PDA

View Full Version : British Airways

SFly
17th Mar 2001, 02:03
I was trying to find an aircraft registration but I was having trouble. It was a BA L1011 Tristar, and the only other thing I know is that it was called "The Silk Rose" . . . or maybe it was "The (something) Silk Rose". Anybody have a registration log or anything to help me with this one?
SFly

Mooney
17th Mar 2001, 22:30
It was a TriStar 200 G-BGBC (c/n 1182) And its name was "The Shot Silk Rose" Its not owned by American International. When BA changed to the To Fly to Serve Livery it was re-named to "St Andrews Bay".

http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/g/g-bgbc_2.jpg

Hope that helps! Those L1011 looked sooo lovely!

Any more info??!!

=====================
[email protected]

airsmiles
17th Mar 2001, 22:30
Hi. Sfly.

The nearest seems to be G-BBAH c/n 1101 'The Sunsilk Rose'. This was later 'Lyme Bay' before becoming 'Loch Avon' with Caledonian. Not sure where it is now though as JMC have just sold some Tristars to an unknown operator.

airsmiles
17th Mar 2001, 23:24
Mooney - looks like our messages were posted at the same time. I missed 'BC', which I think is actually "SHORT" Silk Rose. Do you agree that 'AH' is a possibility ?

SFly
17th Mar 2001, 23:28
Thank you Mooney, I'm positive that's what it was. Yeah, they were great, eh!

Thanks anyway airsmiles . . . but i'm pretty sure it was the "The Shot Silk Rose".
In fact, "Loch Avon" (G-BBAH) was always named that way, I believe. Caledonian themselves got rid of all their Tristars shortly before the JMC takeover, so JMC never had L10's, just those two rickety DC-10's which are now one rickety DC-10.

Cheers,
SFly

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 17 March 2001).]

airsmiles
17th Mar 2001, 23:52
Sfly, glad you got what you wanted.

Re; JMC Tristars, I should have made myself clear. JMC never operated them but stored them in the desert. It's these ones which were recently sold.

SFly
17th Mar 2001, 23:57
Yes, now I see . . . but I don't know who would want to buy them!

[This message has been edited by SFly (edited 17 March 2001).]

Mooney
18th Mar 2001, 00:39
airsmiles!

Nothing would surprise me with my spelling! Though BC was named "The Shot Silk Rose" (not sure where the name comes from?!) ;

http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/L/L10-GBGBC.jpg

SFly
18th Mar 2001, 01:23
Not sure about "The Shot Silk" part of it, but they were all called "Rose" weren't they?

You ask me why?

I don't know.

SFly

airsmiles
19th Mar 2001, 00:25
Mooney - can't argue with a pic !
I wish these people who write books would get the facts right though.

Sfly - Can't imagine why anyone would want to name a/c after boring subjects like roses, castles, rivers etc. When I get my own airline like The Guv. I'm going to name my a/c after female celebrities who have taken their kit off on screen.

SFly
19th Mar 2001, 00:48
I dread to think what you would call your airline, Airsmiles!!!!
:) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif ;) :)

HugMonster
19th Mar 2001, 02:13
Now that's what I call a decent livery. None of your schoolkid artwork or graffiti. Mind you, they obviously had trouble spelling the word "Airways" so decided not to risk it... :)

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

airsmiles
20th Mar 2001, 00:23
Not sure about the name of the airline Sfly, but could use some of those BBJ's (Boeing Bl*w Jobs) and I would make sure all flights routed via France so the pilots could call 'Brest Control'.

I wonder if Nicole Kidman would be available as FA ?