PDA

View Full Version : Which format of airport codes do you log?

Cloud Chaser
9th Oct 2011, 10:35
Just curious what the majority of people use in their log books,
the four letter ICAO codes,
or the three letter IATA codes?

I had been using IATA, as I found them easier to recognize, but recently been to a few smaller airports which didn't have a three letter code assigned, and thinking I should perhaps be using the ICAO codes instead.

What's the consensus?

eckhard
9th Oct 2011, 11:36
I put the actual name of the airport, because my memory isn't good enough to recognise all the codes from the last 39 years!

Denti
9th Oct 2011, 12:24
In the paper logs i used ICAO codes, simply because many small airfields do not have IATA codes. Nowadays i use Logten Pro and input IATA codes which the software translates into ICAO codes. I find that i do not fly outside of the job anymore and therefore do not visit airports without IATA codes.

Dan Winterland
9th Oct 2011, 16:10
I use the full names as well. Not all airfields have codes which is no use if you like to do a bit of light aircraft flying. Writing ZZZZ for these would be pointless - unless you flew to Little Snoring!

Kingfisher
9th Oct 2011, 22:41
I use three letter codes, when I come to a small airfield I use the four letter code for it. The airfield name if very different from the code ie CAG Elmas goes in the remarks. What ever looks good in your logbook will be fine.

mrmum
9th Oct 2011, 23:47
ICAO if it has one, or full longhand name if not

ahramin
14th Oct 2011, 19:41
IATA if it has one, ICAO if not, full name or location if not a registered aerodrome.