PDA

View Full Version : career options?

kautostar
16th Oct 2011, 10:52
Hi all
Just wanted to get some advice. I applied to NATS but after a lot of being messed around for several months was informed my eye sight isn't good enough. Having checked the requirements on their website I think it's very borderline so wondering whether I should appeal that decision. Anyway, I've also looked at Eurocontrol - but it seems that you can't apply to them if you're older than 25 - which I am.
So, just wanted to check whether I have any other options for a career in ATC?
Thanks guys . . .

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Oct 2011, 13:01
Presumably the eyesight decision was the result of a medical examination? If so, you might find other ATC providers in Europe would refuse you for the same reason.

If it was not the result of a medical, you need to have one before making any decisions. The only alternative to you close to home would be one of the private companies which charge an arm and a leg to train controllers. If you did that and then failed the medical.........

You say that you are older than 25 - by how much? Training from scratch in ATC becomes more difficult the older one gets, although some do achieve success.

kautostar
16th Oct 2011, 13:30
Thanks HD. I'm 36. I've always been interested in a career in ATC but have always worked as a foreign exchange trader in the City until now. I'm confident I could get through the selection, but obviously the eye sight thing is more difficult.
I was rejected by NATS not after examination, but on the strength of my prescription which I'd emailed to them. The thing was they didn't seem too confident and changed their minds several times before finally saying my eyes didn't make the grade. I have shown the requirements to an optician who told me that potentially my sight DID pass the criteria. (The other issue is that with glasses/contact lenses I pass with flying colours - so as long as I'm wearing glasses/lenses....)
Anyway, has Eurocontrol always been under 25s only do you know? And can you recommend any of the companies that you mentioned?
Many thanks.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Oct 2011, 14:05
OK. I think it would be worth you consulting the Medical Branch at Gatwick. Have a look here: Vision | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=68&gid=1250)

to see if there is anything of use. If you still have queries, telephone them; they are very helpful and may be able to give a definitive answer. Although your local optician/ doctor may be happy with your eyes, the aviation requirements are somewhat more stringent.

As for recommending one of the colleges, I hope someone else will respond as I have no knowledge of the current situation.

reportyourlevel
16th Oct 2011, 20:49
As HD says, check with the CAA before parting with any cash. Although your eyes may be fine with lenses, I think there is a maximum permissible amount of correction. As for the "private" colleges, I attended the one at Cwmbran a few years ago (it was BAE Systems then) for APP and APS. I found the teaching excellent and would definitely recommend them.

alfaman
18th Oct 2011, 08:19
In very broad terms, the CAA medical determines the state of your eyesight now; hence the retest on a regular basis; so, it's either good enough, or isn't.
NATS (& any ANSP) will be more concerned with the prognosis for the future; hence why the decision will have taken more time & more discussion. They're looking for a period of employment as recompense for the investment they're making in your future, &, sadly, they've decided that at 36, with your eyesight where it is, & the projection over time of where it's likely to go, they don't think the benefit outweighs the risk.
You could invest in the training yourself, get a licence & apply to any employer, but, very few are actively recruiting at the moment, & therefore your investment may not pay off. There are time criteria regarding how much time you have to comence unit training, following licence training, it's not long. You'd be taking a pretty brave leap into the unknown in the present market, I'm afraid.

flyer2004
20th Oct 2011, 09:48
The best recommendation for anybody in this position is to spend some money and have a med exam with the CAA and also to contact one of the private colleges and ask to attend an Aptitude test. Doing this will cost you less than a grand but will give you the right information to make your descision.

kautostar
20th Oct 2011, 20:53
HD, RYL, AM, F2004
Many thanks for the help and the pointers. I've sent an email to the CAA so we'll see what they say and take it from there. Will let you know. Keep me posted with any more thoughts. I know it's a long shot but I'm determined not to give up on it until I know it's impossible!