PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't seat belt sign enforced?

Eboy
14th Jan 2002, 08:16
Why are passengers allowed to use the lavatories after the seat belt sign goes on? I see this a lot as a PAX on United and Alaska Airlines. Not only the lavatories, but exploring the overhead bins and sampling the snack cart in Business Class. I asked a flight attendant -- she said passengers are supposed to stay seated when the sign is on. I asked her why it wasn't enforced and she just shrugged her shoulders.

twistedenginestarter
14th Jan 2002, 12:16
I guess there are two 'modes' of the sign. One is advisory - when turbulence is a risk, and one is mandatory - just prior to landing and takeoff.

If people were walking around at 50 feet above the threshold I dare say the hosties would not hesitate to give someone a bollocking. Otherwise the FAA would soon be having words with the airline.

At other times including early in the decent/late in takeoff, it's not such a safety issue so not upsetting passengers is more important. The airline is covered from a litigation point of view.

Lots of people see rules as something to be broken and they are often the more successful people in society. Airlines tolerate these people because they bring in revenue.

PAXboy
14th Jan 2002, 20:54
Enginethatistwistedbeforeitstarts, that is a good answer to this irritating problem.

What I have also learnt is that - if the sign is ON and you ignore it - you just gave up any chance of making a claim against the airline.

This point was discussed recently in another forum and it seems that the sign goes on a lot sooner than it used to and stays on longer because of silly claims from silly people (successfully silly or not!)