View Full Version : Jet2 4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17

purplehelmet
8th Jun 2015, 18:59
^^^^^^^^x5

Jet2_738
8th Jun 2015, 20:20
generally your posts bore the living pants off most of the readers here

I do apologise, that I bore you, but I intend to be a regular contributor, unlike some. Quite Frankly, if you find them boring, then please do just skip ahead - you are not obliged to read them.

--(skip this if you want :ugh:)--

Looks to have been the Titan A320 that couldn't operate the MJV due to a lengthy previous delay

Thanks. Good to see that they were able to avoid delays sending a 752 up there :ok:

BKS Air Transport
8th Jun 2015, 21:10
I seem to recall the moderator of the AA and R section commenting some time ago that posts which contained reference to aircraft registrations had no place on here.

Some people will no doubt welcome your posts, but may I endorse S1E's comments above, and suggest that you open a new thread within Spectators Balcony for them.

sdh2903
8th Jun 2015, 21:12
Can you seriously not just grow up and see that there are lots of people who are finding your posts trivial and put them in the spotters forum where they belong?

TSR2
8th Jun 2015, 23:28
but I intend to be a regular contributor

That's fine, no-one is saying anything different. Just post your spotters comments in the appropriate place. This forum relates to Airline Business.

mockingjay
9th Jun 2015, 07:31
Glad it's not just me. I rarely bother any more with this thread. The sickeningly pro Jet2 posts and constant shooting down of anyone who dare question Jet2 (or God forbid actually criticise Jet2) put me off a long time ago.

JB007
9th Jun 2015, 11:21
As you seem to be an 'irritating user', could you please move your postings to the Spotters Corner, thank you.

Let's please leave this thread to news on Jet2 business, be it positive or negative from those in the know and those who wish to know.

paully
9th Jun 2015, 12:32
Many thanks Moderator...your help is appreciated I`m sure by many

BAladdy
12th Jun 2015, 20:57
EDI-NAP which was only announced over the last couple of weeks is now no longer on sale. Additional FAO rotation added on the Friday in place of NAP. Anyone know if the route been dropped already or just temporarily removed from sale?

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
14th Jun 2015, 19:22
Paris Air Show starts tomorrow doesn't it? Wonder if Jet2 announce these new jets they've supposedly bought/buying/leasing this coming week?

Still can't see Jet2 going from Boeing to Airbus.

Artie Fufkin
14th Jun 2015, 21:59
The announcement was originally imminent in Februray, then it was Paris, then it was Farnborough, now we're told September. We were told Airbus was a done deal, now we hear Boeing...

Zzzzzzzzz

One particular gnome is reporting an order of 62 A320/21, plus options. Another reporting Jet2 directors spotted talking to Airtanker at Brize Norton, another spotted Boeing executives, another spotted P&W executives.

Zzzzzzzzz

Anyone else heard any good ones? All above are "genuine rumours".

EK77WNCL
14th Jun 2015, 22:29
I heard from a reliable source that management were spotted in Ulyanovsk with a view to placing an order for 60 TU204 with 15 options:
40 Tu204 300 to replace the 737 300's and 737 800's
+5 Tu204 300 combi to replace the 737 300 combi
15 Tu 204SM to replace the 757's

It should be firmed at MAKS 2015 in Moscow and production will be ramped up to 5/7 per year to cover Jet2's deliveries and their existing backlog. A spokesperson said "We hope that delivery will begin by Q2 2017 when we will receive our first 3 next generation Tupolev aircraft, around 5 aircraft per year should be delivered thereafter" he went on to say "our final delivery should take place in Q3 2029, coinciding with the retirement of our final 737 800 which will have reached the end of it's viable service life around that time"

Here's hoping, lets see what happens :ok:

chuzwuza
15th Jun 2015, 00:08
Are you mental? Or just taking the p...?

EK77WNCL
15th Jun 2015, 23:54
Bit of both I think...

ATNotts
16th Jun 2015, 07:08
I heard from a reliable source that management were spotted in Ulyanovsk with a view to placing an order for 60 TU204 with 15 options:

It should be firmed at MAKS 2015 in Moscow and production will be ramped up to 5/7 per year to cover Jet2's deliveries and their existing backlog. A spokesperson said "We hope that delivery will begin by Q2 2017 when we will receive our first 3 next generation Tupolev aircraft, around 5 aircraft per year should be delivered thereafter" he went on to say "our final delivery should take place in Q3 2029, coinciding with the retirement of our final 737 800 which will have reached the end of it's viable service life around that time"

Here's hoping, lets see what happens :ok:

Like it - but I bet your humour will be lost on a few! Must admit I thought that irony was a genre of humour lost on the younger generation. Thanks for disproving me. :ok:

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
16th Jun 2015, 11:10

Here's hoping, lets see what happens

Ha ha! Well done. This is probably gospel on some other forums by now.

chuzwuza
16th Jun 2015, 17:11
Lets just hope that jet2_738 hasn't read it! Could send him over the edge! Bless him.

pug
16th Jun 2015, 17:49
Last I heard was the A330's are still planned for next summer..? No idea about any fleet replacement, heard rumours but would buying new really be feasible given the seasonal nature of operations?

All Airbus fleet would be nice, but would render the spanking new training facility obsolete.. 😉

I reckon more 738's(possibly some 737's too?) to replace the 733's and perhaps eventually the 752's, with the talked of A330's to soak up some of the higher density routes currently operated by the 752's, and of course the special departures to New York.. The only missing piece in the puzzle would then be the QC replacement..?

Facelookbovvered
16th Jun 2015, 22:22
Jet2 recently featured in an analysts report on the seasonal nature of the airline business, Jet2 were listed No 1 world wide for seasonality i.e. the difference between their peak program and low season program, that does not support a significant order, with fuel cheaper than Harrogate spring water i expect the old girls will see a further extension to their service life..

chaders
16th Jun 2015, 22:24
Months of rumours, and it appears they were just rumours. Full glass cockpit conversion for some 737, 300 and 757, futher 737,800s to pitch up.

Jet2.com pilot jobs news for airline pilots and aviation schools

Any reliable source? PPJN were spouting about Airbus only a couple of weeks ago.

EK77WNCL
16th Jun 2015, 23:34
Ex EK A332's (Florida/Mexico) and/or ex BA 763's (Sardine can to Magaluf) I'm telling ya Jet2 listen to me!

But I thank you all for your kind words, thought I'd lighten the mood a bit, would be wonderful to see a fleet of Tu204's based in the north of England. It's quite interesting how much of a good fit for 733/752 replacements they are actually, if only it was the Boeing Tu204.

If the glass cockpit thing is true it'll be semi-good news, won't have the same feel in the cockpit but if it keeps the old girls in the air 5-10 more years I'm all for it. I hope all the 757's get done

Just another student
17th Jun 2015, 01:30
Glass cockpit upgrades have been on the cards and rumoured for a long time, this IMHO does not change the plans for fleet renewal, the aircraft are just being invested in one last time to make them compliant with EASA regulations. The some -300's and some 757's will see another 6-8 years service.

Remember, it will take time for Boeing or Airbus to deliver aircraft, the existing fleet needs to continue operating during this period. I have no doubt that Jet2 have been in talks with both parties for a long time and will not announce or sign anything, until the deal is 100% in the best long term interests of the airline.

More -800's, for sure, they will keep expanding in a cautious way, as they have done over the last 5 years or so.

A330/'s I have no doubt, will appear for next summer, the demand is there, but long haul is a long way off IMHO.

tonker
18th Jun 2015, 08:04
Why would an airline that's still buying second hand 737-800's be about to convert to Airbus? Nonsense

Mr Mac
18th Jun 2015, 11:41
Anybody know what's going down to Palma on the 06.40 Friday as I will be on it. When booked it was to be 330 now I presume 767, any ideas which one. Thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Mr Mac

Station_Calling
18th Jun 2015, 12:00
Bad news Mr Mac - if it's the 06:40 it will be the Privilege 757. The flying that was planned for the A330 seems to be split across a 757 and a 737, so you often see two departures a day to the same place now.

If will be J2 CC, but the FD are Privilege, and the interior is obviously not the J2 fit.

bjones4
18th Jun 2015, 12:42
LS831/832 tomorrow are on a Jet2 757, it's easy to pick out the Privilege 757 vs a Jet2 one by the seat maps.

Priviledge has 37 rows with Row 18/19 being the over-wing exit rows.
Jet2 has 42 rows with 33A/33F being adjacent to the aft-wing exits.

Station_Calling
18th Jun 2015, 14:40
LS831/832 tomorrow are on a Jet2 757, it's easy to pick out the Privilege 757 vs a Jet2 one by the seat maps.

Nope. LS831 tomorrow is currently scheduled on E-CISY - not a Jet2.com aircraft.

SC.

bjones4
18th Jun 2015, 15:19
Ah apologies, I'd clicked through to Saturdays 832. Hopefully my own flights on 831/832 in September will stay on Jet2 metal!

Mr Mac
18th Jun 2015, 21:17
Oh well its only 2.5 hrs with luck! Thanks for the up dates, even with the less than Rosy news.

Regards
Mr Mac

sixfootfive
19th Jun 2015, 14:47
So was this just guff or has something gone wrong?

SWBKCB
19th Jun 2015, 15:24
Well, Airbus were talking at Paris about having to open a new line for narrow-body production, which doesn't sound like a buyers market for A.320's.

There seems to be a bit of a gap between A.330 and A.330NEO, so there might be an opportunity to get a good deal on the last few Classics so Airbus can maintain the line, but I suspect it was actually all guff to start with (and anybody who knows won't be telling here!).

Facelookbovvered
19th Jun 2015, 19:37
I can see why J2 might be motivated to switch from Boeing to Airbus with crew savings from mixed fleet operation 757/737/8 but that would require a fleet plan for A319/320 -A330 doable and its where Titan seem to be heading, but mail is still a nice little earner, are there any converted Airbus narrow body freighters?

There is now a steady supply of mid life 738's coming to the market and whilst not new, neither are the costs that go with them.

If they introduced the A330 then that would be a huge leap on the 757 and you need to use the range LBA -TFS -LBA or AGP wouldn't make sense, you couldn't fill it on the number of occasion you would need to do to cover the costs, its a long-haul aircraft, it hasn't really worked for Air Berlin, buy a couple of 330 on the used market and get it wrong and it could easily destroy J2 profitability, look at the damage that the introduction of brand new 787's have done to Norwegians profitability and they have a feeder network and huge market presence in their home market of Scandinavia.

Titan are a very different business and don't need to fly their aircraft day in day out they don't have to fill aircraft or profitably sell seats , ACIM is their business and they know it well.

So unless there is news to the contrary i don't see it, if they go with the A330 it will please spotters, not accountants or shareholders, if its about driving J2Holidays.com, then they could do a lot worse than buying long haul capacity from other operators or dedicated charters, if its good enough for Tui & Thomas Cook to use 3rd party airlines then it must make sense for J2

SWBKCB
19th Jun 2015, 20:33
Both A320 and B738 pax to cargo conversions launched at Paris.

BasilFawlty
19th Jun 2015, 21:26
As said before, all these new aicraft order rumours are completely rubbish, it clashes with everything in their business model and what they have done so far in the past 13 years. Period. End of story. ;)

Logprog
19th Jun 2015, 23:15
Why is an order of new aircraft rubbish? Why does everyone assume that if jet2 ordered new Airbuses that the 737s would be disposed of? Why does everyone assume a Boeing order would mean Max and not NG? Why does everyone consider the mail a large part of the business?.

Jet2 has evolved and is now being heavily influenced by the holidays division, this is still relatively new and still growing. It may be that one aircraft type is not a good fit for this business (TCX and TOM don't use a single type).

The fact of the matter is Jet2 probably wouldn't be in the position it is today without using pre owned airframes. What is missed is the resource jet2 are putting into looking after these aircraft is considerable. Capital for new airlines is not easy to gain and lease costs for a new or small airline are huge.

I do not know the answers to all of the above questions but an open mind is required not constant droning about how everything is rubbish.

Mr Mac
20th Jun 2015, 05:40
B Jones / Sation Calling
Well was a little dubious about the old bird but I have flown in worse and older A/C around the world. we haad seats 1A & 2A, flight was 20min early into Palma and had a good cew with Spanish fightdeck I think. Was a little reminisant of the early 80,s pushing back from Pier C at Manchester in her, as that was my first airport contract, and with the A/C and building it was like old times ! It will be intresting to see if I end up working on the next phase of their expansion at Man.

Regards
Mr Mac

Facelookbovvered
20th Jun 2015, 21:28
Agree 100% you can't rubbish everything, off course mail is now a small part of the business but it there all the same and probably helps underpin profitability in EDI

The wet lease of a A330 was an interesting concept, would have been interesting to see how it panned out? perhaps next year.

pug
20th Jun 2015, 22:28
We believe next year will be the year they will wet lease the A330, however I don't think the plan is to ply then on long haul routes. They will be focussed on med destinations where they can max the capacity from MAN..

I believe PM is keen on the Airbus aircraft, but in terms of buying a whole fleet..? Goes against everything they've done so far, and their strategy at the moment seems to be working.

Facelookbovvered
21st Jun 2015, 09:42
Useful extra capacity so long as they are not plagued by tech issues, who will they lease it from?

pug
21st Jun 2015, 12:05
No idea on that front.. I believe that is now ID's job.

Of course nothing is set in stone until an official announcement is made and the aircraft are there on the Tarmac..

Facelookbovvered
22nd Jun 2015, 07:18
Where are these pilots leaving to go, i know FR are recruiting heavily, but things can't be that dire in J2 ?

JB007
22nd Jun 2015, 09:20
...but things can't be that dire in J2...

Yes, they are!

mockingjay
22nd Jun 2015, 11:12
Both BA and U2 are now taking on NTR direct entry pilots (U2 is taking NTR DEC - on a self sponsored basis). LS have not had to resort to NTR so there can't be a shortage of people applying to LS.

mockingjay
22nd Jun 2015, 11:55
Thanks for the insight there I had no idea how bad it was. I just wonder for those going to BA, no matter how many roster changes you get surely that can't be worse than commuting forever to work out of LHR. Is is guys who have local home bases or guys who are commuting who are moving on? Maybe they're thinking that if they're going to commute forever, they may as well do it for someone else.

Flying Wild
22nd Jun 2015, 12:22
Thanks for the insight there I had no idea how bad it was. I just wonder for those going to BA, no matter how many roster changes you get surely that can't be worse than commuting forever to work out of LHR. Is is guys who have local home bases or guys who are commuting who are moving on? Maybe they're thinking that if they're going to commute forever, they may as well do it for someone else.

Those leaving are from all over the LS network. They're generally leaving for an airline where they can be fairly certain they've got career prospects, no matter how long it takes to move up the seniority ladder.
There's also the better pay & conditions, the confidence that the airline will be around in 5/10/15 years time...

The head in the sand mentality in leeds is rather galling... they need to face up to the fact that despite hating their pilot/cabin crew workforce, without us, the company doesn't work. Even small gestures such as an effective staff travel system would go a long way to regaining goodwill.

galwaypilot
22nd Jun 2015, 19:47
Yea I joined LS last year and well... Returned to my previous employer. I hope the mentality (especially in GLA) improves. I know guys who transferred from GLA to other LS bases and they said it was like working for a different company. I think the guys on the line are a great bunch of people and well it was a pleasure flying with them even if it was for only a year and a half. Jet2 has its positives and like everywhere its minuses. I think at the top it needs a new face and new way of thinking and more importantly a new and fairer way of reacting to certain situations. Lowering HR's power would be a good start. Though to be fair that's the way of the world now in most companies!

As for the aircraft order... http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Jet2.com

DjerbaDevil
23rd Jun 2015, 18:17
Even small gestures such as an effective staff travel system would go a long way to regaining goodwill.

And payscales to compensate loyalty would go an even longer way and would help to reduce training costs. The company cannot buy loyalty but it can be stimulated and maintained in many imaginative ways without any extra costs and the benefits to the business would be immense.

Narrow Runway
23rd Jun 2015, 19:21
Pay scales would surely have to be a cost? They cannot be waved away as anything other than just that.

Whether or not they could be covered by the theoretical lowering of training cost, they're still a cost - and impossible to quantify, as you never know 100% how many people intended to move on at any given point in time.

However, I agree on your sentiment. Many things cost little, but are sometimes just not part of a given culture.

gorter
23rd Jun 2015, 19:28
You could always slash the budget of the revolving door that is the human remains department. Their policies push out more pilots than anything else. Pilots get a payrise and more decide to stay. Win win really.

LNIDA
23rd Jun 2015, 22:48
Added to which Norwegian have a net requirement of 350+ pilots for the 738 fleet in 2016 alone + retirements and people moving to the 787 plus 4 new 787-9 airframes next year.

New Uk base in BHX & either MAN/EDI with LGW becoming a major training base requiring TRI/TRE pay rates should jump in 2016/7 :ok::ok:

I can't see 70% contracts, half pay in training,no crew food, lack of staff travel being sustainable, if Ryanair have had to up their game on T&C's and they have, then Jet2 are deluding themselves if they think they have a USP in the employment market, they do of course, its called their HR department, time PM went in there and sacked the lot of them.

taxi_driver
23rd Jun 2015, 22:57
Alot of management confuse 'Cost' and 'Value'.

Simple and modest improvements in terms and conditions should be viewed as an investment in a business of J2's size. It is now in the billion pound turnover area, seemingly with some growing up to do.

Few seem to be moaning about money (more is always welcome though), it's more about rostering issues, health care, staff travel and unpleasant employee relations.

Staff turnover fuels more staff turnover, as more leave rosters become more fragile, leading to more leaving. Some imagination and fresh thinking is required to break the cycle.

LNIDA
24th Jun 2015, 06:50
In the UK the revolving door for 737 drivers is fairly limited to FR, DY/ & J2 the people who join J2 are in the main doing so to be closer to where they live, the same with the many Captains joining FR this year, DY/ have not recruited in 2015 and for now can only offer LGW and even that is very unlikely for new starters in either seat.

People leaving any of the above for BA is a + career move, anything else is shuffling the cards

chinapattern
24th Jun 2015, 13:52
New Uk base in BHX & either MAN/EDI with LGW becoming a major training base requiring TRI/TRE pay rates should jump in 2016/7 :ok::ok:.

Is the BHX base happening then?

GLAinsider
25th Jun 2015, 09:56
I think LNIDA was talking about Norwegian.

Flying Wild
26th Jun 2015, 01:24
I think LNIDA was, Jet2 wouldn't have the serviceable aircraft and crew to do it.

The aircrafts are going AOG on a daily basis. The crews have been well and truly pissed off over the last few years with this summer reaching new lows with regards to rostering and roster disruption, as a result the 75 guys are now refusing to work days offs any longer. Would be surprised if the 73 guys won't follow suit very shortly. And the summer has only started...

Given that most of the 73 guys are bashing the 100 in 28 days, combined with only two days off between runs of duty, there's not much in the way of days off to be bought...

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
26th Jun 2015, 06:56
The aircrafts are going AOG on a daily basis. The crews have been well and truly pissed off over the last few years with this summer reaching new lows with regards to rostering and roster disruption, as a result the 75 guys are now refusing to work days offs any longer. Would be surprised if the 73 guys won't follow suit very shortly. And the summer has only started...

Sounds like my line of work (emergency ambulance service). Flogged to the bone.

BTW - what is AOG?

HOODED
26th Jun 2015, 07:10
Sounds like my line of work (emergency ambulance service). Flogged to the bone.

BTW - what is AOG?

AOG= Aircraft on ground. Or if you prefer broken, not fit for flight. Ominous that this seems to occur more than usual when crews are working their socks off.....

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
26th Jun 2015, 07:17
Hooded - thank you. :ok:

Yet again, sounds like us lads and our Ambulances, "Control - our ambo has developed a fault - need to take it off the road", after 4 days of 14 hour shifts and one break per shift........

Narrow Runway
26th Jun 2015, 09:07
Really? You do shifts like that? Welcome to our world!!

Fortunately for us, rarely do we come across life threatening situations daily. Unlike an Ambulance team.

Keep up the good work. I mean it.

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
26th Jun 2015, 13:11
Really? You do shifts like that? Welcome to our world!!

Fortunately for us, rarely do we come across life threatening situations daily. Unlike an Ambulance team.

Keep up the good work. I mean it.

Hello Narrow Runway

Thanks for the kind comments and yes we do get days like that. People don't see/think we do but it happens.

Anyway back to planes

SCANDIC
26th Jun 2015, 19:41
Are Jet2 not interested in getting any second hand 767's

itsnotwhoyouknow
26th Jun 2015, 20:03
As is always the way with jet2. There is a cost implication. I.e. There is a cost to do it. Nothing works here unless it's for peanuts or free. The crews who do work are the peanut type. Cabin get no sales bonus now really. Flight getting sick of the rubbish. The 757 are short of crew so doubt they could fly further afield on a 767. As with ppjn they are onto bigger better things such as 707 ha ha.

mockingjay
27th Jun 2015, 11:34
Not Jet2.com and Jet2Holidays' finest moment. Live on SKY News are survivors saying that the company have stated none of their customers were affected where this is not the case. They are saying they've had no support whatsoever.

Big Tudor
27th Jun 2015, 12:53
Live on SKY News are survivors saying that the company have stated none of their customers were affected where this is not the case.

We can confirm that we have no Jet2holidays customers staying in the affected hotels.

Same quote, different interpretations.

G-LSAB looks like it is heading towards Tunisia on a positioning flight number so not sure that is considered 'no support whatsoever'.

DjerbaDevil
27th Jun 2015, 13:12
From the JET2 web site:

Latest Flight Information:

Tunisia Information

We will be bringing back those Jet2holidays and Jet2.com customers, who want to return home, today. Up to four aircraft will be arriving at Enfhida Airport this afternoon to repatriate those customers free of charge. Further details will be provided shortly.

We are offering customers departing on or before 24th July 2015 the option to cancel free or change their booking without amendment fees. We will be continuously reviewing our policy on this as more information becomes available.

We can confirm that we have no reports of injuries or fatalities among Jet2.com or Jet2holidays customers.

We would like to extend our sincere condolences to the families and friends of those affected by this appalling incident in Tunisia.

Our customers’ safety remains our number one priority and we are continuing to liaise closely with the relevant UK and local authorities.

- See more at: Status | Jet2.com (http://www.jet2.com/status.aspx#sthash.eIz20IxS.dpuf)

Jamie2k9
27th Jun 2015, 13:44
Jet 320

All operators are only doing it for PR, TOM may be quick off the mark but its PR saving as well.

Notice all operators are only allowing you to cancel hoildays for a month, ie unless the Goverment issue a no travel alert, you are going as it will hit our profits otherwise to refund and relocate you.....

Im have not seen Sky News but I expect its a handful of people in the grand scheme of things. TOM have yet to send people to hospitals to visit injure as well. The people on the news have little to be moaning about, compared to many others who have lost family......just running their mouths off on camera.

No operator will come off overly well.

HH6702
27th Jun 2015, 14:02
Well said Jamie

Trossie
27th Jun 2015, 14:04
Hope passengers will remember next time they book a holiday how Thomson reacted and how Jet2 reacted. I know with who I'll book next!!Just remind me how many Jet2 holidaymakers were staying in the affected hotels? Different circumstances require different actions. It would be wrong for any tour operator to be clogging up the system trying to rush their holidaymakers back when people who have been directly affected should be getting 'un clogged up' priority. It would seem reasonable that Thomson had to react very quickly as some of their holidaymakers were directly affected.

It might appear that 'Jet2_320' is one of these miserable 'chips on shoulders' people. How many tour companies would be happy to carry grumpy unreasonable gob-sh1ites like him, other than to take his money?

Big Tudor
27th Jun 2015, 15:16
Jet2 updating the website with regards to the horrible incident in Tunisia is just an immediate reaction to the very negative publicity at Sky News. To little to late.

Hope passengers will remember next time they book a holiday how Thomson reacted and how Jet2 reacted. I know with who I'll book next!!

Most of your comments regarding Jet2 have varied between plain wrong and distinctly puerile. Nice to see you're maintaining your own low standards. If you have an axe to grind with your employer then take it up with them rather than playing the keyboard warrior.

pug
27th Jun 2015, 15:34
Agree with the above. There were some departments working out of hours last night to reassure customers over the phone and offer advice, alongside various departments that are already established to provide 24 hour direct contact for customers overseas..

Logistically it's not exactly going to be easy to just send enough aircraft and crews straight away to rescue passengers who understandably just want to get out of there. But it appears that is what's happening..

Jet2_738
27th Jun 2015, 17:14
Jet2_320: Jet2 updating the website with regards to the horrible incident in Tunisia is just an immediate reaction to the very negative publicity at Sky News. To little to late.

The quote on the Jet2 website was there yesterday, on the same page. It has been up since the first news broke of the attack, so not an 'immediate reaction' to the negative publicity on Sky news. What happened in Tunisia is no fault of any of the tour operators.

What is their responsibility, is allowing people to cancel/change their upcoming holidays, and most importantly, get them home. Jet2 have sent 3 charter flights down to pick up stranded passengers in NBE, with a fourth on standby. Tomorrow, another aircraft is due to depart from MAN at 6:45am. Such times of crisis are a massive struggle for all tour operators affected. It will certainly lead to a dint in profits for Jet2, but they're doing everything they can to get people back home. As pug said, sending aircraft and crews down straight away is nothing short of a logistical nightmare. :ok:

buzz boy
27th Jun 2015, 19:49
I would treat the posts from Jet2_320 with the contempt they deserve. This is just another alias of a long time portrayer of bile, most of his previous aliases have been banned, i suspect this one will not last that long.

Trossie
27th Jun 2015, 20:32
If you have an axe to grind with your employer then take it up with them...Does anyone really think that he has ever worked for Jet2? Posts like this anywhere are usually from some twisted little 'wannabe' who is too incompetent for the job, whoever the employer. But hey, they can hide behind their keyboards...!

(Just look at that misguided username for starters!)

take-off
28th Jun 2015, 01:07
In regards to Tunisia , I think going by comments on Facebook , and the likes of those complaining, it is understandable they don't want to be there, but surely even the most stupid must realise , you can't just up and send a jets out to anywhere on a whim , a little respect too , to the poor souls that lost their lives , wouldn't go a miss, but I suppose this just shows what sort of society we live in , "it's all about meeeee!!!!" You would hope that something like this doesn't happen to them....... On a side not those complaining about jet2 not reacting fast enough , they had info on their home page before Thomas Cook , albeit behind Thomson but as I think Riu are part of Tui , would explain why Thomson and first choice are more involved ...

God bless those that have died , and safe passage home for their fellow family and friends ..

Just as a note I have stayed in said hotel a few years ago , so while not directly affected , it does make you think . Good night all .

GLAinsider
28th Jun 2015, 09:45
The Boeing 767 (CS-TFT) that has been emergency leased from Euro Atlantic is a direct result of LS having to operate rescue flights to Tunisia. It has cost a lot. Interesting that even though it has fifty seats more than the B752s in the fleet, it is not operating the rescue flights. Do LS want to make sure their liveries are visible on the rescue flights?

DjerbaDevil
28th Jun 2015, 10:11
The Boeing 767 (CS-TFT) that has been emergency leased from Euro Atlantic is a direct result of LS having to operate rescue flights to Tunisia. It has cost a lot. Interesting that even though it has fifty seats more than the B752s in the fleet, it is not operating the rescue flights. Do LS want to make sure their liveries are visible on the rescue flights?

What a snide remark and what lack of empathy! Obviously anyone wanting to return from Tunisia, after such dramatic and deadly circumstances, would expect to be welcomed on board by JET2 crews and flown back in JET2 aircraft to feel reassured.

From the JET2 web site:

Tunisia Information (28.06.15 10.00)
Jet2.com and Jet2holidays will now be cancelling all flights and holidays to Tunisia up to and including 5th July 2015. Jet2holidays customers will be offered a full refund or the option to change their booking without an amendment fee. Jet2.com customers will be given a full refund.

In addition, those customers with Jet2holidays booked up to and including 31st July 2015 will also be allowed to change their booking without an amendment fee.

Two flights arrived back in the UK from Tunisia yesterday, bringing back 313 Jet2holidays and Jet2.com customers. Today we have 336 confirmed passengers returning home to Glasgow and Manchester Airports on two aircraft. A third aircraft is also available to repatriate our remaining passengers who may want to return home. We also have additional aircraft and crew on standby as required.

Customers in Tunisia wishing to return to the UK today should please call +44 113 387 9501.

Customers in Tunisia are being contacted via text message, mobile and email to update them regarding travel details.

We can confirm that we have no reports of injuries or fatalities among Jet2.com or Jet2holidays customers.

We would like to extend our sincere condolences to the families and friends of those affected by this appalling incident in Tunisia.

GLAinsider
28th Jun 2015, 12:00
The B767 wet lease is a combination of meanly lots of tech aircraft last Friday (around 7 at one point) and the two extra Tunisia flights.Is this just coincidence or is the age of the fleet really becoming a problem now?

Jet2_738
28th Jun 2015, 15:31
Tunisia Information (http://www.jet2.com/tunisia-information)

New Tunisia Information Page. The page details that;

A third aircraft is on standby at NBE
Jet2 are carrying passengers home from other tour operators
The CEO and 5 other senior members are in Tunisia now
Two additional aircraft and crew are on standby in the UK currently, if required

Good to see that the top dogs have flown down there, and they'll be visiting hotels in affected areas :ok:

Jet2_320
28th Jun 2015, 15:59
I was quick to criticise them when in the initial aftermath of the Tunisia incident Jet2 were legging almost a day behind Thomson with their reaction, also I’ve made it well clear on here how I feel we get treated by their management style.

So I guess it’s only fair to say well done for going out there and speaking to the customers!! I am positively surprised.

Twiglet1
28th Jun 2015, 16:50
Jet2-320
So next time just STFU perhaps?
Not the time to make anti employer comments let alone without any knowledge.
If you are a Nigel it does your profession no credit at all

stab3.5up
28th Jun 2015, 20:40
If jet2 had not sent there own planes the press would have had field day.

Global_Global
29th Jun 2015, 09:46
Don't know what Jet2-320 his problem is but even by internet standards he is a one sided negative b@st@rd with a big chip on his shoulders.. :yuk:

Trossie
29th Jun 2015, 10:00
(Did a quick check and it appears that Jet2 fly Boeings. What's this 'Jet2_320' cr@p?!!)

GLAinsider
29th Jun 2015, 17:38
If jet2 had not sent there own planes the press would have had field day. That was exactly my point. They could have had 50 extra seats on the ground in Tunisia if it wasn't for this consideration.

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Jun 2015, 09:21
That was exactly my point. They could have had 50 extra seats on the ground in Tunisia if it wasn't for this consideration.

But we didn't need all those extra seats, there weren't enough busses to bring the passengers to the airport to fill the seats. We even had an aeroplane leave NBE and go to night stop in MLA due to insufficient busses which then repositioned in the next morning when the busses were available.

Never assume anything.

Bob de Bildere
30th Jun 2015, 13:08
Reading the various comments about Tunisia and how Jet2 reacted have brought me out of PPRuNe retirement, after nearly 10 years.

We subbed in and used our own a/c in Tunisia, because we wanted to make sure our customers, at a distressing time, were cared for by our own pilots & own cabin crew. Nothing to do with PR, it was just about care & welfare.

TUI were quick to launch rescue flights because this tragic incident took place at a TUI exclusive hotel and almost immediately after it occurred, the Belgian Government advised against all travel to Tunisia (something the UK Government has yet to do and probably will not), which meant that Jetairfly a/c were launched from Belgium straight away and Thomson followed shortly after, once it became apparent there were fatalities and they were very likely to be TUI customers.

TCX had aircraft in Tunisia Saturday, that were scheduled anyway.

Our first scheduled flights, were due on Sunday

At 0900 Saturday, COBRA met and decided not to alter the UK FCO travel advice for Tunisia. We then decided to launch our 3 rescue flights and bring back any Jet2 customers (plus some TUI/TC/Monarch, free of charge), who wanted to come home and the first two arrived back in LBA & MAN Saturday night.

Just thought it right to set the record straight.

My thoughts are with the friends & relatives of the victims and those at TUI, who have had to deal with this first hand.

no sponsor
1st Jul 2015, 13:29
Jet2 the caring airline? What a load of codswallop.

snowman 1
1st Jul 2015, 13:51
no sponcer
more detail please on your above post?
I have used jet2 many times and never had a problem with them.
sm1

JB007
1st Jul 2015, 21:43
Working for them is a different experience!

2 more resignations this week on the B757 fleet!

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
2nd Jul 2015, 06:44
Crazy amount of resignations / crew leaving for pastures new.

Are J2 actively employing new pilots or do they have a revolving door policy on crews?

Artie Fufkin
2nd Jul 2015, 07:17
"I wonder if the campers realise, behind all the fun and knobbly knees competitions, we have this completely ruthless organisation"

Squadron Leader Clive Dempster DFC, commenting to Gladys Pugh about camp host Ted Bovis being sacked for asking for a reasonable pay rise after 16 years of loyal service at Maplins.

DADDY-OH!
2nd Jul 2015, 12:31
JB007

And you would know because....?

emsie
3rd Jul 2015, 22:10
It's not just revolving for the crew! The OCC have this policy too

HeartyMeatballs
4th Jul 2015, 19:28
I'm thinking about applying to them as flight deck as I want a home base. I enjoy my current job but I'm sick of committing.

Can anyone tell me what the financials are like for the company. I read their last annual report a while back. What do people think long term?

I ask as I work for an extremely stable airline but I really want to be based closer to home but don't want to risk it.

I'm a little uncertain what people mean when it's revolving doors. What does that mean in the context of Jet2?

Mr Angry from Purley
4th Jul 2015, 19:58
Are crews resigning on 3 months notice (e.g. by time served summer will nearly be over!)

Facelookbovvered
5th Jul 2015, 19:05
I doubt anyone on here can answer your question, Jet2 have a healthy balance sheet and cash reserves and a sound business plan with a loyal mainly northern customer base.

If you get the base you want/need its worth a punt, most of the people that i know who work there seem happy, but are not happy about roster stability and it would appear pilot turnover is increasing.

All down to basing, most will put up with all kinds of crap if they can sleep in their own bed on a night

Facelookbovvered
8th Jul 2015, 09:17
I see Jet2 have issued a life time ban to a Mr Marshall following his behaviour which it is alleged resulted in the flight diverting into Toulouse, it has also sent him an invoice for £4800.00 to cover its costs, it will be interesting to see how that plays out in court!!

Its about time airlines started getting tough with these idiots, there should be an industry wide no fly list for these people, sadly the human rights act will likely block any such approach

I applaud Jet2 for taking this stand

brian_dromey
8th Jul 2015, 13:21
Well done jet2, travel is a privilege, if it's not treated as such it should be taken away. With that in mind, What part of the Human Rights act would an industry-wide "no fly" list violate, or are you just spouting daily mail non-sense?

Mr Mac
8th Jul 2015, 21:13
FLB / BD
Have to agree, could we not just make passports be earned / respected rather than just given away and confiscated if it was felt that in a situation you had let the side down so to speak. I speak as a dual national (Swiss / UK) and have to say that I have yet to see or hear of any issues with Swiss flights being diverted in similar circumstances . However we can have some what tragic matrimonial issues with assault rifles for all concerned, so Rolex land is not perfect by a long way !

Regards
Mr Mac

Waldo1
8th Jul 2015, 23:49
Sorry, but what a load of crap...travel is not a priviledge, its a service...like your bus service, train service, ferry service...i dont condone these arseholes who make a f**k of themselves but some of the spotter comments on here are pure cringe....

Facelookbovvered
9th Jul 2015, 05:33
Nothing to do with the Daily Mail

I think you would find that an EU wide flight ban would be challenged in the ECHR on the grounds that it restricted the rights of free movement that all European citizens enjoy, an individual airline is of course free to chose who it decides to serve or not.

Lets just see if Mr Marshall quietly pays up or decided to ignore/fight Jet2 invoice for costs, if Jet2 have served him any alcohol on board then i suspect Jet2 would fail at court. They would also have to prove that the diversion was necessary, not a knee jerk reaction by the Captain to the CC complaining about some one supping their own alcohol, a court might find it contradictory that someone is allowed to drink alcohol on board, but only if it was bought on board.

I am not in anyway defending this idiot, but short of making flights a no alcohol flight its very difficult to get balance right for both the airline and passenger, but unless your flying on a Privilege aircraft, few would see flying in single class a privilege these days......:suspect:

Mr Mac
9th Jul 2015, 12:35
FLB
Mute point, but you are not restricting freedom of movement as you still have land and sea option, only the flying option, which although making life difficult does not impede travel. As for the call to divert I believe that the Captains decision as to if he / she feels that the passenger causes a clear threat to plane or passengers would override any other concern. I take the point on the alcohol possibly being bought on board or Duty Free being consumed on board, however I would think this would still be overruled by captains decision on security of plane/ passengers / crew.

Waldo 1
It used to be a Privilege now because of idiots like this its a chore !!

Regards
Mr Mac

Ivan aromer
9th Jul 2015, 17:15
FLB
Mute point, but you are not restricting freedom of movement as you still have land and sea option, only the flying option, which although making life difficult does not impede travel. As for the call to divert I believe that the Captains decision as to if he / she feels that the passenger causes a clear threat to plane or passengers would override any other concern. I take the point on the alcohol possibly being bought on board or Duty Free being consumed on board, however I would think this would still be overruled by captains decision on security of plane/ passengers / crew.

Waldo 1
It used to be a Privilege now because of idiots like this its a chore !!

Regards
Mr Mac
+1

SCANDIC
10th Jul 2015, 16:02
Looks like the Privilege 75 is tech yet again on remote

EK77WNCL
10th Jul 2015, 16:25
What's Jet2 done with it's Enfidha flights? Shame for their first year, they don't have much luck with North Africa...

muggins
10th Jul 2015, 17:14
What's Jet2 done with it's Enfidha flights? Shame for their first year, they don't have much luck with North Africa...

They've done the same as TOM and TCX and cancelled all flights to Tunisia until at least 31 Oct. This follows the change in advice from the FCO to "the Foreign and Commonwealth Office now advise against all but essential travel to Tunisia"

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tunisia

in fact the Jet2 site now has:
Jet2.com and Jet2holidays made the decision earlier this week to stop selling flights and holidays to Tunisia for the remainder of 2015 and summer 2016.

SCANDIC
16th Jul 2015, 14:15
What jet2 need is a couple of second hand 76's in the jet2 holidays scheme

ericlday
16th Jul 2015, 14:28
and what is your reasoning behind the 76 suggestion ?

DjerbaDevil
16th Jul 2015, 14:39
What jet2 need is a couple of second hand 76's in the jet2 holidays scheme

If they were proposing to go long haul the B767s would be ideal but there isn’t any indication that they will and from the report below, they are saying that long haul isn’t in their plans:

Special Report: Jet2 tops million customer mark with traditional package strategy
Special Report: Jet2 tops million customer mark with traditional package strategy - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2015/07/16/55950/special+report+jet2+tops+million+customer+mark+with+traditio nal+package+strategy.html)

The operator continues to grow and, according to chief executive Steve Heapy, it will continue to “focus on what it does best – package holidays you can trust”, rather than branching into long-haul or “unnecessary expansion” in the south.

SCANDIC
16th Jul 2015, 14:44
I thought they might of given the long haul a bash, they seem to know their stuff, plus if they bought them out right no lease charges on them either, they could operate them for shorter distances like your turkeys and Greece's

2Planks
16th Jul 2015, 15:40
EK7.... Just had an e mail pushing Girona big style - I don't think that was on the schedule so perhaps it was the only place in Spain where a slot was available.

Ian Brooks
16th Jul 2015, 16:53
Think they might have missed the boat with LH as TCX are sweeping all
from far and wide judging by their loads ex MAN

Ian

Penworth
16th Jul 2015, 19:13
As an employee of Jet2 I'm glad they're not looking at getting into long haul. Much as I'd love them to branch out and expand into different areas, the company is only making £40m profit a year, much of which could be wiped out expanding into long haul, where the costs can quickly rack up with tech aircraft and so on. I don't know how much the long haul adds to Thomas Cook's bottom line, but they're still a loss making company at the moment. The aircraft may be full but when you compare their prices to Thomson and Virgin you can see why.

El Bunto
18th Jul 2015, 13:14
G-CELA has completed air tests out of Dublin over the past couple of days and was ferried back to Leeds late last night.

Jet2_738
19th Jul 2015, 15:41
http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Dart_Group_Plc/Shared_Resources_(Images,_docs_etc)/Documents/Report_And_Accounts/Preliminary-Results-2015.pdf

Dart Group have announced their preliminary unaudited results for the year up to 31 March 2015. Group turnover increased 12%, whilst underlying Group operating profit increased 3%.

After accounting for an exceptional provision of £17.0m, in relation to possible passenger compensation claims for historical flight delays under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, Group profit before tax, fell by 5% to £40.2m (2014: £42.1m).

Still, a very impressive group profit, especially given the rise in EU261 claims. :ok:

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
19th Jul 2015, 18:33
G-CELA has completed air tests out of Dublin over the past couple of days and was ferried back to Leeds late last night.

What was up with her? Routine maintenance or gone tech?

Chesty Morgan
19th Jul 2015, 19:27
C Check....

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
19th Jul 2015, 19:56
C Check? Usual maintenance then.

Honiley
19th Jul 2015, 21:04
The turnover for this group is over £1bn! A falling profit on last year of just £40m is far from impressive! In fact, quite worrying!

Chesty Morgan
19th Jul 2015, 21:52
It was actually an increase on last year minus a one off £17M reduction for the EU261 thing. Close to 6%, which is similar to BA in 2013/14.

But then you knew that.

pug
19th Jul 2015, 21:58
But the heads at the top know that.. Anyone that was in the Directors presentation would know that too.. Emphasis on 'most busuness owners wouldn't get out of bed for an £X profit margin'..

Penworth
20th Jul 2015, 14:57
Those clueless investors obviously haven't a clue either, Honiley. The shares in Dart Group have jumped 7% in the last few days since the financial results were announced - Dart's shareholders are clearly very worried! :ugh:

Global_Global
20th Jul 2015, 19:26
Honiley you are such an expert: as you mentioned on 16th Jan 2008, 16:03 I would put Jet2 fairly high on the list of potential casualties for 2008!

What is your problem? :cool:

castleford tiger
22nd Jul 2015, 06:32
Financially Dart are one of the strongest companies by some margin.
They own over 85% of their fleet.
They have no debt.
They have a net cash position ( even allowing for all the restricted cash).
They have invested heavily over the last few years.
They are UK based including the call centre.
They have built a holiday business taking over 1 million customers in under 5 years.

As shareholders the price has doubled in the last two years and gone up 25 times from a low point of 16p.

Running any business you will get those "knockers" . It gets a little tiresome on here listening to those ex employees moan.
I for one think they do a great job and have offered those of us in the north a great choice of destinations.

Mr A Tis
22nd Jul 2015, 10:20
G-CELA "C" check, this old girl is almost 29 years old. Does she have low hours for her age? I see that a younger LC was scrapped recently at Kemble.
Is she more valuable to the Jet2 fleet as she is a QC variant?

TSR2
22nd Jul 2015, 10:41
What is your problem?

Think he/she needs a little more time ;)

DjerbaDevil
22nd Jul 2015, 11:44
Financially Dart are one of the strongest companies by some margin.
They own over 85% of their fleet.
They have no debt.
They have a net cash position ( even allowing for all the restricted cash).
They have invested heavily over the last few years.
They are UK based including the call centre.
They have built a holiday business taking over 1 million customers in under 5 years.
As shareholders the price has doubled in the last two years and gone up 25 times from a low point of 16p.

Couldn’t fault you on the above but since the shares have doubled in tha last two years and the company couldn’t be in a better financial position, can you confirm that the staff salaries and benefits have seen the same percentage increases?
Yes, you have mentioned all the Dart group’s achievements but you have forgotten the people that have worked hard to get the Group where it is today. No CEO nor any Director/manager etc., is of any use if they don’t have staff to diligently carry out their instructions.
Pilots for example have no salary increments, so once employed they have no other reason to stay other than for their own convenience. There are no travel concessions, no salary increments, no share or profit bonuses. Even Michael O’Leary has recently discovered that he needs to be nicer to staff if he wants to keep them and that has even turned the heads of JET2 pilots to look and even go to Ryanair for a better deal. Obviously staffing costs have to be kept down but if it causes more expenses elsewhere due to extra recruitment costs and training costs, then the shareholders aren’t getting a good deal.

The JET2 Holidays Tour Operating is a fairly new venture and has grown beyond anyone’s imagination, a superb achievement. Rumours would indicate, however, that the quick growth has brought with it many more chiefs than necessary and too few coal face workers. In the past this imbalance and/or empire building has brought down many UK tour operators.

Just a little constructive critisism for you to consider but with no intention to detract from the Dart Group’s excellent trading position.

supermarine
22nd Jul 2015, 13:46
That is not constructive criticism, more of a whinge :=

Penworth
22nd Jul 2015, 16:19
It may be a whinge, but it also happens to be 100% spot on, and accurately reflects the feelings of the staff :ok:

DjerbaDevil
22nd Jul 2015, 18:31
That is not constructive criticism, more of a whinge

A fair comment if it comes from a blinkered employer that considers his employees as no better than his expendable razors. The staffing policy of saying “if you don’t like it PFO!” eventually comes back on one and bites. Today, as ‘castleford tiger’ described, the Dart Group is in possession of many assets and owned aircraft plus no debts and cash in the bank, added to which a massive turnover of 1.5 billion pounds.....but what about their most important asset, their staff? Not worth mentioning it seems and that from a self confessed important shareholder in the Dart Group.

An airline and tour operator are heavily dependant on their staff for each and every action. It is the efficiency and diligence of the staff that make the difference between making a profit or a thumping great big loss. It would appear to be reasonable therefore for senior management to spare no effort to develope loyalty and diligence from their staff. And one way to achieve this is to reward staff for their efficiency and productivity and particulary for their years of loyal service.

Here’s a video showing some considerable enthusiasm from JET2 staff and long may it last........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLSFg9eA9c&feature=youtu.be&t=49s

gorter
22nd Jul 2015, 18:52
Running any business you will get those "knockers" . It gets a little tiresome on here listening to those ex employees moan.

Castleford. Did you ever ask any of the directors (like you said you would) why so many employees left jet2 the first second they could. 15% of the pilots (give or take a couple), God knows how many cabin crew and other staff.

crewmeal
23rd Jul 2015, 06:29
I really have to congratulate Jet2 for taking the initiative in banning this scum from ever flying again. It's great that a carrier comes up with a register to prevent people from flying. Let's hope all carriers contribute.

Drunken yob strips, spits and abuses airline staff on holiday flight (From Evening Times) (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/13486953.Drunken_yob_strips__spits_and_abuses_airline_staff_ on_holiday_flight/)

This has got to be one of the worst examples I've seen.

El Bunto
23rd Jul 2015, 06:36
It's great that a carrier comes up with a register to prevent people from flying. Let's hope all carriers contribute.

No-flight registers are quite common in the USA, usually with an interesting mix of 'inhabitants'; the vulgar end of the spectrum and also the respectable business-class traveller caught-out using hidden-cities once too often.

However sharing them across companies is not practised due to problems of discrimination and collusion.

Jet2_320
23rd Jul 2015, 10:07
Scratchingthesky your previous post is a very accurate observation of the current status of the company.
The situation you describe above is made even worse by new recruits not being able to fly both the NG and the Classic until they have done at least 6 months of service and done a conversion course which is another burden on the training system.

tonker
23rd Jul 2015, 15:49
Scratchingthesky: you nailed it.

I hope something's sorted out soon, and it isn't a token half measure.

Cuillin Hills
23rd Jul 2015, 16:18
Initial telephone interview is still all about "would you be willing to accept a 70% contract?" or "are you aware that you will be paid 50% salary during training until line check?"

No thanks.

Jet2_320
23rd Jul 2015, 18:08
Cuillin Hills thats 90% of the problem; HR and 737 fleet management have no appreciation for the problems they got themselves into with regards to crewing levels and staff moral. Neither do they have any idea how many resignations are still about to head their way.

4Screwaircrew
23rd Jul 2015, 22:48
Jet2_320 I believe you have summed up the problem, the 2 fleets are like 2 separate airlines.

tocken
24th Jul 2015, 09:34
What started out as a nice little flying job as turned into dare I say it a " poisoned Chalice ". Pilots that have been with Jet2 the neck end of 10 years are starting to leave and many more are seriously thinking of doing so. If you set aside the issues of older aircraft, slave ship rosters on the 737, middle management who have taken their eye off the ball..etc..we are still almost 2k per month less ( net ) in the pocket department from FR, EZ. As other posts suggest, it's only a matter of time before the experience levels start to become a concern in both seats. They need to start paying what people are really worth..increments would be a good starting point

Jet2_320
24th Jul 2015, 12:12
Increments (in the amount of pilots leaving)!!! Big chance

TSR2
24th Jul 2015, 13:03
They need to start paying what people are really worth.

Why ... what's so special about pilots. There will always be people willing to work for less than you ... and experience has no value ... that's life unfortunately.

Twiglet1
24th Jul 2015, 17:31
TSR
Experience should and does have a value. The problem that is the public perception of pilots is the glam and the highly salary which is these days far from correct. I would say however that pilots are also very clever and they should know that at Jet 2 it's work work work in summer and relax in winter and moan of loads of standby and
no flying - you don't hear this on web sites though. Loosing crews is nothing new, opportunity for Command and new entrant first officers. More happy ness and salaries are less.
Will the Company react and try fix - only time will tell

taxi_driver
24th Jul 2015, 20:58
They are getting in quite a mess. Today 3 hour + delays due crew shortages leaving them at the mercy of big eu261 claims? Take a look at the arrivals and departures board.

On the back of the drag curve with pilot numbers? No longer a matter of simply replacing the leavers, but needing to think and anticipate those that are likely to leave. Still they persist with unattractive 50 and 70% deals like hagglers at a boot sale with little understanding of a changing job market.

Intensive in house type training in the peak season? Maybe a bad idea when it pulls valuable resources from front line flying.

Large fleets of older aircraft. Maybe not such great value for money when spending large sums recovering casualty aircraft, chartering short notice stand in cover and propping up the operation with king airs and biz jets shipping crew and engineers about.

DjerbaDevil
24th Jul 2015, 21:34
They are getting in quite a mess. Today 3 hour + delays due crew shortages leaving them at the mercy of big eu261 claims?

Are you sure? If so please indicate the airport. The only 'lengthy' delay registered for 24 July was a flight from LBA which was 62 minutes late departing.

taxi_driver
24th Jul 2015, 21:42
The 922 and 921 ex Man. I can only presumbe all standby and spare crew cover has been exhausted?

Flying Wild
24th Jul 2015, 21:42
They are getting in quite a mess. Today 3 hour + delays due crew shortages leaving them at the mercy of big eu261 claims? Take a look at the arrivals and departures board.

Not quite sure where you get your information from. One delay down to a leased aircraft going tech, swapping onto a company spare. The other down to technical issues down route with pax recovered by spare aircraft from ALC and the UK.

Nothing to do with crew shortages.

taxi_driver
24th Jul 2015, 21:58
A 4 hr delay, at the biggest base, which normally has full airport standby cover? Surely shows a shortage of some sort?

Jet2_738
24th Jul 2015, 22:31
A 4 hr delay, at the biggest base, which normally has full airport standby cover? Surely shows a shortage of some sort?.

The LS921/2 was scheduled to be operated by -ISY, leased from Privilege but instead was operated by -LSAH, due to the aircraft going tech, like Flying Wild said. Hardly surprising given -ISY's recent form - only came back into service on Sunday after going tech, again... :ok:

737James
24th Jul 2015, 23:18
I saw an interesting comment in a Midlands paper today Jet2 say pax numbers are up 44% this year at EMA and early booking figures for 2016 suggest up 25% on this time last year for the following summer. So looks like some good growth in that market

JM926
25th Jul 2015, 20:19
In fairness today there were delays across the board in various airlines due to Spanish strike action. Don't think that's due to crewing levels

taxi_driver
26th Jul 2015, 17:27
Slot delays in peak summer are a fact of life for all operators. My gut feeling is that manning levels are under severe strain right now at jet2. To take a 4-5 hr delay at a main base with an operator that supposedly keeps 4 aircraft + crew on airport standby indicates a severe shortage of some sort?

I have no dog in the race, other than alot of ex colleagues who earn a living there. I only hope that management there grasp the severity of the problem in time.

Waldo1
26th Jul 2015, 22:06
Seen a 757 climbing out of Malaga today heading for Alicante, what would that have been for?

GLAinsider
1st Aug 2015, 22:02
Anyone know why it took so long to position AH from LBA into MAN tonight to operate EXS781?

nonfrequentflyer_NCL
9th Aug 2015, 18:21
Flew in to NCL last night on G-GDFO from Pisa (yep, was on a Jet2 bucket and spade holiday) and for an old bird she was spot on. Pilot was excellent, kept everyone informed of the bits we needed to know, safe flight, plane spotless, excellent cabin crew.

Think the Pilot name was David Eels but I was 3 glasses of vino to the wind at this point and listening to The Style Council so I may be wrong on this.

Bravo Jet2, a thoroughly excellent flight in and out on an old 737 300 and a great holiday.

Ivan aromer
11th Aug 2015, 16:01
Well someone thinks they are doing something right!
Despite the suits (and some in uniform) in LFFH, the share price is moving along nicely.
Keep up the good work boys and girls!

supermarine
11th Aug 2015, 16:20
OOOh the positivity will annoy Taxi Driver :D

scr1
14th Aug 2015, 18:32
Well done to jet 2 for doing this

Airline bill for 'disruptive' Jet2.com passenger - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33934259)

About time

Chitty
15th Aug 2015, 18:11
hi just been reading this online about jet2 passenger getting a 2,700 bill for been disrupted.
and it say jet2 which fly's from Glasgow Edinburgh and Aberdeen?
didn't think jet2 did flights from Aberdeen is this a new base we don't know about.
Jet2 air rage yob who terrorised cabin crew on flight to Ibiza - gets hit with £2,700 bill - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jet2-air-rage-yob-who-6255393)

Ivan aromer
16th Aug 2015, 04:08
Jet2 air rage yob who terrorised cabin crew on flight to Ibiza - gets hit with £2,700 bill - Mirror Online
A good idea but getting a bill and paying a bill are rather different.
Will he pay, I rather doubt it.

Penworth
16th Aug 2015, 08:31
Yes but clearly the whole point of this initiative isn't to get a few grand out of these people, it's to get the message out through the media that Jet2 isn't an airline which will tolerate this kind of behaviour. It will leave you stranded at whichever airport they divert to and it will have you arrested and it will ban you for life and it will bill you. Got to be some kind of a deterrent - good on them!

rutankrd
16th Aug 2015, 08:46
Jet2 air rage yob who terrorised cabin crew on flight to Ibiza - gets hit with £2,700 bill - Mirror Online
A good idea but getting a bill and paying a bill are rather different.
Will he pay, I rather doubt it.

Will he pay now probably not but when the High Court Bailiffs arrive at his door unannounced with a warrant to seize and an inflated bill nearer £5,000 he will else find himself bankrupted AND sans Tele/PC and car !

The days have gone when these debts aren't recovered by businesses !

Ivan aromer
16th Aug 2015, 09:25
The days have gone when these debts aren't recovered by businesses !
Yes, I agree. But we are talking about Jet2 here.

CaptainDoony
16th Aug 2015, 12:57
and it say jet2 which fly's from Glasgow Edinburgh and Aberdeen?
didn't think jet2 did flights from Aberdeen is this a new base we don't know about.

They don't fly from Aberdeen currently but the ABZ social media pages have been hinting at the last week or so of an "exciting, big announcement" that is imminent.

Consensus on the ABZ board is that it is going to be a based LCC operating long overdue leisure flights out of ABZ. LS themselves have previously expressed an interest in operating out of ABZ.

Mirror article perhaps knows something or is it usual UK tabloid reporting standards?

GLAinsider
19th Aug 2015, 14:38
I remember that FlyGlobespan tried to make a go at ABZ in the 00's but it was tough going up there back then. Maybe things are different now. I doubt Aberdeen can sustain more then a couple of B733s and some VERY carefully chosen routes.

toon22
19th Aug 2015, 15:27
..... Monarch tried too - from AGP. Great loads, the only problem was that those canny Aberdonians wouldn't pay a penny more than the equivalent service from MAN, so you had 50 minutes extra flying for zero incremental revenue. Jet 2 beware!

EK77WNCL
20th Aug 2015, 00:15
I'm in Aberdeen now and stuff (holidays) seem so expensive!

SCANDIC
31st Aug 2015, 21:18
Any new aircraft coming or expansion for the future

TartinTon
31st Aug 2015, 21:27
..... Monarch tried too - from AGP. Great loads, the only problem was that those canny Aberdonians wouldn't pay a penny more than the equivalent service from MAN, so you had 50 minutes extra flying for zero incremental revenue. Jet 2 beware

The problems started when Globespan showed up. Contrary to toons post, loads AND yields were good for Monarch until GS showed up offering a whole other range of destinations. The problem is that the market just ain't that big from ABZ and with more choice came lower yields until the airport ended up with next to nothing.

flyby1
3rd Sep 2015, 06:20
Order of 27 800NGs to be delivered from Sept 2016.

Chesty Morgan
3rd Sep 2015, 06:24
Source?......

sixfootfive
3rd Sep 2015, 06:47
Flight Global

CaptainDoony
3rd Sep 2015, 07:05
A surprising move.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/jet2-orders-27-737-800s-416346/

simonwa
3rd Sep 2015, 07:11
Also now announced on Jet2 website:
Annual General Meeting Statement 2015 | Jet2.com (http://www.jet2.com/News/Annual_General_Meeting_Statement_3rd_September_2015/)

GLAinsider
3rd Sep 2015, 08:52
Is the NG maximum 189Y or bigger?

737aviator
3rd Sep 2015, 09:46
189 on the 800, 220 on the 900 due to addition of another emergency exit.

GLAinsider
3rd Sep 2015, 10:09
Company announcement mentions "improved and stylish new cabin interior". I really hope someone has taken note of the lovely relaxed feeling inside the all light grey G-POWM that has been on lease from Titan. At a time when the company is focused on reducing stressful situations in the cabin, it is high time the garish, bright red and dark grey interiors were dropped from all Jet a/c and certainly not repeated in any new a/c purchased.

iaveight
3rd Sep 2015, 10:12
Order confirmed with Boeing for new 737-8 .........

ETOPS
3rd Sep 2015, 13:23
Interesting statement from PM that this new order is for both replacement and expansion. They operate 17 x B738 at the moment so will have 10 extra frames available if only those are replaced. However some of the 733 fleet are approaching 30 years old so it may be a "mix and match" situation - an increase in seats either way...

SWBKCB
3rd Sep 2015, 16:32
Would expect they would be replacing the 733's and 757's where they can and standardising on the 738 as much as possible?

Presumably as end of the line 738's before the 737MAX kicks in, LS will have got a canny deal?

Jet2_738
3rd Sep 2015, 16:49
Company announcement mentions "improved and stylish new cabin interior". I really hope someone has taken note of the lovely relaxed feeling inside the all light grey G-POWM that has been on lease from Titan. At a time when the company is focused on reducing stressful situations in the cabin, it is high time the garish, bright red and dark grey interiors were dropped from all Jet a/c and certainly not repeated in any new a/c purchased.

The new aircraft will feature the new Boeing Sky Interior, with the new LED mood lighting and more spacious overhead bins, toilets etc. As far as I'm aware, the seats will remain the same, as Jet2 were the primary inverters into Acro seating ltd. and still hold a significant stake in the business. The seats however might well change, but the provider will be the same company, with the idea of the slimline, lightweight seats, which Jet2 have boasted as one of their USP's. As for the colours... :ok:

Presumably as end of the line 738's before the 737MAX kicks in, LS will have got a canny deal?

I think the aim is to replace the 733's first (G-CEL* fleet mainly), the 752's later. Of course they have the likes of G-LSAK which is only 18 year old, but still have the likes of G-LSAA, nearing her 30's too.

In terms of the deal, the report states that;

"At current list prices, the total value of this transaction is approximately $2.6 billion though the Company has negotiated significant discounts from the list price."

Make of that what you will... :ok:

EK77WNCL
3rd Sep 2015, 22:26
Are they, Council Van? That's very positive news I'm happy now :)

Skipness One Echo
3rd Sep 2015, 23:27
Who certified a new cockpit for the 757? Anyone else upgrading?

Station_Calling
4th Sep 2015, 01:46
Who certified a new cockpit for the 757? Anyone else upgrading?

Innovative Solutions & Support did. Innovative Solutions & Support | Platforms and Systems (http://www.innovative-ss.com/platforms/index.asp?ID=53&L1=2&L2=1&L3=0&display=1)

EPRman
4th Sep 2015, 06:58
And Rockwell Collins.

My airline looked at the upgrade but there are no UK based simulators that are configurable so that was the end of that apparently.

GLAinsider
4th Sep 2015, 10:46
Who was crewing G-LSAB last night? Looked like a quiet trip!

Leeds Spotter
4th Sep 2015, 11:53
The purchase of 27 new aircraft is a huge change in Jet2 business plan. Understand 11 will be a straight replacement for leased aircraft, some to replace old aircraft and a few additions for expansion.
As a shareholder will be interested to see what winter 2107 plans will be, you cant have new aircraft sitting on the apron.
Breakdown seems to be 40% next 12 months balance following year.
With Ryaanir predicting air fares to drop 8% in the next 6 months interesting times.

Chesty Morgan
4th Sep 2015, 12:13
You'll be waiting a long time ;)

GLAinsider
4th Sep 2015, 12:14
I keep saying LS need to get in on the Scandinavian charter market in the Winter.

HeartyMeatballs
4th Sep 2015, 15:47
So what are they going to do in the winter? Sitting around doing nothing when your plane is paid for or the occasional Royal Mail flight keep you going but these aircraft will be able to do neither. It's not feasible to have them all sat on the deck with massive finance payments to be made. Moving into non holiday routes maybe or an increase of winter programs?

HH6702
4th Sep 2015, 16:33
They have a summer fleet at the minute of around 50? Aircraft?

How many aircraft fly during a normal day in January/February?
At least 30 I would say so as long as they are making 1 daily flight then it's making some money.

You may find that the paid aircraft sit locked up for the winter and they only use the new lease ones.

I'm guessing there will be slightly more winter flying but not much.
They can't do other business routes as they can't carry them on in the summer time unless this changes ?

They may lease the aircraft out in winter to other tour operators

BasilFawlty
4th Sep 2015, 20:54
30?!?! During the past winters that numbers weren't even reached on the busiest days. On the most quiet days it's not uncommon that LBA-AMS-LBA and LBA-DUS-LBA are the ONLY passenger flights of the day in the WHOLE Jet2 network, plus the Royal Mail flights in the evening.

GLAinsider
4th Sep 2015, 21:36
Although the company is dramatically "top heavy" with staff (by that I mean the day to day operation runs on a shoestring but LFFH and The Mint are chocablock with people who just seem to generate red-tape) there does not seem to be anyone actually actively looking for business to maximise the utilisation of the fleet (in the Winter). Someone at the top needs to take a serious step back and look at the bigger picture here. A/c only earn money when they are in the air, and sadly, most of the time ours aren't :-( Boeing may have given a massive discount on 27 B738s but that is no excuse not to kick ass and make money.

sixfootfive
4th Sep 2015, 22:31
I spent 8 years in LFFH. My bit of it certainly wasn't overmanned. Rather the contrary actually......

Ian Brooks
4th Sep 2015, 23:11
BasilFalty
I take it you just mean Leeds as there are flights ex Manchester every day

Ian

BasilFawlty
4th Sep 2015, 23:24
No I don't. Over the past winters there have been lots of Tuesdays and Wednesdays without a single passenger flight from MAN, BFS, BLK, EMA, EDI, and GLA.

Ian Brooks
5th Sep 2015, 00:01
I don`t think that is right for MAN but will have a look tomorrow sorry I
mean later today

BasilFawlty
5th Sep 2015, 00:31
I just checked the whole network for November - mid-December:

BFS:
Tuesdays: 0 flights (there's one to TFS which ends on November 17th and doesn't restart until late December)
Wednesdays: 0 flights (there's one to ACE which ends on November 18th and doesn't restart until mid February)

EMA:
Tuesdays: 1 flight: TFS
Wednesdays: 0 flights

EDI:
Tuesdays: 0 flights

GLA:
Tuesdays: 1 flight: TFS (there's also one to ALC which ends on November 10th and doesn't restart until late December)

LBA:
Tuesdays: 3 flights: AMS, DUS, TFS (there's also one to ALC which ends on November 10th and doesn't restart until April)
Wednesdays: 2 flights: AMS, DUS

MAN:

NCL:

So, as I said LBA has been and will still be the only base with passenger flights every day of the week during the whole winter season. And it has been like this for many years in a row now. ;)

Ofcourse BFS, EDI and NCL will still have their Royal Mail flights (as well as EMA, but that's only a destination, no mail aircraft are based there), but we were only discussing passenger flights now.

anothertyke
5th Sep 2015, 13:18
OK there's two days a week when it's more or less zero. But let's take a Friday in November as a representative non midweek winter day--- noting this is before the skiing season starts. What's the aircraft requirement to deliver that? I started working it out before getting fed up with red and yellow screens.

But I do agree with those who say this is a significant change in the business model and cost base. They will want to have enough of a baseload to be running those 27 around the year, allowing for a maintenance programme.

Leeds Spotter
5th Sep 2015, 15:44
I understand 11 of the new planes will just replace those on lease at the moment.
Three planes are to be retired this winter, so this takes care of all the aircraft Boeing will deliver up to the end of 2017.
I am sure will can see more retirements and with a growth forecast of 5% possible over the next three years, 10 will be for growth and another 4 retirements sweeps up all the new aircraft.
It is expected now Iran has done a deal with the west they will increase world oil availability by 10% in the next year. Opec producers need to increase output as their economies are under pressure. all reducing the price of a barrel of oil.
Jet2 having better fuel performance in future and a possible cheaper oil price, saving lease costs, may allow them to continue their present schedule.

LBIA
5th Sep 2015, 18:07
Boeing 737-300's G-CELB/D/S will be withdrawn from service this winter. These will be replaced with further 2nd hand Boeing 737-800s which are been acquired as replacements.
A further 5 ageing Boeing 737-300's will be withdrawn next winter 2016 to be replaced by the new fleet like-for-like.
The current 11x Boeing 737-800s which are leased will then have there leases cancelled and be replaced like for like on delivery of the new aircraft in 2017. Once they have gone they maybe some growth.

The Boeing 757-200 fleet will all under go heavy mantanice this winter with some receiving the glass cockpit upgrades and will all be kept in service for at least another 5 years and maybe beyond.

Meanwhile Boeing 737-300QC, G-CELR has now been converted permently to passenger flights only due to less aircraft been required for the overnight royal mail contract even though it will keep its cargo door. They maybe others to follow as well.

B737900er
5th Sep 2015, 18:10
The question being asked by many LS employees is - How are we going to pay for these planes?

Chesty Morgan
5th Sep 2015, 18:12
One can only assume that said employees can't read very well.

EK77WNCL
5th Sep 2015, 18:40
Which of Jet2's aircraft are leased?

BasilFawlty
5th Sep 2015, 18:48
According to GINFO:
G-GDFC, G-GDFD, G-GDFF, G-GDFJ, G-GDFS, G-GDFV, G-GDFW, G-GDFX, G-GDFY, G-GDFZ, G-JZHB, G-JZHC

B737900er
5th Sep 2015, 21:42
"Internal resources and debt" doesn't quite explain where they are going to find 2.6 Billion dollars.

If they can find that kind of money there isn't really any excuse for offloading a large portion of their workforce over the winter time.

After reading the other threads, it sounds like there won't be any crew left to fly their current aircraft, let alone 27 new ones!

Chesty Morgan
5th Sep 2015, 23:45
They don't need to find 2.6 billion dollars nor will they need to crew 27 new aircraft.

Anyway, "internal resources and debt" or, in English, a cash deposit and finance, answers quite nicely how they are going to pay for them which was the question in your first post.

Where they find the cash is a different question altogether.

Check Mags On
6th Sep 2015, 08:49
I wouldn't be surprised if the cost was more like $1.3 billion.
It is well known that Airlines do not pay the full list price.
What Jet2 actually paid is between Boeing and the Senior management of Jet2.
But at present exchange rates that is only about £32 million per airframe.

Does anyone think that other Airlines are actually paying cash for their orders. BA get theirs through leasing companies. I would very much doubt that even the Middle East carriers up front. They would probably pay a deposit and then finance them through a favourable ME bank.

All above ramblings is just my own thoughts.

anothertyke
6th Sep 2015, 09:18
Yes that's the ballpark I was thinking. So written down over 16 years @ 2000 flying hours/year that gives £1000 per hour in depreciation plus ??? in interest/cost of capital. For a two hour flight that's around £10-15 per single ticket.

That's probably manageable provided they can fill them up for the equivalent of two rotations for 250 days/year.

GLAinsider
6th Sep 2015, 22:33
Anyone know why LS517 (NCL-TFS) diverted into SCQ tonight? It picked up a 3.5 hour delay and has only just landed in TFS now. Appears NCL bound PAX have been HOTACd until tomorrow lunchtime.

flyby1
7th Sep 2015, 06:08
Diverted to SCQ I believe, and it was for a medical emergency.

Jet2_738
7th Sep 2015, 09:36
Anyone know why LS517 (NCL-TFS) diverted into SCQ tonight? It picked up a 3.5 hour delay and has only just landed in TFS now. Appears NCL bound PAX have been HOTACd until tomorrow lunchtime.

I've got family on the inbound NCL (LS518). The divert was indeed due to a passenger illness, though quite a lengthy delay for the offload of a passenger, and at an airport that also isn't very busy. Last nights crew ran out of hours, and PAX were given an 8€ meal voucher last night at the airport, bused to a nearby resort where they stayed overnight, with an all you can eat breakfast this morning, and on arrival into the airport an hour ago, were given a second lot of 8€ vouchers to spend in the departure lounge.

LS518A is scheduled as follows;

Departs TFS: 13:15 local
Arrives NCL: 18:00 local

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Sep 2015, 18:50
The length of time to stop somewhere en route to get medical assistance can vary hugely. It's not quite as simple as let the passenger off carry on to destination. There's plenty of paperwork to organise, and to set up the flight deck alone takes a good 20 mins at a frenetic pace. Who knows how long the patient was attended to prior to them disembarking, then there's all the bags to go through to find the people's bags who have disembarked. All this done at a provincial Spanish airport who would probably have had minimal ground crews to be able to attend to the operational requirements. To put it into perspective, I had a death on board just before last Christmas, we were 2 hours on the ground at a major international airport with excellent handling facilities.

Sounds like Jet2 did an excellent job in looking after the affected passengers:ok:

GLAinsider
7th Sep 2015, 19:16
The welfare provided in TFS sounds familiar. Some PAX still complain that not enough is being done for them though.

stab3.5up
8th Sep 2015, 06:43
It's a damed if you do damed if you don't with pax welfare I have found in many cases of disruption. Pasengers can be very odd creature. David Attenborough should do a wildlife program on them!!

GdLSF
8th Sep 2015, 06:46
Most passengers expect to pay next to nothing, but receive the earth especially if something goes wrong.

HeartyMeatballs
8th Sep 2015, 08:05
Come on, credit where it's due, but they were given £11.65 in food vouchers and given bed and breakfast. Pretty standard. Not bad at all, I'll agree, but excellent?

Cuillin Hills
8th Sep 2015, 09:03
The delayed airline passengers, on this flight, have been looked after considerably better than P & O ferry passengers and Eurotunnel customers delayed overnight, recently, at Calais due to industrial action, blocked ferry ports, invasion of the rail track etc. No all-inclusive hotels or food vouchers for them.

Most passengers will be accepting of the delay once the reason is communicated but there will always be those that will expect enormous compensation - whatever the reason.

Chesty Morgan
8th Sep 2015, 11:55
I've got family on the inbound NCL (LS518). The divert was indeed due to a passenger illness, though quite a lengthy delay for the offload of a passenger, and at an airport that also isn't very busy.

The reason for the majority of the delay was the requirement for an overweight landing inspection. There were no local 738 qualified engineers available. One was eventually found in LCG and it took him a while to drive down.

GLAinsider
9th Sep 2015, 11:14
Reported today that the 14 PAX were not in fact unruly but we're singled out by cabin crew because they were carrying a bag of salt in their hand luggage that the crew mistook for class A drugs. Anyone here know anything about this?

Here is the story : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3226236/14-men-thrown-Tenerife-flight-prank-involving-bag-SALT.html

Ivan aromer
9th Sep 2015, 13:38
Quote:Reported today that the 14 PAX were not in fact unruly but we're singled out by cabin crew because they were carrying a bag of salt in their hand luggage that the crew mistook for class A drugs. Anyone here know anything about this?
The ASR tells a rather different story!

Check Mags On
9th Sep 2015, 13:55
The only thing that was accurate in that news report is that there was 14 of them and they flew from Glasgow.

EI-BUD
9th Sep 2015, 23:01
Just in relation to comments about the new aircraft...

I'd say they got a super deal... The Max is coming so the current 738 model will be in decline.. Hence being replaced by Max? As a result I'd guess due to end of life of production they may have gotten deal broadly comparable to Ryanair.... Though thats debatable.. Clearly on the new model they wouldn't get the Ryanair deal.. Whatever it is..

My question still is about utilisation. What about Winter? Change or strategy? More business ops? Currently they are to all intents and purposes holiday package airline with city break and summer sun routes... They've relied on low cost fleet so aircraft could stay on the ground all winter.....!

GLAinsider
10th Sep 2015, 10:03
The airline is victim of its UK centric operation. EASYJET, RYANAIR, NORWEGIAN and now the Thomas Cook/Condor grouping etc. can switch their capacity (both crew and aircraft) between international bases to move with demand but Jet2 hasn't addressed this. For instance in the Canaries Thomas Cook UK is huge in the Summer but shrinks dramatically in the Winter, whereas Thomas Cook Scandinavia is the reverse and UK a/c and crews take up the slack. Jet2 need to seriously investigate a big Winter charter push both for Scandinavia and the emerging Winter markets from the former iron curtain countries into the Canaries and other Winter destinations.

Ian Brooks
10th Sep 2015, 11:16
Unless we are in the board room none of us will be aware of what is planned for 2 years on

Ian

Ivan aromer
10th Sep 2015, 15:30
Unless we are in the board room none of us will be aware of what is planned for 2 years on

Oh there is a plan then!!!

Ian Brooks
10th Sep 2015, 16:13
I`m not prive to the board room or even the cleaners room, I`m just stating the obvious.

Ian

GLAinsider
12th Sep 2015, 07:51
I wonder if this will include our new aircraft - http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N11I02M20150912?feedType=RSS&feedName=marketsNews&rpc=6

Honiley
13th Sep 2015, 15:57
I hear a little 'spat' between Privilige and Jet2, with the Spanish operator departing back to MAD and a pending court case - I think reliability of this B757 wasn't too great this year!

GLAinsider
13th Sep 2015, 20:18
Last year a B752 was leased from Titan (can't remember the registration) I think it was configured in 216Y. I don't think it went tech once. AFAIK G-POWM (Titan A320 180Y) has also been very reliable over this Summer. Looks like Titan leases are proving to be the better option.

Jet2_738
14th Sep 2015, 15:20
Looks like Titan leases are proving to be the better option.

I agree, but I'd imagine Titan is a fair bit more expensive than Privilege.

However, In this world, 'you get what you pay for...'

On another 757 related note; AA looks to have gone tech down in IBZ last night after operating the LS169 from MAN. According to the status page, Pax have been HOTACd overnight, and are due back later today. Not having much luck with 752s recently! :ok:

UPDATE: G-LSAA is now back in the air after an overnight tech stop in IBZ, en route to MAN

BAladdy
14th Sep 2015, 16:33
Does anyone know if the 737's that LS have just ordered are going to replace the 737-300's or the 757's?.

BasilFawlty
14th Sep 2015, 16:42
Has been answered already, read a few pages back.

CHEFSAM
16th Sep 2015, 07:38
hi, will be interesting to see what livery jet2 go with on the new 27 737 aircraft, new design? mix of silver and jet2 holidays?

personally would prefer them in silver with a slight change!

GLAinsider
16th Sep 2015, 19:13
I think it will be Jet2Holidays livery all the way from now on. I suppose the direct replacements for the B733s might copy the old livery as a mark of respect.

VickersVicount
16th Sep 2015, 20:41
I disagree. I dont think they will all be in J2H livery

EK77WNCL
21st Sep 2015, 23:52
Just out of interest, which of Jet2's 757's are ETOPS rated? And are any 737's?

BasilFawlty
22nd Sep 2015, 00:09
G-LSAB/C/E/K/N , or in other words: all the wingletted ones are ETOPS certified. There aren't any ETOPS 737's in the fleet as far as I know.

Jet2_738
22nd Sep 2015, 17:52
Whilst on the subject of ETOPS, what are Jet2 going to do to keep on seasonal USA flights, after the departure of the 752? Now I know there's a good 6+ years left in them yet, but what then?

From what I can see, they've got 2 options;

1. Buy Smaller
2. Buy Bigger

Straight over (without no north routing) from NCL (the most eastern) to EWR is just over 2,900nm.

So, for arguments sake, lets say the route deviates by 300nm. That's around 3,200nm, without room for diversion/missed app etc.

At the moment, the max range of the 757-200 is around 3,900-4,000nm - Enough to sufficiently do EWR from the UK, with room to divert.

However, the max range of the 737-800 is around 3,100-3,200nm - Certainly not sufficient for any trip across the pond without stopping.

So exploring option 1: Buy Smaller

The best option in order to keep a standard fleet is undoubtedly the 737-700ER.
It has a max range, with aux tanks, of around 5,600nm, a much smaller fuel cost/mile and a list price of around $10 million less than the list price of 737-800. Now we know that Jet2 have negotiated a 'significant discount' off list prices recently, so lets not really consider the price for now. The downside of course is the sacrifice of around 40 seats from the 738, and around 80 seats from the 752.

Exploring option 2: Buy Bigger

In terms of buying bigger, there is a bit more in the way of choice of aircraft. But, in order to keep the same fleet type there are only 3 options; the 767, 777, and 787.

An aircraft like the 777 is completely illogical, on many grounds for an airline like Jet2. So that leaves us with either the 767, or the 787. There are hundreds more 767s around the world than 787s, and as the aircraft model is ageing, the list price is depreciating. A recent drop in oil prices means a little less pressure on fuel efficiency also. The good news is, unlike the 757, the 767 is still in production. meaning Jet2 can buy either young, or if not brand new. The max range of the 763, is around 5,900nm, an extra 2,000nm on top of what the 752 can achieve. A common type rating is shared between both the 757 and the 767, meaning less in transition costs as well. The 767-300ER has a maximum all economy seating total of 350 seats - that's 85% more than the 738, and 50% more than the 752.

Of course any investment in new aircraft means the aircraft will have to earn its keep. In peak summer, Jet2 could easily fill a 763ER(WL) full of pax on the bucket and spade routes.
For example, S16 sees 4 flights a day from Manchester to Palma during the week on a mix of aircraft. Combining those 4 sectors onto 2 would save a massive amount of money, and could even mean expansion on other routes with existing aircraft.

Personally, I think buying bigger is probably more logical for Jet2, both on the summer bucket and spades (TFS,PMI,ALC,DLM), and on the New York (or possibly other USA winter destinations) flights. :ok:

BasilFawlty
22nd Sep 2015, 18:27
Or just operate a 738 to EWR with fuel stops in KEF, no big deal for only a dozen flights in total per year.

paully
23rd Sep 2015, 14:42
Or maybe their business plan might be different by then and they decide to no longer operate the Newark flights?

David Sharpe
23rd Sep 2015, 16:31
I have been taking a look at Jet 2 flights for Summer 2016 (based on early August peak) and comparing what's on offer for Summer 2016 compared to the same period last year.

I know that it's still early, and there is still time for a lot to change, but currently, after a cut back in flights last year when compared to 2014, it looks like a growth of around 10% for Summer 2016.

Summer 2015 saw a total of 625 x weekly flights (was originally 629 x weekly but only 2 of the 6 planned flights to Enfidha were replaced with an alternative) Summer 2016 is currently planned at 696 x weekly services.

There are 20 new routes (12 of these from the expanded base at Edinburgh Airport) with 2 new destinations (Gerona and Naples) There are 7 dropped routes (12 in total if you count the services to Enfidha which operated from 5 bases, these were originally planned but had been dropped by August)

The biggest gains in weekly flights look to be Alicante (+16 x weekly) Palma (+ 8 weekly) Faro (+ 7 x weekly) and Tenerife South (+ 7 weekly) with most of the Greek routes also seeing growth.

The biggest loser is Murcia, which is 15 flights per week down (routes from East Midlands, Edinburgh and Glasgow are dropped, with frequency reductions on the remaining routes)

In terms of UK bases, Manchester shows an extra 25 x weekly services, with Edinburgh (not surprisingly) showing 21 extra flights and Newcastle showing an extra 11 x weekly services. Services from the other bases are remaining stable (increases of between 1 and 5 x weekly services)

As I have said above, I know that there is still time for change. I do not know what Jet 2's history is like when comparing first releases with what actually operates, I guess it depends on early bookings, but hopefully most if not all of the potential growth will happen !!!

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2015, 21:28
Good few ex MH 77E's just came on the market... Could be quite a good cheap option for LS for cattle runs down to the Canaries and Balearics

BasilFawlty
23rd Sep 2015, 21:32
Are you drunk?

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2015, 21:48
Not that I know of...

Out of the box but if they can get them cheap... Not much different to training some crew up on an A330 as rumours have suggested.

BasilFawlty
23rd Sep 2015, 21:55
A full economy 772 is well over 400 seats, how on earth are they supposed to fill all those seats outside the high peak summer demand? It's just as rubbish as those so called A330 rumours.

EK77WNCL
23rd Sep 2015, 23:57
Keep it in MH config and re-upholster the A/C, sell the J seats for an extra £50-100 a pop and you have a 280-odd seater with PTV's, more capacity but easier to fill for a lot of the year

Not gonna happen but a nice idea I think

StoneyBridge Radar
24th Sep 2015, 09:38
Keep it in MH config and re-upholster the A/C, sell the J seats for an extra £50-100 a pop and you have a 280-odd seater with PTV's, more capacity but easier to fill for a lot of the year

Not gonna happen but a nice idea I think

That's barely half a dozen more seats than BA's 3 class configuration.

Too big
Too heavy
Too costly

Pure folly.

I agree with BasilFawlty; keep off the juice.

Skipness One Echo
24th Sep 2015, 09:55
Whilst on the subject of ETOPS, what are Jet2 going to do to keep on seasonal USA flights, after the departure of the 752?
It's an almost insignificant % of their overall operation, essentially shopping trips operated seasonally. Commercially it should be possible to fill any gap in the program with something else, it's not as if the company has a need to operated "prestige" routes, even though it's no longer seen as prestigious market tbh.
As to operating B777s, well European tried operating ex BA B747-236Bs and that didn't work out especially well alas. Too much aeroplane to fill with substantial engineering and training costs associated with a fleet that wouldn't be flown all that often I suspect.

Flew one last month mind, was quite surreal on the flight out of AMS watching the map as we flew past Ukraine.

GLAinsider
24th Sep 2015, 14:18
It's a pity we haven't got the Winter business to fill a big a/c. Looks like the MH sale might offer some bargains. Shame that it is a result of such tragic events.

http://leehamnews.com/2015/04/30/malaysia-air-fleet-restructuring/

EK77WNCL
24th Sep 2015, 15:22
I'm sure MAN could fill them on some routes in the winter... But another benefit if they were 100% owned is they just park them up for the winter...