PDA

View Full Version : ABZ - Longer Runway - CAT III?

Cough
7th Oct 2011, 17:20
Hi,

Any ATC bod know, now that ABZ has a new longer runway, whether there is any push to upgrade the ILS's to CAT II/III?

Ta! (Would help quite a bit at this time of year...)

Take up the Hold
7th Oct 2011, 18:28
I think you will find that EGPF is actually Glasgow
Aberdeen is EGPD

BOAC
7th Oct 2011, 18:45
Oh dear! Let's hope he never gets rostered to fly to ABZ:D

Union Jack
7th Oct 2011, 18:51
Oh dear! Let's hope he never gets rostered to fly to ABZ ....

.... and that, since he's clearly in a corrective mood, Yahoo!® discovers the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym!:ooh:

Jack

Cough
7th Oct 2011, 19:18
Clearly never heard of IATA codes... I shall not mention another IATA code like JFK again! (oops, done it again!!)

My question still stands....

121decimal375
7th Oct 2011, 19:23
In response to the first question.....no plans currently to upgrade to CAT III. The upgrade investment does not add up for the bean counters

Spitoon
7th Oct 2011, 19:36
...why not use the ICAO code?What's wrong with the IATA airport/station code?

And if we are in pedant mood, I'm inclined to think that ABZ is a code rather than an abbreviatio.

Honey Monster
7th Oct 2011, 20:07
And abbreviatio is an abbreviation!

Spitoon
7th Oct 2011, 20:18
It's a fair cop guv'nor! You've got me banged to rights.

In mitigation I would ask you to take into consideration several generous glasses of wine that seem to have disappeared over the evening!

alphamanic
24th Oct 2011, 21:23
ABZ ILS is Cat 3 capable but, there are not the lighting requirements in place for its use

dontdoit
26th Oct 2011, 12:08
Can anyone explain the benefit of extending the runway by 120m, I'm reliably informed it makes c**k all difference to the largest aircraft which regularly operates in & out of there?

bad bear
26th Oct 2011, 18:31
dontdoit, the main benefit is when the runway is wet or contaminated, yes I know it seldom rains there. Some planes have to reduce payload if the runway was forecast wet. On hot days the old 1-11s used to leave pax behind to to runway length.
bb

alphamanic
29th Oct 2011, 12:59
It just means that some of the current operators can also go out more heavily laden. Plus anything to help those Embraers!

Sir George Cayley
30th Oct 2011, 22:02
CAT lll ILS and approach lighting. Interesting point is that a CAT lll autoland only needs the lead off lights at the end as the a/c systems are agnostic wrt the lights.

SGC