PDA

View Full Version : Logging time when you have both FAA and JAA licenses

you.wish
3rd Oct 2011, 14:12
Hello,

I have a few questions regarding how you record of flight times if you have both FAA and JAA licenses. A little background information. I did a modular JAR programme, starting of in the US obtaining FAA PPL with MEIR. I then did hour building on MEP before returning to Europe to complete my JAR CPL. When I first came to the US my instructors logged my time and signed my FAA logbook, I continued to use this log book until I returned to Europe. When I came back I logged all my flight time in a JAR -FCL 1.080/2.080 approved logbook(I moved the totals from my FAA log book to the first page of my JAA logbook). I have continued like that since then. My questions;

When logging time in the us, block off/on times are are not written down into the logbook, is that going to be a problem later on? I have no way of correcting this stupid mistake
My FAA logbook is very old, dirty and got lots off ink everywhere(my instructors in the USA wrote everywhere if they needed to do a correction). Can I record the time in another logbook(JAR-FCL) and then refer to the old FAA logbook for signature verification?
Can I record all times and correct mistakes into a electronic logbook? I have heard that it is valid even without the signatures and sign offs?

Just for clarification: I have never used my time logged according to FAA rules for a higher license in europe. Its just there in my logbook. I always deduct the PIC recorded according to FAA rules if I am applying for a higher JAA licence.

I would appreciate all the help I can get

Intruder
4th Oct 2011, 01:06
I don't know what JAA requirements, but the FAA doesn't care about the format as long as the information is there.

I wouldn't bother copying the old log onto another paper log. It's a working document, not a showpiece. Leave it as is. Just continue new flights in the new log. I still have at least 8 log books plus my electronic log...

I would copy all flights/info into an electronic logbook, either a commercially made one or a simple spreadsheet (as I do). You can use the electronic log to keep accurate track of total times, and you can also "slice & dice" it as necessary to get different totals for applications, audits, etc. The paper logs will serve for verification of signatures, endorsements, etc when needed.