PDA

View Full Version : DHL Air UK/LEJ ASSESSMENT

DA42-PILOT
25th Sep 2011, 21:26
Has anyone else been invited to east mids on the 20th oct for low houred pilot assessment, 757 fleet? PM me if you have any tips on assessment and interview.

drag king
25th Sep 2011, 21:46
Hello DA42

Judging from your nickname...am I right if I guess you are a low-timer with no commercial experience at all? Perhaps fresh out of (aviation) college?

I am sorry I do not have the tips you required (a friend of mine has though, but he has flown big Boeings for years B4 joining DHL so his approach might had been different) but if you don't mind me asking...have you been called by DHL UK itself or by Career.aero?

Best luck

DK :ok:

DA42-PILOT
29th Sep 2011, 17:19
your right drag king, low houred pilot, been out of flight school for over a year now, and this is the first shot I've had since then, and i was sent a letter from DHL UK

Captain_Bling
30th Sep 2011, 15:21
I received the same letter too, much to my delight I must say as i've been waiting 14 months and heard nothing back.

In my reply confirmation I asked politely for a breakdown of what to expect, seeing no harm in trying. I don't expect a response though as there's little point in DHL making it easy!

What I can suggest is looking a DHL's general recruitment website to find out exactly what kind of organisation it is. Scouring Flight International magazine for contempory industry issues would also be a plus.

On the day im planning just to turn up smart, on time and be myself (as far as appropriate). From what i've read phase 1 interviews are, in general, just to see that you can work as a team player, can fly an aircraft ok, can cope with a little stress and are as good as you looked on paper. To fail having got an ATPL you would have to be majorly deficient in some area. Its the phase 2, the personal interviews where they really screen the men from the boys. But thats a bridge to cross once part one is done.

turbine100
8th Oct 2011, 19:18
Does anyone have the details for contacting DHL UK pilot recruitment?

Checked the DHL site, nothing their and the career aero site seems to only be Germany.

deltahotel
9th Oct 2011, 05:59
HR, DHLAir UK at EMA

testpanel
28th Oct 2011, 18:13
He guys,

I may be joining you guys in the future.
Can 1 of you give me some insides about the Leipzig gig?
Roster and so on?
I was told during interview, either fixed or flex-roster.
Anybody willing to give me/us more info how it works?
And which 1 is more commutable, if at all? (i do have some ideas and no, i don´t live in the uk, but mainland europe)

I am going for a DEC position.
Many thanks!

and yes, i did read previous threads and infos!

koi
28th Oct 2011, 19:02
You must reside in LEJ, pay german tax as a resident when there, have english as a spoken language that can be easily understood by the other international crews and show CRM skills to fit in with a highly professional workforce.
The contract is limited duration to comply with union rules and protection for the existing first officers. The job is demanding but decent time off compared with contract work or the sandpit.
Hotac is great, allowances reasonable, aircraft well maintained.
You wont sniff a 767 for some years. Bit of a political waiting game meanwhile.
The management and training staff are fair.
Rosters are easy, just follow the rules, live NEAR work and pay your taxes and suddenly it all gets sweet. Limited fixed block roster may be available but not necessarily for contract folks.
If you fit in, then that is fine, if not you will soon realise and move.
Cargo makes huge profit compared to SLF. No cabin crew is just purrfectt.

K

puzzone
12th Nov 2011, 10:41
Does anyone have the details concernig dhl roster and Cpt salary ?

EAM
12th Nov 2011, 12:15
Its a secret and you won't get any information!

tubby linton
13th Nov 2011, 22:17
Who is going to fly the A306 when they arrive?

2 Whites 2 Reds
14th Nov 2011, 01:34
All 13 are on the German register, the first one having just arrived. So EAT will operate those.

Theres talk amongst the EAT folks of another 5 beng snapped up from somewhere and going to ACL on the Irish reg, but thar's crew room gossip at this stage.

New 76's arrive next year aswel. Most likey to be operated by DHK but no news yet. Exciting times!

2W2R :ok:

dixi188
14th Nov 2011, 07:55
Announced a few days ago that 5 more A300B4-622Rs aquired to take the total to 18. Not stated who will operate these extra ones.

"Exciting Times"????????????

Not for me. I'm definitely out of a job next year!:*

Time to dust off the toolbox and pick up the oily rag again.

2 Whites 2 Reds
14th Nov 2011, 08:37
Dixi188....

Many apologies, I didn't mean for my comment to be insensitive. It's a real shame about the flight engineers.

All the best,

2W2R :ok:

drag king
14th Nov 2011, 10:36
Does anybody know what the hiring status is with both arms of DHL (UK & EAL)? I have applied with both (emailed CV DHL UK, filled the online form with career.aero for EAL) but nothing heard so far. EAL sends an email every so often saying "...we are making decisions here, sorry to keep you waiting..." but not much else.

I understand some out there got an assessment but the whole thing has received little publicity, right? Me probably not the right type of guy/experience for them but if the pick cadets fresh out of FTOs...:bored:

regards

DK ;)

deltahotel
14th Nov 2011, 22:16
DK - I believe recruitment to be ongoing, certainly at DHK. Can't answer for EAT. Likewise I have no real insight into the admin part of recruitment so can't advise on why you haven't been looked at yet. Do you know anyone who flies for DHK?

Knee Trembler
15th Nov 2011, 07:30
Re: EAT. The last round of recruitment was effectively to a hold pool. They are slowing things down a little as the first aircraft (A300) was a little delayed (According to aero.de it's being handed over at 11 am today).

Expect some recruitment next year, but no info yet on numbers, fleet or seats. As you can imagine, the whole situation is very fluid and complicated at present.

KT

CaravanDriver
16th Nov 2011, 09:21
I think first all the A300b4 people will have to come over to the A300-600 before extra recruitment will take place. We also have several Fe that will be ready for a RH seat position after the face out of the A300b4

Regards

hotelmodemetar
27th Nov 2011, 19:34
http://logisticsweek.com/air/2011/11/dhl-receives-first-converted-airbus-a300-600/

mmeteesside
27th Nov 2011, 19:47
Interesting to see Maximus getting in on the act too by providing 2 A300-600's to DHL ... through West Air Sweden!?

bedix84
29th Nov 2011, 09:44
Any kind of information about the interview process is appreciated :ok:
Do they use also the DLR test???:\:\

Knee Trembler
29th Nov 2011, 14:47
A quick trawl through the old posts will reveal plenty of info about selection.

If applying for EAT, there is no DLR, but the selection through Interpersonal runs along the same lines (CBT, group exercises, interview, sim ride).

KT

drag king
29th Nov 2011, 15:22
Have they (EAT/career.aero) invited anyone with a profile closer to a cadet rather than a TR-experienced freight dog for interviews, yet?
For a while I had automated emails saying "sorry" for the silence, that they were busy making decisions, etc,etc. Then the news of the 13-odd A300-600 came along and...more silence.

From the horse's mouth (DHL UK/HR office) I have recently been told that the whole recruitment process is on hold because it's a busy time of the year for them, etc, etc...

I would say that the almost-demise of Astraeus and the uncertainty over Thomas Cook (both B757 operators) doesn't really help to shed some light.

Regards

DK :ooh:

hotelmodemetar
29th Nov 2011, 15:30
Will EAT operate all those 18 A300-600s?

Knee Trembler
30th Nov 2011, 07:32
@drag king - At least some of the latest 757 recruits are direct from flight school.

@hotelmodemetar - 13 are for EAT. Last 5 TBC.

KT

EAM
8th Feb 2012, 15:48
Is DHL UK still looking for DECs?
Any link or email to apply?

Thanks

tubby linton
8th Feb 2012, 17:51
Are they taking any type rated pilots?

skybullitt
17th Feb 2012, 14:42
Hi everyone,

I have done some reserach on pprune but actually haven't found much about EAT/DHL-UK.
Any info or link to the relevant topic would be greatly appreciated: usual stuff like typical roster, $$, leave system,benefits and so on.
Thank you.

S.

EAM
17th Feb 2012, 15:08
EAT will not hire anyone this year!

spider_man
17th Feb 2012, 15:25
DHL Air (UK) are holding 2 assessment dates in March at LHR for FOs. 12 month contracts through the usual agency. 757 rating and experience required.

However, if you have already applied directly to DHL Air (even if you have heard nothing) you cannot apply for these agency positions. :}

skybullitt
17th Feb 2012, 15:35
EAM,

the actual timing wasn't really what I was interested in.

Any insight on the basics of the job at EAT/DHL-UK?

EAM
17th Feb 2012, 19:35
So have you been offered a job with DHL?

skybullitt
17th Feb 2012, 20:19
So have you been offered a job with DHL?

EAM,

In order to be offered a job you first need to apply for it and before applying for something usually one gathers all the info required so that he can make an informed decision.

EAM
18th Feb 2012, 08:36
Ok, it was just that you said you are not interested in the fact that EAT is not hiring.
So for EAT they are not hiring this year and there are already pilots on the waiting list.
DHL UK is as far as I know only taking DEC at this time.
All all are LEJ based.
By the time your application will be considered by any of the two companies, the conditions could have changed.
Anyway good luck.

deltahotel
18th Feb 2012, 13:25
It's not a bad place to be if you can get your head round LEJ basings. Please use the search function - there's a lot on here about DHL, quite a bit posted by me and I can't be bothered to repeat myself. Again. Sorry and good luck.

80sghost
25th Feb 2012, 01:40
Why dhl air uk is hiring fo through agencies while at the same time those who apply directly with them are replied "we are not hiring at the moment"?

Reveal1
27th Oct 2016, 21:07
Dear mates,
has anyone have any information about type of assessment in DHL AIR UK?
wjich kind of test they run the first day in Leipzig?

EAM
28th Oct 2016, 11:36
Unless they have changed it for future assessments, DHL Air UK do their interviews at EMA.
First is an interview with and if that is successful it will be a sim assessment on a 757.

Reveal1
28th Oct 2016, 12:40
Thanks EAM,
but I think is changed as they told me that the assessment is divided in 2 phases.
First one is in Leipzig and consist in a series of test and group exercise (I'm trying to know which kind of test are ) and 2nd phase is successfull consist in the Interview and SIM.

Reveal1
28th Oct 2016, 13:34
I'm not 75 rated.

mustafacelal
28th Jan 2017, 12:53
Reveal1 :

I am invited 8'th of February and at EMA. You are right about some test an group exercise.

Have you been to the first assessment and can you tell me about your day?

:)

mustafacelal
1st Feb 2017, 14:46
Hi Jay_solo

Thx. i really don't know what the process is. Only thing I know is it will be test and group work. And when i asked about what to prepare the answer was "fail to prepare - prepare to fail" :D

About me:

300 total flight hours and 440 include sim.
fineshed my rating summer 2016 on A320 (I've applied for Aer Lingus and waiting for an interview after I've done the two independent online test they send me)

Best of luck

EAM
1st Feb 2017, 20:25
unless it hasn't changed recently, it is an interview with a Cpt and someone from HR. All very fair. Rule number one, know your aircraft, rule two: don't make up anything if you don't know the answer, you are not supposed to know everything.

Best of luck

deltahotel
2nd Feb 2017, 01:40
Rule three - don't turn up if you haven't thought the working in Leipzig thing through. Good luck.

mustafacelal
3rd Feb 2017, 20:20
The Merovingian__

Thx for taking the time to explain the day. Unfortunately the notice is very short.

sr71bbc
10th Feb 2017, 13:14
May I ask where you guys applied, I applied to dhl aero back in April 2014 I regularly update it no joy as if yet, how about going in person to east mids , any ideas

Reveal1
11th Feb 2017, 00:38
May I ask where you guys applied, I applied to dhl aero back in April 2014 I regularly update it no joy as if yet, how about going in person to east mids , any ideas

This is EAT, nothing to do with DHL UK, Two different Companies.

sr71bbc
14th Feb 2017, 10:17
am willing to do anything to get a job, work for free and pay for type rating, been looking for airline employment now for 5 years totally sick of it,

sr71bbc
14th Feb 2017, 10:19
i have kept my self current , its ust a shame our industry is what it is,

i would self sponsor everything and work on a voluntary basis

maybepilot
16th Feb 2017, 11:45
am willing to do anything to get a job, work for free and pay for type rating, been looking for airline employment now for 5 years totally sick of it,

I honestly hope you will look for an airline job for another decade or more.....

Brian W May
16th Feb 2017, 16:09
My last job was as an FE on the A300-B4 and redundancy was the best thing that happened.

Ground job for 3 years then fully retired. You find out what your bed is for when it's dark :)

RAFAT
17th Feb 2017, 00:49
sr71bbc - if your comments are genuine then I would ask you to take your talents into an industry other than aviation, your attitude serves only to damage the lives of professional aviators.

Shutdownatpl
17th Feb 2017, 21:56
anyone else can share what is expected in an assessment? anyone attended in last few months?
all little details much appreciated, please PM or post here. Thank you!

Face The Wind
20th Feb 2017, 18:19
Yes please, details would be great !

AfroEagle0304
20th Feb 2017, 20:14
anyone else can share what is expected in an assessment? anyone attended in last few months?
all little details much appreciated, please PM or post here. Thank you!

Hi Shutdownatpl

I'm going for that assessment on 16th march in EMA. What about you? Do you have any answers what we may expect?

chuks
21st Feb 2017, 12:54
Initial interview:

Basic knowledge of DHL, including company mission, company slogan. Usual questions, no "gotchas" to speak of.

One part was a chain math calculation, something like 7 + 12 x 9 and so on. Get one operation wrong, you get the whole thing wrong, under time pressure.

Another part was a team exercise similar to this one: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/ZinObelisk.pdf

This exercise is done under observation, and it's meant to show your aptitude for working as part of a team.

You might profit by playing a few of these, since practice improves performance. The exercise teaches you how to do CRM better anyway, not just for getting past a check with DHL. You will find that you need a leader and an assistant or co-leader, when care must be taken to get information from all participants. If you go into this thinking that you are going to show the observer that you are a real strong leader ... that is not what they are looking for.

Past that comes a sim assessment in a DHL-configured 757 with aircraft set for takeoff at Luton on RWY 26. Match 2B SID to BPK, procedural ILS 26 to a full stop. EFIS in raw data (no flight director), EHSI in VOR mode. No autopilot, flight director or autothrottle.

That's the first part. Second part may consist of:

2 engine go-around

2 engine visual

2 engine NDB/DME RWY 26 Luton.

Asymmetric flying exercises

Engine failure on take-off, single engine ILS, full stop landing

If you get past the first interview then you will get an e-mail with an info pack attachment including LIDO plates for Luton, and a set of profiles showing DHL SOPs for the Boeing 757.

I would suggest downloading the guide to LIDO charts and plates: https://www.ivao.aero/training/documentation/books/understand_lido_charts.pdf

Third-hand account of a recent sim check: low-pressure, only 30 minutes, no NDB approach. I would not count on each ride being that easy, of course. This one may have been for a guy of exceptional ability with a good personality who nailed each point being assessed. We should all be so lucky!

The offer is for a job with DHL UK, paid in pounds, but required to live within 90 minutes of Leipzig, Germany. (Leipzig and its surrounds are liveable, for the former East Germany. It's not going to be like Berlin, though!) Low but fair pay for the first few years as you pay off your TR on the B757, improving after that. About 300 hrs. per year; night flying; short trips with a break in the middle for the aircraft to be unloaded/loaded; and back to base, either home or an out station; perhaps as long as ten years to upgrade to command. It sounds as if it beats Ryanair, anyway! Working as a catamite in a Turkish steam bath might beat Ryanair, though ....

It says right in the info packet that you will be assessed on "your cockpit resource management, your knowledge of instrument flying procedures and your ability to recognize and learn from your mistakes." Going by that I think I would want to learn every detail of all charts provided that are associated with Luton, particularly if these LIDO charts are unfamiliar, as well as learning the various DHL SOPs. Get all of that down pat, and then the rest should just be a fair assessment of your ability, so "Good luck to all of you!"

Shutdownatpl
21st Feb 2017, 14:35
Thanks chucks for the time and feedback.

Face The Wind
21st Feb 2017, 21:42
Thank you for the feedback. Anyone know a website or something where I can practice this kind of maths ? Thank you

TugaFly
28th Feb 2017, 13:39
Thanks for your feedback, it's very helpful.

Does anyone know what sort of questions are asked in the tech exam for type rated guys?

Thanks

EAM
12th Mar 2017, 23:00
min 7 days or 14. no single days. if that is all you are worried about.

deltahotel
12th Mar 2017, 23:43
Jay. Are you applying to DHK?

Krautwald
14th Mar 2017, 08:15
Any predictions what Brexit might bring for DHL Air?

Would their LEJ operations be in danger of being replaced by DHL EAT? Nobody has a crystal ball but some must know enough to have some valid thoughts on this?

EAM
14th Mar 2017, 11:28
Any predictions what Brexit might bring for DHL Air?

Thats a good one. ;) According to the management all will be fine:E

zubairways
17th Mar 2017, 11:47
Good Morning all,
I attended the assessment for the Cadet FO position yesterday, DHL is truly an amazing company to work for. Everyone I came across was super nice, the company really look after thier employees and take pride in helping them develop and provide support and guidance when needed.
Leipzig is truly an incredible place to live lots to do, lots to see and would be a perfect place to even one day settle down and start a familly. DHL provide support with relocation, i.e Finding a place, language lessons ect.
For me it's an amazing company to be with and definitely a place where I could see myself for the long run/longterm career prospect.

For now fingers crossed for the results to be revealed ....

speedtapeking
17th Mar 2017, 12:10
Zubair all I can say is hahahaha
What a good presentation they must of done to come over like that ��

EAM
17th Mar 2017, 17:29
@CV just out of curiosity, because you mentioned that already a few times.
Did keep the 4 month notice, or did you leave early?

EAM
18th Mar 2017, 09:48
Interesting, its a bit of topic and probably goes a bit too much into details, but did you go to a lawyer and thought to sue them? Its your money.

Anyway, DHK is a good job. The management is like in any other company, they don't care about you. Rules are always different when its to their advantage.

For cadets its not really the right place, you do about 300h per year, so you don't make a lot of hours. After 10 years you have 3000h, by that time your friends are already in command in other companies. But the job is good, pay is alright and you don't have to worry too much about the future, apart from the Brexit.:ugh:

EAM
18th Mar 2017, 19:35
they did not pay my last month's salary

so that is actually not true then

they did pay up but a few days late

atakacs
18th Mar 2017, 19:59
Sorry complete outsider here.

300h/y that's about 6h flying per week. Surely can't be a full time position ?!

EAM
18th Mar 2017, 22:04
You do an average of 30 block hours with about 70-90 duty hours per month, that is typical for cargo operation.
@Merovinigian the time away on the roster are not the real duty hours.

atakacs
19th Mar 2017, 16:49
Try not break it down into weekly flying. It varies on how busy the network is, however an average week of work it's common to be flying a two/ three sector nights and occasionally a 4 sector may be chucked in there for good measure.

The sectors are normally short and the waiting time between each sector can be rather long, anywhere between 1 ½ - 4 hours, which eats into your duty period. Add into the mix you night stop 98% of the time and those are the main reasons why you tend not to accrue many flying hours.

To give an example, you may fly 30-35 per month (busy), your duty hours are in the region of 250-300+ hours.
A really quiet month, you'll have a loads of home/ airport standbys and may only end up flying 10-20 hours with the duty hours in the region of about 100-150 hours.
Thanks for those clarifications. I honestly had no idea.
Is this typical for all European cargo operations (I guess DHL UK doesn't do long haul?)
Just for info could you post a typical week schedule (ie. flight, wait, next sector, rest)? Doesn't need to be too specific, just to give a ballpark idea to the uneducated.

atakacs
20th Mar 2017, 11:57
Thanks, very interesting and educative.

Definitely not for everyone but if (big if) you manage decent rest and don't look for family life it might be fairly decent.

Anyway thanks again - gives me a glimpse in the life of a freightdog :)

Krautwald
22nd Aug 2017, 01:40
Any DHL insiders here who could comment on their employers age policy? They seem to hire lowtimers occasionally, but would they also consider the odd lowtimer past mid-30s (that´s when I expect to be all done modular)?

I have extensive routine with working shifts/night (non aviation though), my German is quite alright and we could see ourselves making a home in LEJ. No idea if those factors are pluses in the cargo biz.

EAM
22nd Aug 2017, 09:32
Well, if we are talking about DHL Air UK, non of this gives you an advantage, but the age isn't´a disadvantage.
We hire low timers and most of them are quite young, but to be realistic, even our management can be considered as low timers in relation to their age :E

Give it a try, if you speak german and want to move to Leipzig, it is definitely a plus for you and how to get along with the job in Leipzig.

Krautwald
22nd Aug 2017, 20:17
Thanks EAM, always good to hear there are a few possible employers out there.

flyingmate
18th Jan 2018, 13:41
What are the travel benefits at DHL? Do they have an interline travel arrangement?

deltahotel
18th Jan 2018, 14:45
None of that I'm afraid. Various airlines in the group are used to jumpseat pilots around when needed. So DHK, EAT, ASL, Aerologic, West Atlantic, Cargo Air are the ones I can think of.

BraceBrace
19th Jan 2018, 17:14
Is this typical for all European cargo operations (I guess DHL UK doesn't do long haul?)

Yup (considering they fly narrow body jets on a European network). DHL is pretty "easy" when it comes to rostering, other companies will have "heavier" duties (more 3-4 sector nights) but also more time back home.

rudestuff
19th Jan 2018, 21:45
No. They also fly 767s long haul as well as in place of the 757 if the network demands it.

EAM
19th Jan 2018, 22:17
DHL is pretty "easy" when it comes to rostering, other companies will have "heavier" duties (more 3-4 sector nights) but also more time back home.

Definitely not, DHK does 3 and sometimes 4 sectors a night, long nights and quite often you do 3 sectors every night for 5 days.

DHK rosters are quite fatiguing at the moment due to lack of pilots. The rosters are everything,....but easy!:ugh:

Fair_Weather_Flyer
20th Jan 2018, 07:51
I wonder if any of you at DHL can help me with regards to basing. In the past an LEJ base for newcomers was a given. But now, new joiners have been taken on for an EMA base. What are the chances of being given an EMA base from the outset (as an experienced joiner)? If I were to accept an LEJ base I wouldn’t dare live in LEJ due to Brexit and the uncertainties. Therefore I would need to accept a 10/12th full salary commuting deal. Is it viable to commute to LEJ via EMA on jumpseats. Last, but not least, at the present time, what is the likely time to transfer from an LEJ base to EMA?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

deltahotel
20th Jan 2018, 08:07
All really good questions and really hard to give clear answers. On the Brexit thing and access to living in Europe you have as much information as everyone else, which isn’t very much. At the moment everyone seems to be getting their base choices, but I have no idea how long that will last or the time scale for a base choice. You don’t say whether you have been for interview or been offered a job - if so what contract has been offered? If not then why not apply and ask these questions at interview, make it clear that ema is your only option and don’t accept a contract that says anything else?

From the line, it’s hard (impossible) to see the big picture on all these things so good luck with whatever you decide.

EAM
20th Jan 2018, 12:34
Can confirm dh, at the moment you would get EMA base, no one knows for how long that will continue. Brexit does not effect if you live in LEJ or EMA, it will simply effect your job no matter were you are based.

You can js to LEJ from/via EMA.
As people are hired with EMA base, the waiting time at the moment is 0.

Fair_Weather_Flyer
20th Jan 2018, 13:35
Thank you for your help guys. It sounds like there is a lot of uncertainty at DHK right now due to Brexit. But then I guess it must be the same at most airlines.

saabkoenig
24th Jan 2018, 15:39
Anyone else here going for interview at EMA in Januari? I am arriving 30/1 with the interview 31/1. Someone know what to expect from the 1 hour interview?

Krautwald
24th Jan 2018, 18:06
DHK rosters are quite fatiguing at the moment due to lack of pilots. The rosters are everything,....but easy!:ugh:

May I ask how this is generally handled in the freight business? It is widely agreed that night work requires sensible roster design to make staff stay focused and long term healthy. Some of the accounts given in the freight dog forum seem to point in another direction though: bad rostering and unnecessary fatiguing of staff. Is this representative? I mean, I have friends that are nurses, bus and subway drivers or railroaders, and their shift work seems to be reasonably managed. I find it hard to believe that a hyper-regulated field like aviation could be less considerate in this regard than other jobs?

After all, this matter is not really a question of preferences, there is hard science on how to do this right as well as how to wreck your staff in no time.

EAM
24th Jan 2018, 19:17
Krautwald, yes night work requires sensible rosters and fatigue risk management.
The problem is like everywhere, if you don´t have enough people to do the job, all this is just on paper. We are heavily under crewed, crewing staff have low or no experience and the fatigue risk management is just a tick in the box.

The new EASA F&D Times don´t really help. People still feel a pressure to complete their duties even they are suffering from fatigue.

Krautwald
24th Jan 2018, 19:59
Sorry to hear that.

Undercrewed for cost effect or are you hiring? I still ponder on freight being a possible foot in the door for a slightly old-ish low timer as I will hopefully be. But strategic undercrewing might just be a new normal, for freight is logistics is time is money?

rudestuff
24th Jan 2018, 23:01
Under-crewing is not intentional, they are hiring a lot right now to address that. Money is not an issue - profits are massive. They put you in 5* hotels and really look after you. There are various part time rosters down to 50%. Regards interview, show a sense of humour and you'll fit in.

EAM
25th Jan 2018, 09:02
Under-crewing is not intentional, they are hiring a lot right now to address that. Money is not an issue - profits are massive. They put you in 5* hotels and really look after you. There are various part time rosters down to 50%. Regards interview, show a sense of humour and you'll fit in.

Awesome, who are you flying for. ;)

Well, we can´t complain about hotels, but we are not staying in 5* hotels and there is bit of a tendency to go for the cheaper ones like Novotel, Penta and Mercure.

The reason why we are under crewed is, we didn't hire for a year and the managers thought it would be fine, but when you are taking on more work and people are leaving, you can´t catch up by just hiring 10-15 people after a year.
People still leaving, still taking on more work, trainers can´t cope with the new hires, commands and the rest of the training.
Doing 3 sectors a night, 5 Days in a row, working up to the 10:30 max FDP.

It is hard work at the moment and people are really struggling with fatigue and their rest. It will hopefully improve for the summer with more people,
but hey, we are working for DHL, everything is possible.:}

Krautwald
26th Jan 2018, 10:18
Btw. how is general experience with low timers going straight to B757 T/R?

EAM
26th Jan 2018, 17:18
Quite fine, not a problem.

Krautwald
14th Apr 2018, 08:32
Still pondering that fatigue issue. EAM you mention 5 nights in a row. After a week like that, do you get time to recreate? What is the birds eye view on your rosters, say in weeks. Is there a week off after a full week of night work or is it pretty much like a regular job (5-2 days, more or less), just that the work hours are after dark?

If the latter applies, this would make the job similar to those gigs in ports or 24/7 plants, where some people are on a „night only“ crew, and adjust ALL of their lives to being night owls because there simply is no time to readjust. In fact, those people are told to adjust to nights 100% because 2 days off between weeks might just confuse you more if you try to switch to regular daytime activity.

EAM
15th Apr 2018, 09:11
We have 2 options, flex roster or fixed roster. On the fixed you work nights only, more or less a 8on 6off. On flex you might occasionally get some days flying and after 6 days working at least 3 off days, usually you will fly around 5-6 days having 3-4 days off, plus maybe a rest day.

Krautwald
15th Apr 2018, 11:40
Wow, 8-6 is 8 nights in a row? 6 off days probably cant compensate for that long term...

Which one do people prefer in terms of fatigue management? (Other factors like commuting/family not considered).

EAM
15th Apr 2018, 11:47
No, its not 8 nights in a row, you need a 34h rest in between, otherwise it would´t work with the EASA rules. You usually do 6 nights with the 34h break somewhere in between.

It depends on peoples need. the 8/6 is perfect for commuting and you have almost a week to recover, on the flex you sometimes just have a trip of 3-4 days.
The nights themselves can be very fatiguing, when you do 3 sectors every night for 3-4 or even 5 days, when you just do 2 sectors a night, it is usually quite ok.

Krautwald
16th Apr 2018, 06:43
Thank you for explaining.

sarnold
16th Apr 2018, 18:26
No, its not 8 nights in a row, you need a 34h rest in between, otherwise it would´t work with the EASA rules. You usually do 6 nights with the 34h break somewhere in between.

It depends on peoples need. the 8/6 is perfect for commuting and you have almost a week to recover, on the flex you sometimes just have a trip of 3-4 days.
The nights themselves can be very fatiguing, when you do 3 sectors every night for 3-4 or even 5 days, when you just do 2 sectors a night, it is usually quite ok.

Depending on how many nights have been worked it is 36 hours / 2 local nights or 60 hours / 2 local nights. Usually this can be done over the weekend when the A/C are in MX.

Krautwald
16th Apr 2018, 19:18
Alright, so the idea is to let you sleep 2 nights out of the 8-9 nights in your working bloc?

I might try to go freight once I get all exams and hours sorted...do you guys feel that this is a healthy, steady business, or is it very (too?) dependent on the current economy being so busy?

Everybody kind of fears a downturn, but logistics like air freight may be hit real bad, no?

EAM
16th Apr 2018, 23:15
Depending on how many nights have been worked it is 36 hours / 2 local nights or 60 hours / 2 local nights. Usually this can be done over the weekend when the A/C are in MX.

That is EASA rules, the 34h is due to a variation approved by the CAA, it has a few different rules on it. But that is DHK only.

DHL is the biggest parcel service in the world, the growth becomes more every year. Yes, I would say it is quite a stable business for the next years.
The night flying can be quite hard, we have people who are only able to sleep 2-3h during the day, so it depends on how you can cope with it.
But then it is quite ok.

deltahotel
17th Apr 2018, 08:26
CV is right, freight is here to stay with the increase in internet shopping and just in time logistics. Revenues are so much bigger - consider how many 10kg parcels you can fit in a 757. DHK survived the last recession and now volumes just keep on growing. When I left Thomas Cook for DHK in 2002 there were 5 uk charter airlines, now there are two.

As for fatigue, I don’t miss multiple consecutive night DLM, TFS etc and the difficulty of resting for them in the home environment. Or the massive skewing of the program to the Summer period.

Horses, courses. At least at the moment there’s enough recruiting out there hopefully to make a choice.

AtB

EAM
17th Apr 2018, 11:02
In the last economic downturn DHL Air's sister, EAT-DHL made quite a big number of employees redundant. DHL (Air) is not known for its compassion...

When was that?

deltahotel
17th Apr 2018, 13:07
Can only speak for DHK which made no-one redundant during the big financial crisis and is now growing in numbers.

captbod
17th Apr 2018, 13:18
Last economic downturn was I believe 2009/10? Can’t speak for EAT but, (and I’m sure DH will confirm), there were 0 redundancies from DHL (UK). Right now we cannot recruit Pilots fast enough (specially type rated), and our trainers are maxed out constantly.

tuktukker
17th Apr 2018, 16:05
In the period when EAT changed from the old to the "new" A300 without flight engineer. I think this was around the period 2008-2010.The flight engineers on the old A300's were made redundant.

I don't think any pilots were laid off.

GKOC41
18th Apr 2018, 15:38
In the last economic downturn DHL Air's sister, EAT-DHL made quite a big number of employees redundant. DHL (Air) is not known for its compassion...

Tommy - quiet the reverse in my humble opinion especially for example to crew with medical issues. You want to back up that statement?

GKOC41
20th Apr 2018, 11:45
No I don't! Plenty of FO's / FE's could back me up on this.

So to make it a fair discussion DHL Air has never had F/E's. They started with B757's I'm sure a couple of the ex BA Captains might have liked a F/E but on the B757 there is no need

Mac72
27th Apr 2018, 15:44
Any genuine DHL pilot here? Got some questions regarding base in LEJ, contract and taxes. Can you contact me via PM? Any help much appreciated.
M

EAM
28th Apr 2018, 08:47
What do you want to know? Might even be interesting for other? If it is going in to details I can still PM you.

six-sixty
28th Apr 2018, 08:50
I’d be interested too, but are you talking about the EAT LEJ operation, or being LEJ based for DHL UK? From what I understand they’re separate companies/contracts is that correct?

EAM
28th Apr 2018, 09:32
That is correct, DHL Air UK with a UK contract and EAT with a german contract, all based in Leipzig anyway.

deltahotel
28th Apr 2018, 11:35
Please use the search function. EAM and others (inc me) have posted loads of stuff on this topic over the last couple of years - probably everything you need to know to at least decide whether it’s a serious option.

falconetti
8th Aug 2018, 13:27
Hi,
Any info ...how long wait after application, before they call about possible assessment ?!
Any assessment day scheduled ?
thx
f

falconetti
31st Jan 2019, 13:47
Have received an invitation for assessment as FO.
Have Jet experience ,low hours,..so what can I expect at the Interview?
Does anyone have relevant info ?
thank you
f

EAM
31st Jan 2019, 14:18
Know your aircraft, History of DHL/DHL Aviation, ATP stuff.

Council Van
31st Jan 2019, 15:16
I remember being asked about runway and taxi light colours but that was ten years ago. I was also asked which was the critical engine on the turbo prop I flew and why.

deltahotel
31st Jan 2019, 17:50
Hi CV. I think it’s grown up a bit since then and hopefully more sensible now!

Falconetti. Please use the search function - there’s loads of stuff on this forum about DHK. Above all have a sensible answer ready for ‘how are you going to make LEJ work? Where do you plan to live etc?’

good luck

dh

falconetti
31st Jan 2019, 18:09
Thank you guys !
f

dboy
1st Feb 2019, 05:11
Hi

I got also the invitation.

Biggest issue for me is the LEJ base. My wife and i bought recently a house in the Belgium. But getting a flat in LEI and having a mortgage is for me financially not viable. On top of that my wife is working in Belgium as well.

I do have a question about the roster: if you are 8 days “on”, are you 8 days (nights)away and the last day coming back to base or are you coming back every single day? If the first option is being done, it allows me to commute back to Brussels, if not, i might have to forget the whole thing.

I dont find an answer, someone provide me an answer?

appfo09
1st Feb 2019, 08:16
Which link did you use to apply for this job at DHL Air UK?

Thank you in advance!

deltahotel
1st Feb 2019, 08:56
dboy.

Lej is is the biggest issue for most people who don’t/won’t/can’t live there! There are many solutions, some sensible some not.

Unless/until yr on the fixed roster you won’t do 8 days on. Normal is 3-6. Rest periods are out in the network somewhere in a hotel but there will be times when accom is necessary in lej eg sby, flight cx, recurrent ground trg, occasional w/e layovers etc.

Some have their own flat, some share, sometimes 3 in a 2 bed as it’s unlikely all to be there at the same time, some use hotels as required. Be advised that there is a lot of pressure on Bru jumpseats.

These are are important questions for you and us - we invest a lot to get you online! Keep researching this- again plse use the search function and go back in history. There is plenty on DHK already on this site.

Good luck

dh

dboy
1st Feb 2019, 09:32
Thank you deltahotel.

I know there is a lot of info on pprune and ppjn, but how accurate is it??. On ppjn they talk about a 8 on 6 off roster.
I guess you are talking about a 6 on 3 off roster?? In that case commuting is impossible. Plus the pressure on the jumpseats makes it worrying.

deltahotel
1st Feb 2019, 09:52
The only fixed roster is 9/5 which is generally popular with commuters but it takes a while to get onto that. 8/6 was talked about 15 years ago and there has been some discussion recently but I wouldn’t hold my breath. My ref to 3/6 is that duties are usually between 3&6 days long followed by days off. People make the commuting work - I did it for a year from Toulouse and it worked but was hard work. Bru is doable because people do it successfully!

You don’t say what your other job options are, if any.

My advice (feel free to ignore) would be go for the interview and ask all these questions. The recruiters are very approachable. We are recruiting strongly but don’t want you to join and then 6 months down the road go elsewhere because it doesn’t work for you for the sake of a couple of unasked questions.

dh

EAM
1st Feb 2019, 11:12
Hi

I got also the invitation.

Biggest issue for me is the LEJ base. My wife and i bought recently a house in the Belgium. But getting a flat in LEI and having a mortgage is for me financially not viable. On top of that my wife is working in Belgium as well.

I do have a question about the roster: if you are 8 days “on”, are you 8 days (nights)away and the last day coming back to base or are you coming back every single day? If the first option is being done, it allows me to commute back to Brussels, if not, i might have to forget the whole thing.

I dont find an answer, someone provide me an answer?

Ok, so you need to think about this:

If you want to commute you will be offered a part time contract which I think is about 80-90% if you live in Belgium (depends on the distance where you live).
So only 80-90% of your salary but more days off.
After one year you might have the chance to go on what we call 9n5 with a full contract, 9 days on, 5 days off, but the 9on include a rest day at the beginning and the end.
like jumpseating to LEJ on Monday evening, back on Tuesday morning the following week.

If you want a full contract you need to take your residence in Leipzig and the opportunities to jumpseat home are very limited.

SaulGoodman
1st Feb 2019, 16:23
9-5 is when you look at it negative
7-7 is when you look at it positive
8-6 is about right. (Imo)

j/s to BRU is very difficult as there are many Belgians with higher priority. Paris might be a possibility, CGN perhaps or AMS.

dboy
1st Feb 2019, 16:58
Commuting to CGN, AMS, and CDG might be an option.

But do i understand well that the first day and last day of the 9 day rotation are resting time and many others are commuting on that day? Not clear all this.

And if so, is the company allowing this?

@deltahotel you say that it might take a while before getting this roster. What kind of roster does one get before that?

tx all for the constructive input.

deltahotel
1st Feb 2019, 17:14
Random and flexible. So normally anything from 3-6 days on followed by days off. If LEJ based then the first sector is normally outbound from LEJ after midnight which is how commuters come in on their first evening. Likewise last sector inbound will get in usually before midnight and commute home later.

All that said it is massively variable and to be honest I haven’t kept up with all the changes on commuting policies. EAM above has good points on PT contracts depending on how far from LEJ you live. The best work life balance in this company is to live in/near LEJ if you can make it work with family etc.

If if you go to interview do not leave the room until you are absolutely sure of all the implications of contracts, commutes, rosters, lifestyle etc. It is very much in our interest that you join with clarity

IFLYyouBREATH
1st Feb 2019, 22:45
Hi Folks,

Do you have some hours ?

Cause the HR sent a sort of PFO cause I have a cadet profile

Council Van
2nd Feb 2019, 09:22
Hi CV. I think it’s grown up a bit since then and hopefully more sensible now!

Falconetti. Please use the search function - there’s loads of stuff on this forum about DHK. Above all have a sensible answer ready for ‘how are you going to make LEJ work? Where do you plan to live etc?’

good luck

dh
That was ten or eleven years ago. The other thing I remember is how long it dragged on for, over an hour.
At least the SIM assesment was quick, 20 mins, job done and he also told me I would be getting a positive phone call. The hold pool dragged on as well, nearly 3 years!

Young, free and single. Get a flat in Leipzig, learn to speak German, have a good time.

Married, wife and kids back home. Don't forget that you fly for the money to finance your family and the pay is ok and you are getting hours on a heavy jet. Do your bonded time then try to get a job near home.

If you can sleep in the day in hotels then it's not a bad job, struggle to sleep, as I did, and it's like a prison sentence with the torture of fatigue. Commuting used to be stressful, I don't know if it has changed since I left.

Most of the crews were great, people from loads of different countries so all ways interestiing to talk about where they come from. Quite a few destinations but nearly always an ILS to a long runway and oddly enough the weather is often a lot more benign at night but you will do loads of auto lands in the winter fog.

A good start to any ones career, for me it was a way to keep the money coming in having been made redundant at the start of the last recession.

DHL oUtpia would be to settle in Leipzig and fly the block roster starting on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Fly for a few nights, weekend at home, fly for a couple of nights, week off.👍

SaulGoodman
3rd Feb 2019, 05:02
That was ten or eleven years ago. The other thing I remember is how long it dragged on for, over an hour.
At least the SIM assesment was quick, 20 mins, job done and he also told me I would be getting a positive phone call. The hold pool dragged on as well, nearly 3 years!

Young, free and single. Get a flat in Leipzig, learn to speak German, have a good time.

Married, wife and kids back home. Don't forget that you fly for the money to finance your family and the pay is ok and you are getting hours on a heavy jet. Do your bonded time then try to get a job near home.

If you can sleep in the day in hotels then it's not a bad job, struggle to sleep, as I did, and it's like a prison sentence with the torture of fatigue. Commuting used to be stressful, I don't know if it has changed since I left.

Most of the crews were great, people from loads of different countries so all ways interestiing to talk about where they come from. Quite a few destinations but nearly always an ILS to a long runway and oddly enough the weather is often a lot more benign at night but you will do loads of auto lands in the winter fog.

A good start to any ones career, for me it was a way to keep the money coming in having been made redundant at the start of the last recession.

DHL oUtpia would be to settle in Leipzig and fly the block roster starting on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Fly for a few nights, weekend at home, fly for a couple of nights, week off.👍

I actually went to a job closer to home but sometimes I wish I didn’t. The DHL job is dead easy and if you can sleep during the day its no too tiring when you are on the block roster. Ofcourse you have some long nights but you have that on LH also. DHL is actually quite a smooth operatiion. I do miss it.

dboy
3rd Feb 2019, 18:31
Well while using the search function in here i found a typical roster:

“This can be a typical roster.
Sun: LEJ-CGN 2200-2300z [24 hours in CGN]
Mon: CGN-LEJ 2200-2300z
Tue: LEJ-ARN 0300-0450z [Day stop] ARN-LEJ 2030-2200z
Wed: LEJ-BLL 0320-0430z [Day stop] BLL-LEJ 2145-2250z
Thur: LEJ-CIA 0350-0540z [Day stop] CIA-LEJ 2040-2240z

When returning to LEJ after each trip, unless you have an apartment nearby the airport, you'll end up waiting in the hub for the next sector and that can be up to 4 hours. There are sleeping facilities (bunks, quiet room with reclining chairs) though you have to be early to grab a chair or even a bunk as they go rather quickly.”

In other words, i need anyway to rent a flat or getting a hotelroom for a few nights a week. On top of that commuting will be extremely expensive ( if i have to fly by airline back since jumpseating is really hard). Basically my expenses will increase like hell and my higher salary will be lower from what i have now.

Bit of a shame i have to withdraw myself now because i really think DHL is a good stable outfit with a lot of perspectives.

best regards.

EAM
3rd Feb 2019, 19:15
First of all this is not a typical roster, you will do 3 sectors most of the nights and have about 2-3 hours in the hub.
Usually it doesn't make sense to go to an apartment nearby.

If you are not having an apartment in Leipzig, then you will have a part time contract.

deltahotel
3rd Feb 2019, 20:14
I don’t know anyone who would go away from the hub on any of those duties. The days are in nice hotels (those are all good stops) and the time in the hub goes by. There are more rest facilities being built.

That said better to walk away now than get here and hate it!

dboy
4th Feb 2019, 19:33
HI

Got today a mail from HR about the T and C. So basically if you have to commute more than 4h you get a 10/12 roster and pay. BUT ad hoc roster ( no block roster)!!!

How many days off you get after the days on?
For a full timer how many days on you have a month?
grts

deltahotel
4th Feb 2019, 20:15
This is pretty much what EAM and I have been saying. 10/12 is 83%. Ad hoc roster is another phrase for flexible and random and per EAM the block roster may come later. There may be times of long blocks and short breaks but the total days free of duty are contractual and they do achieve it.

To try to nail this down. A full timer has 162 days pa free of duty which is 42 days leave and 120 days off. This is contractual, so average 10 pm plus leave. 10/12 you lose 7 days leave so 35 leave. Gain 60 part time. Days off is 10pm for 10 months is 100. End up with 35 leave and 160 off spread through the year. This my understanding and I’ve been playing part time games since 2008.

Hope this helps

dboy
5th Feb 2019, 08:54
Tx.

i calculated that in case you have later on a block schedule, the 83% contract would be an equivalent of 8on 6 off.

on your last day, in this case the 8th, you finish late or early?

I reckon you are commuting as well, back to UK? Is it for you doable? Flexible enough? Or does it give you a headache?
In case of commuting i guess one is using the last off day to come to base. (So 1 day less off)

Do you have a flat as well or you just stay in a hotel in LEJ?

A very constructive thread here! (Y)

IFLYyouBREATH
5th Feb 2019, 09:23
It could be a thread more interesting if you'd say your profile :P

deltahotel
5th Feb 2019, 10:06
There is no 8/6 roster. I think EAM is right on this that a block roster 9/5 would then attract a full time roster - ask at interview.

I’m EMA based so drive 1 hour at start and finish of work blocks

SaulGoodman
6th Feb 2019, 05:34
What’s DHL Air UK’s take on a (no-deal) brexit? I would not like to join now to find out they are not allowed to run a LEJ-CIA in a few months time on a G-reg. Let alone being paid in GBP whilst living on the continent. Have been out of DHL for a few years now but I do wonder what management has to say...

(Some of) The airplanes can ofcourse move to D or EI reg. But how about the crews?

EAM
6th Feb 2019, 22:55
Have been out of DHL for a few years now but I do wonder what management has to say...

Yes, we can see that. You can be paid in Euros at a fixed rate since September last year and if you want to know the plans about post Brexit, quite easy.....

..... ask someone at the UK parliament what their idea about Brexit is.:ugh:

The management is very optimistic that we will continue like it is for at least 1 year and by then we should have an idea on how the future between EU and the UK will be and what the necessary steps are.

Krautwald
18th Feb 2019, 19:22
Sorry for disrupting - still no Brexit rumours at DHL and other freight ops? Now that flyBMI went belly up...

deltahotel
19th Feb 2019, 08:51
Flybmi not relevant to this discussion other than to say how sad it is and hope peeps find jobs quickly.

I’m sure a whole bunch of contingencies are being discussed but until the politicians get their act together and give final brexit a shape we won’t know how it will all end up.

Krautwald
19th Feb 2019, 19:14
Fair enough, I saw some relevance in UK operators active in EU bases though. Which applies to DHL UK. But - no news is still good news.

EAM
20th Feb 2019, 11:02
But - no news is still good news.

Not really, leaves everyone in uncertainty.

onichols1
20th Mar 2019, 16:53
Anyone have an update on the DHL recruitment process? Have they dropped aptitude tests?

IFLYyouBREATH
3rd Apr 2019, 20:47
As the previous post, I'd like to know the latest news about EAT/DHL...
w'd be highly appreciated!!!

Thank you

EAM
4th Apr 2019, 19:02
But this one is about DHL Air UK. ;)

dboy
5th May 2019, 14:10
Hi

Smal question, is DHL operating flights from Lux or Frankf. hahn to leipzig?? Or other airports in the vicinity perhaps?

I would like to know for commuting options.

thanks

SaulGoodman
5th May 2019, 18:13
BRU, CGN, FRA, CDG, AMS, BSL

What is time to CMD currently?

Hi

Smal question, is DHL operating flights from Lux or Frankf. hahn to leipzig?? Or other airports in the vicinity perhaps?

I would like to know for commuting options.

thanks

Krautwald
7th May 2019, 20:17
Since night work/fatigue is an issue and maybe a reason for people to move on as soon as they can(?): would ops like DHL or night freight in general be a little more generous with older applicants if they already bring shift work experience?

Thinking that if you can do the night hours/fatigue management and don’t have as many other options to fly jets or make it big elsewhere (due to age), you are more likely to stick around. Would they consider that a plus enough to balance the disadvantage of being a late starter?

flyingmeatball
9th May 2019, 17:15
Gent´s ! I have been invited for an interview and sim session in July, Can anyone shed some light on what I can expect in term of the interview and will the sim session be done in a 757?

Very exited to come back to Europe and haul some cargo :)

deltahotel
10th May 2019, 10:15
Meatballs, hi. What’s your background as that will determine the selection process? It will be 757.

Rgds

flyingmeatball
10th May 2019, 18:43
Meatballs, hi. What’s your background as that will determine the selection process? It will be 757.

Rgds

Hi ! I am going for FO position not the cadet program!

deltahotel
11th May 2019, 11:44
Good luck. Plse read through this thread - many answers in there already. I have no knowledge of the interview process, so like any normal application process. I don’t know what bases are on offer so do not leave the interview without knowing which base you will be offered, what % contract will be offered and how you plan to make the base work logistically.

SaulGoodman
31st May 2019, 20:01
With the UK heading for a hard or no deal brexit I woupd be extremely carefull to apply. With LIFO you are a sitting duck.

deltahotel
1st Jun 2019, 08:42
SAULGOODMAN. What is your agenda with DHL? Pease don’t talk it down - much as I hate the idea of leaving the EU (which may or may not happen) there is no expectation of redundancies - quite the opposite with recruiting and training going ahead.

EAM
1st Jun 2019, 16:56
@dboy, the social contribution is not useless no matter if you are commuting or not, it pays your health care, your pension etc. you pay all that in Germany, but with that you will get health care in the country you live in and your pension contribution will be than taken into account and credited in any country of the EU, maybe even in a post Brexit UK, who knows.

But to answer your question, expect around 220-240h per month, that's about 750-800GBP but only about 50% of that is tax free.

@SG in your case I wouldn't apply at all.

SaulGoodman
2nd Jun 2019, 18:20
I have no agenda with DHL. I worked several years for them and was quite good. However I would not go to DHK now on a sterling contract with the uncertainty of brexit. I would rather go to EAT/ASL. Especially if you are a EU citizen. That is all.

DHL ops could well be on of the best gig in town. Easy to commute. Easy operation. Good guys. They should just go back to the week on/off roster and nobody would leave.

EAM
3rd Jun 2019, 08:42
@SG, of course you can have your opinion and certainly you can post it here. But the thing is, your post shows that you have absolutely no clue about the situation in DHK.
So it might be wise to just leave it as it is and not to give any advice about a future in DHK.

And I don't mean this in a bad way.

SaulGoodman
3rd Jun 2019, 09:43
@SG, of course you can have your opinion and certainly you can post it here. But the thing is, your post shows that you have absolutely no clue about the situation in DHK.
So it might be wise to just leave it as it is and not to give any advice about a future in DHK.

And I don't mean this in a bad way.

ok fair enough...

so EAM... tell us.. what’s happening with brexit?

EAM
3rd Jun 2019, 10:16
Why should I? I know what will happen with DHK after Brexit and that's all I care about.

Hawker400
3rd Jun 2019, 18:48
Since there's been some recent activity in the thread thought I'd ask. What the estimate time to command for someone joining with less than 1000hrs but previous jet experience (500 in my case)? Seems they removed the 757 option, is the a300 limited to more experienced applicants?

EAM
3rd Jun 2019, 20:06
Wrong company/thread, this is about DHL Air UK, we do not have A300, just 757 and 767. The A300 are with EAT, but both companies require at least 3000h total, with around 300h a year it will take you quite some years.

Hawker400
3rd Jun 2019, 20:15
Wrong company/thread, this is about DHL Air UK, we do not have A300, just 757 and 767. The A300 are with EAT, but both companies require at least 3000h total, with around 300h a year it will take you quite some years.
Ah apologies, Was thinking the LEJ was the Leipzig outfit merged into this thread. Had a feeling about the time to upgrade. Thanks for confirming, definitely something to consider on my side.

Banana Joe
3rd Jun 2019, 22:10
No seniority?

EAM
4th Jun 2019, 08:50
@Hawker, no worries, just to make sure you are aware that there are 2 different companies both with Leipzig base.

@banana joe, there is kind of seniority, but in DHK command is not purely based on seniority.

Tricia Takanawa
18th Jun 2019, 14:43
Im thinking about applying for DHL Air UK, and was wondering what the lifestyle is like at the moment. Are they offering a fixed roster pattern?

Currently SFO on long haul. Do they use seniority to dictate who gets to fly 767 (777 in a few years), and for upgrade?

Piece of string question... But traditionally, how long has the wait been for a shot at command? And is it a fair process?

Cheers
TT

captbod
18th Jun 2019, 22:00
It all depends on your current hours, I see you’re currently flying L/H so if you meet the 3000 minimum then providing you get a tick in the box on your sims you could in today’s climate be looking at a Crack at it in under two years. As for the fixed roster that is seniority based however you’d have a better chance if you were LEJ based rather than EMA, it’s known as the 9 n 5 which actually works out 8 n 6 in reality but it’s not available to 76 long haul crews. As for the 777......please tell me more???

EAM
19th Jun 2019, 09:21
I think most of it is already answered in this thread.
Yes there is a fixed pattern and you can get on it after 1 year, 9n5 and as captbod says, unlikely to get in EMA.
For the command as already mentioned, 2 years and all the boxes ticked, at the moment around 3 years, but I guess it might be more in the next years.
Everything is seniority based, but not only on seniority.

The 777 should be here in 2021/22 taking over the A330 flights. :}

EAM
19th Jun 2019, 21:05
We are doing a lot of commands at the moment, but I don't think this will continue for much longer. If you join today it would be at least 2 years, but unless we are getting more a/c I guess the guys who will have their command in the next 2 years will be enough to cover the retirements.
So, 2-3 years at the moment, but I think that is very optimistic for the future, but hey, its DHL and you never never know. ;-)

EAM
16th Jul 2019, 18:59
Yes, that option is still available. Basic salary with 1,2€ flight duty pay according current exchange rate.

flyingmeatball
15th Aug 2019, 19:53
Guys I am looking at my package and its saying 12/12 or 11/12 I was reading it as 12 on 12 off or 11 on 12 off have I understood it correctly? Everyone seams to be talking about 6/5 and so on.

Cheers

hobnobanyone
16th Aug 2019, 06:45
Hi meatball,

Basically, depending on your commute as a new joiner, you can be offered a part time contract as part of a zonal policy in order to help mitigate Fatigue. This particular deal is only available to Experienced joiners and not LEP/Cadets.

So anything along those lines (10/12, 11/12s etc...) means that if you take your work and divide it by 12 and multiply it by 10 or 11, that’ll be your total work for the year. You’ll still be on a flexi contract but whereas the normal full time flexi roster has around 10 days off per month on it, expect a couple more each month.

In terms of pay (in the uk at least!), it doesn’t make too much difference really due to tax.

Hope this helps!

EAM
16th Aug 2019, 08:59
If you move and live in Leipzig you will be offered a full time contract, 12/12. If you want to commute you will be offered a part time contract 11/12 or 10/12.
After 1 year you can apply for the block roster, full time or part time, which is 9/5 9days on 5 days off.

deltahotel
16th Aug 2019, 14:39
Here’s another way of looking at it.

For every month of your contract you ‘earn’ 10 OFF days and 3.5 days leave. So a full contract (12/12th) gets 42 days leave and 120 OFF days distributed through the year (total 162). A 10/12th contract has 61 part time days off (2/12x365), gets 100 OFF days and 35 days leave, so after 35 days leave there are 161 days off to be distributed over the whole year (total 196).

Hope this helps.

dh

ps still trying to work out who EAM and hobnob are!!

EAM
16th Aug 2019, 18:21
ps still trying to work out who EAM and hobnob are!!

Same here, trying to work out who dh is. ;-)

deltahotel
16th Aug 2019, 18:30
EAM

Don’t think it’s that hard!

DH

flyingmeatball
16th Aug 2019, 19:24
Thanks for the clarification just trying to figure out how many schnitzels I can get down in a year :)

EAM
17th Aug 2019, 11:14
EAM

Don’t think it’s that hard!

DH

I can say the same, actually it is quite easy.
I know about working conditions in DHK AND EAT, so who is that? ;-)

Time4You
18th Aug 2019, 21:08
Questions:

- How is the salary on fixed roster and part time ?
- How is the working atmosphere in Leipzig ?
- Time to command ?

Thanks

deltahotel
19th Aug 2019, 08:04
Ppjn reasonably close. PT is a straight percentage of full time.
Good place to work - multi national, good people, friendly flight decks
Command - too variable to comment. Currently 4-5, has been 2, has been 8.

HtH

dh

Banana Joe
21st Aug 2019, 22:33
Are they currently recruiting FO as well? Average experience?
DHL Air UK of course.

deltahotel
22nd Aug 2019, 08:01
BJ

Think so

rudestuff
22nd Aug 2019, 08:47
8 a month at the moment

FoxtrotGolfFoxtrot
22nd Aug 2019, 13:08
Getlemen

I was wondering if someone has new informations about the recrutining process at DHL in Leipzing.
Is DLR test part of the assessment?. If yes which one ? How is the process structured

I thank you in advance for your replies

EAM
22nd Aug 2019, 13:22
No it's not.
If you apply for EAT than you need to do the assessment via Interpersonal.

FoxtrotGolfFoxtrot
22nd Aug 2019, 14:26
Thank you so much for your reply. Where can I practice for this test ?

Banana Joe
22nd Aug 2019, 20:58
For InterPersonal, the SkyTest product is exactly identical to what you can expect at InterPersonal Same for Level and Eurowings.

FoxtrotGolfFoxtrot
23rd Aug 2019, 08:22
Thank you so much for you reply @Bana Joe

EAM
23rd Aug 2019, 11:18
Just to make it sure, Interpersonal is for EAT, you are in the DHK thread.;)

Banana Joe
14th Sep 2019, 12:39
Question for the DHL Air UK guys that fly out of LEJ base. Do employees obtain discounts on Deutsche Bahn network if they live in Germany?
I understand it's easy to commute from Frankfurt on DHL, but just looking for some info. I know the employees at EAT do.

EAM
14th Sep 2019, 12:48
No you don't, not even in EAT. Some got the Industry Travel Card but its not for Cargo Airlines, they were just lucky. ;-)

FoxtrotGolfFoxtrot
17th Sep 2019, 11:04
I tried to find out where it is possible to apply for a first officer position at DHL Uk having a look at the DHL web site but it did not find the right webpage.
Does anyone has the correct link or a general hr email where it is possible to send an application?
I thank you in advance for the reply.

Banana Joe
17th Sep 2019, 11:59
I sent my CV to the email you find on PPJN and they got back to me relatively quickly.

FoxtrotGolfFoxtrot
17th Sep 2019, 18:59
Grazie Banana Joe !

Daddy Fantastic
9th Oct 2019, 16:59
Apparently DHL Bahrain are getting 3 more 767 aircraft. Can anybody confirm whether they have arrived as apparently they were supposed to be ready for use fromJan 2020 and onwards.

Is there any news as to whether the expansion plans have been put on hold for theMiddle East group?

rudestuff
9th Oct 2019, 23:22
Apparently DHL Bahrain are getting 3 more 767 aircraft. Can anybody confirm whether they have arrived as apparently they were supposed to be ready for use fromJan 2020 and onwards.

Is there any news as to whether the expansion plans have been put on hold for theMiddle East group?
Wrong thread

P40Warhawk
2nd Nov 2019, 23:55
Hi all,

People who try to contact me here for info, pls send me your e mail address as in some cases new accounts have restricted inbox space so I cannot respond.

P40

beaver341
16th Mar 2020, 12:11
They are getting the three B767-300F that were being flown by DHK

Banana Joe
16th Mar 2020, 15:58
Isn't DHK DHL Air UK?:confused:

Daddy Fantastic
16th Mar 2020, 16:06
DHK just pulled 1 of their 767-300 from Bahrain. I believe they only had 2 over there. I heard it was due to the US markets closing causing them some havoc..

deltahotel
16th Mar 2020, 16:46
More transatlantic flights to be done by the 767.

beaver341
16th Mar 2020, 17:18
DHK is indeed DHL Air (UK)

The aircraft though are owned by DHL as a larger entity so they will send them to whichever subsidiary is most relevant at the time. DHK flew them for ten years and then powers that be moved them to Bahrain to replacing the ageing 767-200 conversions there. So, now one returns to DHK...

Banana Joe
16th Mar 2020, 17:39
So how many 767's will DHL Air UK have now? More than 3?

Daddy Fantastic
16th Mar 2020, 17:46
1 left in Bahrain for DHL-UK and the contract ends in September but there is now a good chance it could also be pulled from Bahrain..

deltahotel
16th Mar 2020, 17:57
Still three

Banana Joe
25th Mar 2020, 15:39
Besides the current situation with Covid-19, what are the plans to tackle the uncertainty of Brexit for the crews based in LEJ?
Is there an exchange rate protection in place for those based and living in a Germany?

deltahotel
25th Mar 2020, 15:56
Who knows, but be assured planning for Brexit will no doubt continue and there will be a solution to allow us to continue to operate.

Banana Joe
25th Mar 2020, 16:03
I am sure about it. I am asking because DHL Air UK (as well as EAT) would be a good option for me since I live in Germany. Much easier to commute.

deltahotel
25th Mar 2020, 16:16
Then good luck for the future. DHK and EAT will continue, of that I am certain. Obviously recruiting is currently not on anyone’s agenda. We are fully manned and pre covid any recruitment was for hold pool only.

Mr Angry from Purley
25th Mar 2020, 18:09
DHK is indeed DHL Air (UK)

The aircraft though are owned by DHL as a larger entity so they will send them to whichever subsidiary is most relevant at the time. DHK flew them for ten years and then powers that be moved them to Bahrain to replacing the ageing 767-200 conversions there. So, now one returns to DHK...
Beaver
DHK 763 x 2 came to Bahrain to replace 2 wet lease aircraft (MNG and SkyTaxi) not to replace 762.
One has gone back to fly to USA business is up no belly space on those pax aircraft sitting still. No idea for how long #Corona
Contract is till Jan 2021
At DP/DHL flexibility is the name of the game.

deltahotel
25th Mar 2020, 18:13
And Mr Angry will know.

EAM
26th Mar 2020, 14:20
Is there an exchange rate protection in place for those based and living in a Germany?

There is a fixed rate and you will be paid in euros.

captain.weird
9th May 2020, 14:13
From what I've understand, there are a lot of rostering options based on individual needs w/ DHL. What about the upgrade opportunities? What are the requirements and is it seniority or hours based?

deltahotel
9th May 2020, 15:04
Largely seniority with min 3000 hrs. Pre Covid we were fully manned and only recruiting for hold pool. Who came up with the name talent pool??

Banana Joe
9th May 2020, 15:06
So, assuming that recruitment will be closed for the next 5 years is not far fetched.

deltahotel
9th May 2020, 15:36
I have no view or insight into future recruitment.

EAM
10th May 2020, 07:49
Not sure if its gonna be closed for the next 5 years, but with a few hundred applications on hold, and about 100 on short list, I would say its very close.

GKOC41
10th May 2020, 16:56
Not sure if its gonna be closed for the next 5 years, but with a few hundred applications on hold, and about 100 on short list, I would say its very close.

And attrition apart from Pilots retiring will be zero - I mean where will anyone go??

EAM
11th May 2020, 10:56
We have quite a few guys retiring in the next few years, but you are right, very few people left in the last 2-3 years and I guess almost no one will leave in the next 2-3 years. people realised that DHK is a ******* good job.

Fishermens
17th May 2020, 19:10
Off topic,

we are changing uniform provider. looking for the DHL/EAT leather jacket provider. Name/model/brand/webpage would be nice. Thanks.

deltahotel
18th May 2020, 09:41
DHK doesn’t have this jacket - you need to contact EAT.

Rgds

Fishermens
20th May 2020, 15:55
DHK doesn’t have this jacket - you need to contact EAT.

Rgds

Thanks, will ask next time im in Leipzig.

Telekon
3rd Oct 2022, 13:17
Any idea if DHK recruitment is ongoing? I'm looking to move back to the UK permanently from a commuting job overseas.

Also looking for salary (NTR FO presumably would be 767). PPJN is a mess listing base pay as both £78k and £67k but I have also seen £58k being banded around on another thread... I would appreciate if someone could set the record straight.

Thanks

deltahotel
3rd Oct 2022, 19:17
There is certainly induction and training for RHS 767 ongoing. Whether there is still recruitment or there are enough in the pipeline I have no idea - I guess you won’t know until you apply!

Round figures, NTR 60k, rising to 70k after a year.

Hth

Telekon
4th Oct 2022, 08:48
I sent them a CV several weeks back to enquire about recruitment (couldn't find any online application to apply via).... heard nothing. Not rated on the 767, but fairly local to EMA and +6000 hours of Boeing time (747 / 737).

In the same boat here, widebody Boeing freighter time and local to EMA. CV sent a couple of months ago but not heard a peep even to acknowledge it was received which is why I wondered if they were still recruiting or not.

There is certainly induction and training for RHS 767 ongoing. Whether there is still recruitment or there are enough in the pipeline I have no idea - I guess you won’t know until you apply!

Round figures, NTR 60k, rising to 70k after a year.

Hth

Thanks for the info DH, much appreciated.

As an aside, is the 75 & 76 considered a common fleet for pilots at DHK?

rudestuff
4th Oct 2022, 09:39
As an aside, is the 75 & 76 considered a common fleet for pilots at DHK?
Yes.

I heard they've had to postpone recruitment to allow the training department to catch up, but that recruitment will be ongoing.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
4th Oct 2022, 10:12
Recruitment is ongoing for the 767.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
4th Oct 2022, 10:31
Best bet is to send in your CV to [email protected]

You will need a UK licence and the right to live and work in the UK. 767 slots are RHS.

deltahotel
4th Oct 2022, 15:08
75/76 are (is?) a common type rating and there are mixed fleet pilots but all recruitment is for the 767 and there are no plans to use new joiners on the 757

Pilotman14
14th Nov 2022, 18:18
Has anybody heard back from them after sending an email?

geardown1
14th Dec 2022, 17:41
I see DHL UK is recruiting for FO's, can any current crew members share the FO/SFO Salary and is it possible to commute?

deltahotel
15th Dec 2022, 14:56
Post #225 may help. You need a declared address within 90 mins of ema in order to be rested prior. HtH

goaround737
28th Jan 2023, 23:27
Does anyone have an up to date description of the sim profile and interview at DHL Air U.K.?Previous posts seem to refer to EAT or are several years out of date.

many thanks

the aviator1977
8th Feb 2023, 15:20
Since the recent advert for 'aircraft pilot' jobs advertised for DHL (UK) has anyone heard anything regarding their application? Any interviews/pfo's etc?

geardown1
6th Mar 2023, 07:38
Hey folks, I'm looking for some long haul cargo tips/essentials to get me started. I got offered EMA 767 after flying regionals for a while - so i'm heading into long haul blind. Anything to recommend? Thought this thread would be the best place as most already do exactly this.

Cheers

ToCatLady
6th Mar 2023, 12:27
Hey folks, I'm looking for some long haul cargo tips/essentials to get me started. I got offered EMA 767 after flying regionals for a while - so i'm heading into long haul blind. Anything to recommend? Thought this thread would be the best place as most already do exactly this.

Cheers

have sent you a PM

Cx123
30th May 2023, 15:49
have sent you a PM

Could you provide some tips for me please? In similar positions having been flying pax regional and got offered EMA long hual, without much clue about operations of sectors longer than 6 hours. TIA.

deltahotel
30th May 2023, 16:24
Have you been offered 767 or 777, because they are very different operations?

Cx123
30th May 2023, 17:34
Have you been offered 767 or 777, because they are very different operations?

Triple. Any information about the operation and roster would be highly appreciated.

deltahotel
30th May 2023, 21:10
Then I’m sorry I have very little to offer (different fleet) other than some of the trips are quite long (many days) and some of the sectors quite long (many hours). Anything I say now will be out of date as routes change and aircraft numbers increase.

Good luck

Cx123
31st May 2023, 10:22
Then I’m sorry I have very little to offer (different fleet) other than some of the trips are quite long (many days) and some of the sectors quite long (many hours). Anything I say now will be out of date as routes change and aircraft numbers increase.

Good luck

Thank you mate. It seems the trip will be round the globe as I see from the flightradar it starts from US Japan HK then back home. Probably 1.5 trip per month could kills the hours.

aoflight
8th Jun 2023, 07:53
Hi

Just been offered the 767 at EMA, would also appreciate as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance.

deltahotel
8th Jun 2023, 13:47
Please read back through this thread and others.

Be good at sleeping, always have a good book, be a nice person. If you are change averse this may not be for you.

Otherwise, rock up and enjoy.

Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP
14th Jun 2023, 19:31
Non type rated 777 F/O positions now available.

donogca
16th Jun 2023, 13:03
Good day,
Thanks for the information on this thread.
I've been offered a sim next month after completing the interview last week. The position is on the 777. If there are any current 777 pilots willing to pass any information about rosters, work life balance by DM I'd really appreciate any advice.
DHL seems like a great company and very friendly from my experience so far. I'd be moving from a leisure airline so no experience with long haul.

Thanks in advance