PDA

View Full Version : LOCALIZER approach, VOR approach. Have I got it right?

z.khalid
29th Sep 2011, 11:23
I believe almost ALL the time I will have a DME.
So now for the Localizer/DME approach.
Follow the procedure (procedure turn if available), or radar vectors, whichever it may be.
When i'm cleared to intercept the localizer(have to have the localizer frequency set on nav 1), I do that normally like I would on an ILS, and then follow the step down procedure. Crosscheck my DME, with my altitude.
On the bigger jets I believe you calculate your FPA, and set that at 3.1 degrees or whatever it is, and keep descending at that path till your MDA.
This sound right?

Now the VOR/DME approach is pretty much same is that right?
Again as normal initially, but this time I have the VOR frequency set, and the course set on final approach fix, intercept it when I should, and same procedure for the descent.

Is this right?

Denti
29th Sep 2011, 11:43
Type dependent really, and even then there might be major differences between same variant airplanes depending on when they were build. And then there are major differences between different legislations too, need to know your own OPS manual and work according to that.

That said, on the 737 we would fly a LOCalizer approach either in VORLOC/VNAV or in APProach mode and a VOR approach either in LNAV/VNAV or APProach mode. Basicaly we would never try to intercept the radial in VORLOC during a VOR approach.

z.khalid
29th Sep 2011, 12:07
Firstly, thanks for the response Denti.
Secondly, a little too complicated for me :ugh:

I've never done LNAV/VNAV approaches, I believe those are taught in a TR course, sometimes even after.
What do you mean " Basicaly we would never try to intercept the radial in VORLOC during a VOR approach", and what exactly is "Approach mode"?
Is that when you have the approach set up in the MCDU, and let the auto flight do it for you?
How does the descend work? How do you calculate the ROD?

Again, thank you.

extreme P
29th Sep 2011, 12:56
Do a search for SCDA.

Denti
29th Sep 2011, 12:58
Ah, i guess i went too far then, looks like you need to review the basics of instrument flying first, best done by doing the training at a flightschool nearby.

de facto
29th Sep 2011, 13:41
Khali.
Yes , loc or vor you may join them the same way for lateral guidance and manage your descent profile.
When you get into more sophisticated aircraft , you may use other lateral modes(lnav) while monitoring the vor radial or ndb.
It makes our life easier thats all,no problems of ground based interference issues (vor or loc may make your aircraft do small banks left and right if interference from mountains for example) as they use ground bases aids.
Lnav uses gps so no interference ,,unless the americans are up to something:E

z.khalid
29th Sep 2011, 17:29
Thanks for the reply De Faco,

A standard rate of descent and FPA is set for the descent is that correct?
For example 300 feet per nm and 3.0 FPA

What about when you DONT have a DME?

de facto
30th Sep 2011, 01:56
Most of gradients are 3 degrees..so to plan your descent use your groundspeed divide it by two and add 50ft/min descent rate.ie 150 knots gs :150/2:750+50 =800ft/min.
You generally need dme but a radial or bearing can be used to identify your position on the loc/vor to use to confirm/compare your altitude versus distance at a specific point.

What is your flying level?

ehwatezedoing
30th Sep 2011, 21:05
A standard rate of descent and FPA is set for the descent is that correct?
For example 300 feet per nm and 3.0 FPA

What about when you DONT have a DME?

Just plan your descent so you won't bust any steps down.

And for the no DME question, since you list yourself as being in Canada I invite you to read the AIM, COM 3.16.9 "Use of GNSS in Lieu of Ground-based Aids"
COM - 3.0 RADIO NAVIGATION AIDS - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp14371-com-3-0-2546.htm#3-16-9)
3.16.9 Use of GNSS in Lieu of Ground-based Aids

Subject to any overriding conditions or limitations in the aircraft flight manual (AFM) or AFM Supplement, GNSS may be used to identify all fixes defined by DME, VOR, VOR/DME and NDB, including fixes that are part of any instrument approach procedure, to navigate to and from these fixes along specific tracks, including arcs, and to report distances along airways or tracks for separation purposes. This can be done as long as there is no integrity alert, and provided that all fixes that are part of a terminal instrument procedure (arrival, departure, or approach) are named, charted and retrieved from a current navigation database. GNSS may be used to identify fixes defined by ground-based aids, even if they are temporarily out of service.

For example, if the DME associated with an ILS/DME approach is unserviceable, traditional aircraft would be denied the approach; however, under these rules, the pilot of a GNSS-equipped aircraft may request and fly the approach.

Note that for NDB or VOR approaches that are not part of the GPS overlay program described in Section 3.16.5.2.2, pilots shall use ADF or VOR as the primary source for final approach track guidance. For these approaches, and for approaches based on a localizer (LOC) for lateral guidance, pilots shall not use GNSS as the primary source for missed approach guidance when the missed approach procedure requires flying a published track to or from an NDB or VOR.Where ATS requests a position based on a distance from a DME facility for separation purposes, the pilot should report GPS distance from the same DME facility, stating the distance in “miles” and the facility name (e.g. “30 miles from Sumspot VOR”). This phraseology is used for all RNAV systems. When reporting DME distance, the pilot includes “DME” in the report (e.g. “30 DME from Sumspot VOR”). This enables ATS to allow for the DME slant range.

Note that under this approval, there is no requirement to carry the avionics normally used to identify fixes defined by ground-based aids, but other considerations may apply. This topic is discussed in Section 3.16.10