know of someone who was caught for this and although plod did not prosecute they cautioned him and confiscated an expensive scanner.

Airbanda- Proud to be an Anorak