PDA

View Full Version : VOR A, B and C

747 forever
6th Oct 2011, 12:39
Hello, long time no see
Anyway Im not quite sure what the difference is between the VOR A, B and C. I can perform the very basic VOR but Im not sure about these ones. Can someone describe what the different categories are and how to perform them? Especially the VOR C. I use the PMDG 747 and don`t know how to do the VOR C landing at haneda airport and would really like to do it.
Thanks very much

+TSRA
12th Oct 2011, 04:21
It may depend on the regulation you are looking at, but here in Canada an approach with a letter (VOR A) simply indicates to the pilot that the approach is valid only to circling minima.

For example "VOR 16 (GNSS)" indicates the approach is based on a VOR radial which provides for straight in approach for runway 16 and that a GNSS overlay is also available, so you would see both VOR, LNAV and Circling minima.

"VOR A" indicates the approach is based on a radial to the airport which may or may not be in line with the runway and which will require a circling procedure in order to align with the runway.

The MDA for circling approaches is always higher than for straight in and also depends on the aircraft category (A, B, C, D, or E)

The VOR B and C may simply be other procedures for a circling approach or the "caution corner" of the plate may indicate that it is for a specific flight condition or aircraft category or some other condition that requires three separate circling procedures to that airport.

Like I said though, that's a basic run of how things would work here in canada and while IFR is IFR over the world, there maybe some regional differences .