PDA

View Full Version : ILS approach on Airbus PFD. Few questions.

z.khalid
15th Oct 2011, 00:17
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/313595_246503488735312_100001269892528_771765_1461243603_n.j pg

Just been reading up and watching videos of approaches on Jets (specifically the airbus).
I cant seem to understand exactly what is going on.
I believe I can get a the localizer in HSI from the ND, but it is better to monitor the PFD from what I have read.

Firstly, on ILS, is it recommended you fly on HDG/VS with FDs, or is the FPA/TRK mode better?

Also, I understand that the green diamond is the track, the blue triangle just the selected track, and the magenta diamond is the localizer.
What I need to do here is bring the green diamond(track) right under the localizer and get them both right above the magenta dagger.
Is that right?

I don't quiet get what is happening in this approach whilst there is wind coming from the left.
I may have the wrong idea completely, can somebody please explain?

Thank you.

Dream Land
15th Oct 2011, 07:02
The picture you have is indicating no use of a Flight Director which would make it much easier. You need to select ARM on the FCU panel, flying the approach the way you have it is as you say, keep the track diamond above the localizer course, then, the little airplane symbol (FPV) needs to be lowered below the horizon, so the tail is flush with the horizon, this roughly corresponds to 3 degrees down, about the same slope as the glide path. Another way to estimate a decent rate would be about half of your indicated ground speed + 0, so 140 KTS GS = 700 FPM.

z.khalid
15th Oct 2011, 11:12
Dream Land,

Thank you for the response.
I understand that if you arm the approach button, the aircraft will fly this for you, is that what you meant by the ARM button on the FCU?

I am honestly quiet confused about HOW to fly the ILS with only this view, as I usually look at the CDI.
I still don't understand how it should look, and where the green diamond should be in relation to the magenta diamond above it (the localizer), and in relation to the dagger.
How to correct for wind in this case while flying raw data.

I do understand the 3 degree concept with the tail of the bird being on the horizon, or calculating the ROD.
Thank you for that.

Dream Land
15th Oct 2011, 13:14
Well the track diamond indicates the actual track of the aircraft, so in your picture, the ILS course is 080, so once you get on the ILS localizer course, just turn the heading of the aircraft to 080, you hold that heading and if the aircraft drfts to the right, you know you have a xwind from the North, so turn to the left about 10 degrees left until you recapture, then turn right 5 degrees, now if that doesn't hold the course, make small heading changes to "drag" the track diamond back over the ILS course indicator at 080.

With no wind the "Bird" is pointing straight ahead, with the wind from the North, the heading of the aircraft will be a little to the left of the Bird, indicating the crosswind correction.

My suggestion is to let it do a fully automatic approach, then pause it and look at the indications, the track and FPV are telling you the actual trajectory (not heading) which is useful with practice.

Cheers, D.L. :ok:

z.khalid
15th Oct 2011, 22:54
Dreamland,

Thanks again for the response.
That's actually a pic I got, I don't have the flight sim, and would much rather just learn myself / while TR than with the SIM.

One last questions.
I understand the Bird is to the right because this is the aircraft trajectory or TRACK yes?
Meaning once I have corrected for wind, this should be in the center of the screen(showing that I have corrected and NOT drifting)?

Sorry with all the questioning.
Thanks for the help.

babotika
15th Oct 2011, 23:57
The bird always shows where the aeroplane is going, the horizon (black dot) shows what the aeroplane is pointing at. In the picture you posted the aeroplane is drifting right compared to where the nose is pointing signifying a left crosswind.

To fly an ILS "raw data" which is without flight directors you would set the course on the FCU which would produce a vertical blue line on the attitude indicator. When you have the LOC centred set the bird on the course line you should stay on localiser centreline. I very rarely look at that ridiculously small compass tape, but the idea is the same - get the green diamond (track) on the magenta cross (CDI) which you will also have selected (blue triangle).

All of the above implies half-flying the approach. The only way to have Otto do it is in LOC/GS move (APPR button) with FDs on.

S.

Kennytheking
24th Oct 2011, 03:15
z.khalid,

I think the reason that you cannot get the localiser on the ND is because the ND display mode is incorrect. The current mode is called Rose VOR......you would be wanting a mode called Rose ILS which would display the localiser. That said, your comment to monitor the PFD rather, is quite correct

If hand flying the ILS, the first choice of modes would be with flight directors on and in approach mode. Also the ND would be in Arc mode, which would display the lateral tracking in case of a missed approach(situational awareness).

If, for some reason, you want to fly a raw data ILS(I have only ever done this once in the simulator for training purposes, never ever in real life), you would want the flight directors off, and the FPV(bird) on so the mode would be track/FPA. You simply align the heading bug with the ILS track and the computer will take care of the wind corrections for you ie you will fly a fixed track across the ground irrespective of wind because the computer calculates what to show you. Your only job is to get yourself on the loc.

Hope it helps.

k.