PDA

View Full Version : B737 limits / Chambery(?) airfield

NoseGunner
11th Mar 2001, 21:31
Can anyone help with this, please?
A couple of airlines fly skiers into, I think Chambery airfield near Lyon as it is more convenient for the ski resorts than Lyon. The pilots, however seem to go to Lyon more often than not. They cite Xwind limits and auto-land problems. The 1 case that I know all the details of the wind was calm with approx 2000' cloudbase & good vis. The airline was sabre.

So:
1. What are the 737 xwind limits(dry & wet)?
2. What are the approach minima at Chambery?
3. When do the crew have to make the decision (top of drop?) and does this have to take into account the TAF for the next n hours?
4. Is there something I don't know that I haven't mentioned that affects this?

Jet A1
12th Mar 2001, 14:58
Got the plate for ILS18 in front of me now.....AT only 2000m long the RWY if wet/contamiinated would make it difficult to get a heavy B737 onto it safely.....Also with it having a 5.0 Glideslope onto 18 I would think it wouldnt be easy to keep a 738 slowing down during the descent.......

Hector_Pascal
14th Mar 2001, 19:53
I used to fly into Chambery in my previous job, it's where the 146 comes into it's own. This is because there is a bowl shape of the mountains at the end of the valley taking off from RW18. The 146 or RJ can meet the tight engine out requirements off 18 because it has only lost 1 out of 4 engines, however I assume 737's would have a problem on one engine off 18, which explains why they invariably used to land on 18 and take off on 36 even with a 10 knot tailwind. I think this would be the problem, any good southerly wind and you would get in, but not out! Can't remember the minima now, but do remember how enjoyable it was to fly the visual circuit to land on 36.
p.s. You would not do autolands into Chambery.

[This message has been edited by Hector_Pascal (edited 17 March 2001).]

tech...again
17th Mar 2001, 14:21
I work in CMF most weekends and can certainly cite the following problems:

The rwys are 18 and 36. With no real wind around, a straight in to 18 and take-off on 36 is the preferred procedure with most operators due to the terrain at the end of 18. The wind will suddenly pick up in a matter of seconds, being in a valley, and if this happens to result in a tailwind on 18, landing on 36 is the obvious result. However, couple this with low daylight vis or darkness, and there are only 2 (French) operators (Proteus and on other I believe) who are cleared to fly the (mental) approach to 36 IFR. Add this to a regularly wet rwy and associated weight related minima and the 738 has some problems - not to mention engine out as refreed to in other posts for take-off. Transavia, BY and SBE are all (supposedly) operating the 738 into CMF this winter season, but I can count on both hands the number of 738 aircarft I've seen this season actually on the deck in CMF..! I had heard a rumour that the initail operating approval for one of these operators had been subject to re-evaluation by the French CAA and the results were not exactly glowing, but this is pure rumour and there may not be any truth in it. I can, however, certainly vouch for the fact that 189 pax at at time on coaches to LYS every time a 738 diverts is not pleasing the charterer..! Many people are happy to take a poke at the 146/RJ, but in this environment, it's the most reliable performer by far.

Transavia actually took a 757-200 into CMF 3 weeks ago and it will probably happen again before season end (@15APR)....! Baggage loading with no belt was pretty interesting..!!

T.A.