PDA

View Full Version : Canadian instrument aproaches

Check Airman
26th Sep 2011, 05:36
Looking at the Jepp plates for Montreal, Quebec (CYUL), I notice some approaches are labeled as

ILS or (GNSS)NDB Rwy XX

The minima are given for both the ILS and NDB approaches, but no LNAV mins are published. Now I am assuming that the GNSS part of the title means we are authorized to use the FMS for guidance, but what mins would be appropriate?

Ottowa (CYOW) also has such approach labels.

Appreciate responses from anybody, but particularly interested to hear what US operators would do.

aterpster
26th Sep 2011, 15:59
Check Airman:

Looking at the Jepp plates for Montreal, Quebec (CYUL), I notice some approaches are labeled as

ILS or (GNSS)NDB Rwy XX

The minima are given for both the ILS and NDB approaches, but no LNAV mins are published. Now I am assuming that the GNSS part of the title means we are authorized to use the FMS for guidance, but what mins would be appropriate?

Ottowa (CYOW) also has such approach labels.

Appreciate responses from anybody, but particularly interested to hear what US operators would do.

1. Use ILS equipment to ILS DA.

2. Use LOC only to LOC MDA, if published.

3. Use ADF receiver to NDB MDA.

4. Use LNAV to NDB MDA.

italia458
27th Sep 2011, 03:28
What that title on the approach plate means is that you can either use it to do an ILS approach onto that runway or do an NDB approach or an NDB GNSS-overlay approach. If you have a GNSS/FMS certified for IFR you could use that to fly the NDB overlay approach, even if the NDB itself is out of service.

You will only see LNAV minima when it's an RNAV (GNSS) approach. In the case of that Montreal plate, if you were using GNSS/FMS (or ADF) to fly the approach, you'd use the NDB minima.

604guy
27th Sep 2011, 14:04
GNSS in brackets (GNSS) indicates an overlay of an existing procedure. In this case the NDB approach procedure. Minima is as 458 indicates.

Check Airman
28th Sep 2011, 16:33
Thanks. That's sort of what I was leaning towards, but wasn't sure.

aterpster
29th Sep 2011, 05:26
The OP's question was what would an American pilot do.
:)