PDA

View Full Version : New Oxford Radar Structure Completed

OXF ATC
4th Oct 2011, 16:01
New Thales primary and secondary radar tower now completed at Oxford (OXF/EGTK). Several months now of testing and then commissioning into service. Should be operational by Spring 2012

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/images/new_graphics/gallery/radar/radar_complete_969_01.jpg (javascript:window.close();)

http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/images/new_graphics/gallery/radar/radar_complete_969_02.jpg (javascript:window.close();)

soaringhigh650
5th Oct 2011, 21:15
Is the new radar only 10nm away from Brize Radar?

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/rafcms/mediafiles/70E298DE_5056_A318_A8C5C2FE34F5DB7D.jpg

If so, I'm interested to know why Brize Radars are not good enough?

The reason I ask is because the regional airport where I do my instrument approaches is 33nm away from the international airport that provides the radar service. It works well for me. The radars are located at this international airport.

ATCO Fred
5th Oct 2011, 23:16
I think you'll find that's just an SSR Tower (I believe the Brize SSR was to be relocated due to expansion work). The Oxford is combined PSR and Mode S SSR.

Also - can't do SRA's with a Radar Head over 10 miles away and what do you do when they want to take it off for maintenance etc. Always better to rely on your own kit.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Oct 2011, 07:18
Surely those pics show primary and SSR antennas?

Not Long Now
6th Oct 2011, 07:26
Because Brize are not oxford's approach unit, they are a LARS unit, and until a recent discussion with the powers that be, not really even that. So if Oxford have plans of expansion and improved safety, this is a real winner.

Buster the Bear
6th Oct 2011, 18:22
"Also - can't do SRA's with a Radar Head over 10 miles away "

So how do they manage SRAs at Luton then?

Danscowpie
6th Oct 2011, 19:14
So how do they manage SRAs at Luton then?

On a day to day basis they don't.

Although the facility exists to do SRAs to all the airports provided with approach radar services from Swanwick, they are very rarely utilised in anger.
Not sure how the ATCOs concerned keep current, I assume its via the training simulators for each airport which they are valid to provide an APS to.

Andy Mayes
6th Oct 2011, 20:16
Although the facility exists to do SRAs to all the airports provided with approach radar services from Swanwick, they are very rarely utilised in anger.

Does this include Biggin Hill?

Grabbers
6th Oct 2011, 21:19
Brize Nortons RADAR is more than able to provide a service to Oxford. I would imagine, however, there are issues regarding the MoD providing assistance to a commercial venture.

Piltdown Man
7th Oct 2011, 19:48
I'm sure additional radar heads are excellent, but I couldn't quite help but notice the "watermark" on the photos. London Oxford? Which @rse thought that one up? They have to have brown stuff for brains. There must to be a geographical limit which prevents airport marketing numpties from adding the word "London" to its real name. If there isn't we'll shortly end up with LondonNewquay or LondonCarlisle or worse, LondonDurhamTeesValleyPercyMainwhatevvvaa.

PM

ATCO Fred
7th Oct 2011, 20:17
I'm sure additional radar heads are excellent, but I couldn't quite help but notice the "watermark" on the photos. London Oxford? Which @rse thought that one up? They have to have brown stuff for brains. There must to be a geographical limit which prevents airport marketing numpties from adding the word "London" to its real name. If there isn't we'll shortly end up with LondonNewquay or LondonCarlisle or worse, LondonDurhamTeesValleyPercyMainwhatevvvaa.

PM

This has been done to death. We all know where Oxford is - it was purely a marketing ploy to highlight to those within Europe that the airport could be a viable alternative to the other London airports. In that respect it worked; almost overnight the amount of foreign visiting aircraft grew several fold and most are repeat customers! I also seem to remember someone claiming in a similar thread that it was actually quicker to get to Oxford from Notting-Hill than it was to get to Gatwick!

They have to have brown stuff for brains and you need to sort out your halitosis :p

bitsink
7th Oct 2011, 20:25
PM is right just as you are but in a "free" world Exeter could be a London airport.
As long as the SLF has no idea of geography the marketers will win.

Sir George Cayley
9th Oct 2011, 20:31
Wonder what level of service Oxford will offer for GA operating OCAS?

Sir George Cayley

Not Long Now
9th Oct 2011, 20:32
presumably very little verging on none, after all they're there to provide an approach service in a known traffic environment, not the LARS which Brize is for.

ZOOKER
9th Oct 2011, 20:33
They'll probably just use Morse. :}

Flybywyre
9th Oct 2011, 22:51
ATCO Fred ..............
Great post, what a laugh you have given us :ok:
Just out of interest what colour is the sky in your world ?
Given your lack of understanding of the real world can I suggest you apply for some of the NATS management jobs that will be coming up soon.
Cheers :D

ATCO Fred
10th Oct 2011, 18:54
ATCO Fred ..............
Great post, what a laugh you have given us
Just out of interest what colour is the sky in your world ?
Given your lack of understanding of the real world can I suggest you apply for some of the NATS management jobs that will be coming up soon.
Cheers
Cheers FBW...... It is what it is. Been round far too long and seen too much to know that labelling things provides few solutions and adds little value! Move along..... no Ryanair here :p

Piltdown Man
10th Oct 2011, 21:54
and you need to sort out your halitosis

You are quite right. It's caused by eating the stuff you spout! But I'll let you off as you can probably have to do battle with bug smashers at your major international airport all day long.

But growing up, if you do the figures, the slowest "London" airport to get into central London on an average day will probably be that public toilet called Heathrow. But let Oxford (or should it be Kidlington?) live on the fact it's close to Oxford, not London. With any luck your managers will rename it ParisOxford and you'll get even more traffic; all handled with the aid of that marvellous rooty-tooty new radar.

PM

fireflybob
10th Oct 2011, 23:08
You never know Ryanair might start going there calling the destination London.....