PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy Pilot Officer

GAZ45
6th Oct 2011, 17:22
First of all, please forgive me if my questions have been answered elsewhere on this forum.

I am currently researching the role of Pilot Officer in the Royal Navy. I have found information regarding the selection process, but I am struggling to find any bulk of decent information regarding the current training route involved.

Assuming acceptance into the navy as pilot, what would be the training route (including points at which you get streamed for fast jet or heli)? Any documents or websites that accurately contain this information in detail would be much appreciated.

I've contacted the local AFCO and asked for further information, but so far have received a very general booklet describing the scope of jobs within the Navy. I am booked onto a presentation later this month but would prefer to get my hands on some more detailed information before I go incase I have any questions on the day.

Kind regards
G

sycamore
6th Oct 2011, 17:29
Before the `Police` get here,have you read the` Sticky`at the top of the Forum thread List..? Also ,check `google` for a list of Naval Ranks....

GICASI
6th Oct 2011, 17:40
Chaps,

Please refrain from engaging in baby seal clubbing. Sycamore has put him straight.

Best,

GICASI

Wrathmonk
6th Oct 2011, 17:42
GAZ

You may also wish to look at this (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/465301-military-flying-careers.html) thread - your profile and request is remarkably similar (long term desire from early age to be a pilot (heavily biased in your posts towards commercial aviation), approaching mid 20's ....) and I suspect many of the answers may be the same. From that thread the Army Career Office may be your best 'port of call' although they do not, of course, have fast jets (yet!;))

GAZ45
6th Oct 2011, 18:20
Thanks for the replies.

I did happen to read the sticky, and it seems focussed on RAF OASC, so thats why I posted a separate topic purely regarding the training route, not selection as I have been through the process before. Sorry for any confusion.

Also I appreciate the link you have posted to another thread. Although much of it is not applicable to me. Im 23, so still within joining age limits for RAF, RN pilot recruitment. And as for the heavily biased towards civvie flying, your correct in that I looked into this route, but I actually applied to the forces when I was 15 and attained an RAF 6 Form pilot scholarship before I went to university. Upon graduating, the pilot doors at the RAF were firmly closed. I looked into civilian flying heavily and considered it also. I am now doing some research on the Navy pilot branch as military flying has always been my goal anyway. Im unsure as to how any of the info posted could help me. I only asked for some details of the training route these days. I notice hostility toward pprune members is not only reserved for the civvie forums.

G

lj101
6th Oct 2011, 18:49
Hi everybody. Im new to these forums, so please tell me if im posting in the wrong forum or doing something wrong. Anyway, im 15 and im doing my GCSE exams in the next year.

GAZ - But you were 15 in 2002?? Are your years longer than earth years? Oops sorry, guess you are turning 24 shortly - anyway - apply and see what they say. No one on this will know for sure as it seems to change month by month.

madlandrover
6th Oct 2011, 19:29
RN Aircrew Training (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Shore-Establishments/Aircrew-Training) is perhaps what you're after. Best of luck.

Training Risky
7th Oct 2011, 10:48
Dude...good stuff, come and join us!

You sound like just the fella we need, you have obviously done your research and a university graduate to boot...cool! (Smiley face)

We need guys like you on our Harrier and Jaguar planes. We can start you on the accelerated graduate fast jet flying training program by Christmas...ask at the AFCO for details. Join the RAF and get your hands on some of the cutting edge planes we have. Or if you fancy a bit of a slower start to your flying, ask at the AFCO about direct entry onto the cargo-flying routes we have: you could be flying a Nimrod within a year of joining us!

We can send you all over the world if you're mad for it: Canada, Hong Kong and West Germany for starters. We'll provide a much better care package than the others: unbelievable allowances! a uniform so smart you'll have birds dripping off you every moment, a really switched on and caring command chain who care about your every waking thought...the list goes on!

So don't delay, join the RAF by asking about all this kewl stuff at the AFCO!

Cheers, PM me for the low down.

Word.

foldingwings
7th Oct 2011, 14:29
Sarcasm is truly the lowest form of wit, Trg Risk!

Foldie:yuk:

liam_1
7th Oct 2011, 19:21
Assuming acceptance into the navy as pilot, what would be the training route (including points at which you get streamed for fast jet or heli)? Any documents or websites that accurately contain this information in detail would be much appreciated.

There are none.

_WAFU_
7th Oct 2011, 23:15
since when did not having any aircraft stop any of the forces streaming aircrew? you can still be streamed jets as a Navy pilot.

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Oct 2011, 16:21
WAFU - true dat! Those F/A-18 posts don't fill themselves guys!