PDA

View Full Version : The minefield of work experience.

FlyingSportsman
8th Oct 2011, 11:29
Afternoon Chaps,
At 17 I'm lucky enough to be fairly certain on what I would like to do in the future. Besides getting good grades at IGCSE & A-Level, I want other things to put on my CV to make me noticeable from the crowd. CCF ( RAF ) e.t.c are all well and good, but I would also like to try and get some work experience done! I've had visits at Redhill & Biggin, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Wondering if any of you have ideas on who to write/call/e-mail to see if it would be possible.
I understand the security implications at some airports, despite this, any ideas will be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

FS :ok:

ZOOKER
8th Oct 2011, 11:35
An indication as to what you would like to do in the future would be useful. :ok:

FlyingSportsman
8th Oct 2011, 11:57
Air Traffic Controller :E

ZOOKER
8th Oct 2011, 12:46
The problem with work-experience in ATC is that, (due to licensing reqiurements), there is little that you can actually do, apart from helping the ATSAs with strips, flight plans etc.
Years ago, it was possible to plug-in alongside working ATCOs, but ops-room distraction policies do not allow it now.
I remember one bod who the airport authority sent up to us for a day just wanted to sit in the rest room and read the papers. Do you want to come and sit on approach? Er no, thanks. I couldn't believe it.
Having said that, it's still worth contacting NATS, or the ATC units at your nearest airfields. Failing that, try the larger airport's HR departments, most airfields have websites and you can find the details there. Any background experience you can get is always useful, but of course the biggest hurdle is bank of aptitude tests, if you take the NATS route. These seem to cause more grief that the ATC Licence oral-board exams did years ago.
I don't know whether NATS have any kind of work experience schemes at the 2 ATC centres or their corporate HQ in Whiteley, but it's worth giving them a call.
Whatever happens, best of luck and keep us informed how you get on.

hammerthrower
8th Oct 2011, 15:57
I don't know if you considered joining the RAF as an Air Traffic Controller but after realising NATS have filled their required intake for the next year, I contacted my local AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office) who gave me a contact at RAF Prestwick (Inside NATS Prestwick). After I got in touch with them, they organised a day visit for me as I was in my last year at school (No time for a full week off). During my visit they let me plug in and listen to live aircraft (Civilian and Military), Went through the basics of what they so and I also had the opportunity to sit in the Distress and Diversion Cell for the North of the UK where they monitor 121.500Mhz and the military equivalent (243.000). I really had no intentions on signing up but it did let me into the ops room at Prestwick but it also made me consider my options. The types of controlling at Prestwick aren't that different as ScottishMil's work civvy flights as well. If you need a hand PM me and I'll be glad to help

AlanM
8th Oct 2011, 18:51
Live the Dream mate!!

Despite not being able to do anything of any 'worth' as some might think - you will love the exposure to it all. I did my school work Experience at Plymouth ATC in the mid 1980s and ended up in the RAF and then NATS as a controller. I still remember being sent to collect the bacon sarnies from the terminal and walking across the apron next to a Twin Otter and Dash 7. As a kid that was awesome. In fact some of the stuff I learnt then I still use today* ;-)
Good luck with it. Keep pushing - showing you are keen is important. Try more than one though, go for ATC, then a smaller AFISO or A/G unit.

(*Not only in sending people for a sarnie but flight planning and DEP messages etc)

ZOOKER
8th Oct 2011, 19:08
Alan,
sorry if I gave the wrong impression there. I myself started as an assistant, making the tea and butty-runs etc. It was a great experience, and I learnt a great deal of very useful stuff in a short time, which made the first bit of the ATCO course much easier.

AlanM
9th Oct 2011, 08:32
Zooker - that wasn't aimed at you or anyone - we used to get work experience children at TC when I was at West Drayton, and I think we had at least one at Farnborough when I was there.

I guess that it is the people who are at the unit who can make it great for them. Times have changed of course, and I am sure that health and safety has curtailed some of the excitement (and playing on the RT!!!) :eek: What might be mundane or boring to someone in the job can be the most inspiring time for the young ones! (I even ended up flying in an Aztec during my 5 days at Plymouth)

FlyingSportsman
9th Oct 2011, 09:28
Many thanks guys!

Hammer Thrower- I had considered the RAF and I'm in the RAF CCF section, the way you have suggested is a great idea as I have been waiting for nearly 6 months to hear about RAF Benson/Lyneham work experience!

Given me a little hope, and some good ideas about who to contact! Keep your eyes peeled, I could be appearing in an ATC tower near you soon ;)

fabs
9th Oct 2011, 12:20
You'd struggle to get into Lyneham mate! Seriously though PM me as might be able to help you out with work experience with the 2nd best military SATCO in Oxfordshire!

Grabbers
9th Oct 2011, 14:52
Fabs

2nd best?

fabs
9th Oct 2011, 15:23
It's a little joke I had with him a couple of weeks ago. As in 'of all the mil SATCOs in Oxfordshire mate I reckon you are the 2nd best', I guess you had to be there (I'm nothing to do with Brize either btw).

Grabbers
9th Oct 2011, 20:04
They must be joint 2nd. Or joint last, depending on your pov. :)

Josh Campbell
30th Oct 2011, 20:58
I did work experience last week in NATS Aldergrove and I was allowed to plug in.

It was a great experience.

Josh.