PDA

View Full Version : ATC and the Air law Exam

Grob Queen
28th Sep 2011, 20:58
Hello all you Air Traffickers out there,

Please treat me kindly as I am a student pilot and I am sure cause much hilarity in our tower with my "interesting" use of R/T! (On one occasion I made up a new phrase by saying "lion Hold" on the end of my repeat back whilst being told to hold after taxiing...my instructor gave me rather a quizzical look...i haven't done that again!)

I was wondering whether you would be able to advise/help with (a few!) of my atc problems please...

Is there an easy way of understanding which flights are seperated from others in which airspace
Please would someone be kind enough to explain in Student pilot speak what the differences are between what advice/instructions we are given in which airspace. For instance, what info can an air/ground or Information such as "london Information" give.
Am I right in understanding that only professional ATC approach and Tower and Ground give instructions which must be obeyed?
And pilots therefore do not have to obey instructions given by anyone else?
Am I correct in understanding that Class E-G airspace (the open FIR) is airspace which, in theory we don't have t0 talk to anyone?
So Class D airspace, as a VFR pilot, I do have to communicate don't I?
Sorry, I know this is rather a lot, but in practising for my law exam, this is an area which I persistently get wrong. My mate who is an ATCO went out of area recently before we had a chance to have a session over a meal...i'm still holding him to it on his return, but thought someone out there may be kind enough to try and help PLEASE??!

Many many thanks

29th Sep 2011, 08:48
Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/3mbjbs9)

first result on the search page

TCAS FAN
29th Sep 2011, 09:39
Grob Queen

Firstly its not R/T its RTF (despite what any instructor or ATCO may say)

In answer to your questions:

1. As a Student/PPL holder you will only be looking at Class G or D airspace and you should be operating in accordance with VFR. Consequently UK procedures require that you are not separated from any other traffic. However in Class G airspace if you are in receipt of a De-confliction Service, ATC will attempt to separate you from all other radar conacts visible to them on radar. In Class D airspace you technically are not separated but ATC will (partially to lessen their workload) often provide instructions which will separate you from other (particularly IFR) traffic. Separation may be provided by specification of a route/heading/altitude to fly at. You must remain in VMC at all times, tell ATC if you will at any time be unable to maintain VMC.

2. Air/Ground can only give information. Aerodrome Flight Information Service (AFIS) normally give instructions to aircraft on aprons and taxiways, once you are on the runway and airborne it is an information service. However, an increasing number of AFIS Units are continuing to give instructions to aircraft on the runway up to the point that they are ready for take-off. This often happens when you need to enter a runway and backtrack to the take-off position. Non aerodrome based FIS Units (eg London Information) give information only. Caution, all FIS Units can relay clearances and instructions but must prefix each by specifying the origin of the clearance/instruction, eamples "London Control clears......" or "Message from the aerodrome authority......"

3. If the unit is suffixed Ground/Tower/Approach/Radar/Control and you are on the ground at their airport, within their ATZ or Control Zone/Area you should comply with their instructions. However, if airborne and an instruction would preclude you from maitaining VMC or you consider it beyond your skill level, tell ATC and specify why you cannot comply.

4. If you end up inside a Danger Area, you must comply with any instructions given by the operator, which will normally be to leave!

5. Mostly correct, but if you intend to fly through someone's ATZ you must contact the A/G or AFIS Unit for it and obtain safety information (Rules of Air Rule 45) or if the ATZ is controlled by an ATC Unit (civil and military), obtain approval to fly through it. If you intend flying through a MATZ it is good practice to contact the controlling unit.

6. Class D, yes, contact and comply with instructions (remaining in VMC).

Hope it makes sense, any queries please PM me.

ZOOKER
29th Sep 2011, 09:57
Grob Queen,
do make a point of visiting ATC at your base airfield and talking to the ATC staff. You will find they are very friendly and always willing to help with questions etc. Both Conningsby and East Midlands are participating in 'Visit ATC Day', in October, where pilots can arrange a visit to many ATSUs across the country. Details are on the Airspace Safety News website.

Grob Queen
4th Oct 2011, 11:51
TCAS Fan, 132.3 and Zooker,

Many thanks for your replies, its very kind of you to help. I have indeed visited our Tower, as I know the DSATCO from my previous posting. They were all very helpful and made me realised what a pressurised job you guys have! However, that was last year right at the start of my training, so it looks as though it will be worth another visit...

TCAS Fan - Thankyou for your help, I will go through it in slow time when next studying, and will indeed PM you if there is more!!

Rgds
GQ