PDA

View Full Version : UK AFI to EASA FI ?

Pringle 1
12th Oct 2011, 11:56
I would be grateful for any advice on the folowing :

I have converted my CAA CPL/IR to a UK JAA equivalent. I orginally held a CAA AFI (A) rating which on every subsequent FIE Certificate of Revalidation has been signed off as FI(R). My new JAA/EASA licence however, shows I still have an AFI(A) rating? Does this mean anything in terms of subsequent conversion to EASA when the time comes?

Secondly, I hope to be able to remove my (first solo/nav) restriction from my licence before April 2012. If I don't manage this, are there likely to be any changes after April 2012 to the requirement for 25 solo sign offs etc? Do I have until April 2014 to get them?

I instruct on SEP EASA aircraft.

I have phoned the CAA and visited their website update, but couldn't find satisfactory answers to either question.

Thanks

Whopity
12th Oct 2011, 15:08
I suspect as the number of AFIs remaining is quite small, nobody will have considered them. In theory, they should have been converted to FI ratings years ago but some were not.

Your JAA licence will automatically convert to an EASA license, but the non JAA ratings will not. As the transition period will take you to April 2014 you should have had time to effect the upgrade. The requirements are not changing, but as an AFI rating will not be valid on an EASA licence, the CAA would have to arrange a conversion to a FI(R).

Pringle 1
13th Oct 2011, 09:01
Thanks Whopity.

April 2014 will be plenty of time to sort things out.