PDA

View Full Version : License Conversion from JAA to Canada

Piloto2011
25th Sep 2011, 15:42
Hi,

In a nutshell, what would I have to do to convert my JAR CPL ME/IR (1,000h) to a Canadian license? And what to do to get a work permit (EU citizen with unrestricted passport)?

Thanks much! :ok:

z.khalid
1st Oct 2011, 17:58
Do let me know when you've got an answer. :O

drag king
1st Oct 2011, 23:31
Hello there!

Hope it doesn't harm anyone if I add my query to the tread-starter' one...

A little of my background: I did ALL the initial training in USA, from 0 to CPL-SEL/MEL (A) - IR then moved back to EU and converted. I now hold a UK CAA CPL/ME-IR and a B200 rating (this last one endorsed for multi-pilot operations only with the IR attached).

After the initial 250-ish hrs in the States I never returned for more flying so my FAA medical, BFR, etc, etc are a must if I want to put everything back on track. And here is where my dilemma starts...

What is best? Re-activate the FAA ticket and the convert (with relative ease as stated in TC website) to TCCA or skip this step and gear up for a JAA (EASA) to TCCA process?

The first options seems more logical to me, taken into account that I can get an FAA and/or TC Class 1 medical from the same guy that does my JAA's tomorrow. I could also have my FAA up and running again without leaving the UK, I suppose and perhaps add the ATP.

My actual experience in a nutshell: 1700 TT, 1100 ME (mainly twin-turboprop) , 900 IFR, 300 night, 600 PIC, MCC, fATPL...etc, etc.

Regards

DK :ok:

Pace152
9th Oct 2011, 14:28
Hey DragKing,

You're in a very similair position to me (apart from you have double my hours :-). I reckon I'm going to do it the FAA to Canadian way as its alot easier than converting the JAA. If I'm right it just involves getting a Canadian medical, making sure you're FAA medical is current and doing a Canadian CPL written exam.

I think you can only do the written exam in Canada but if anybody knows if you can do it in the UK please let me know.

beardedclam
11th Oct 2011, 17:32
Friend of mine at Air canada looked into it for me. Same situation. Answer is 2 part, good and bad. Pre ATPL issue, we need to do the equivalent of out ATPL theory exams, a CPL test flight, and an IR test flight, hours as required. GOOD NEWS- once we achieve ATPL a 25 question exam and paperwork only. BOOO. I'm not unfrozen yet.

YHZ
7th Nov 2011, 06:14
hey there guys!
beardedclaim you sure about the 25 question exam? I have a jaa atpl and canadian cpl/ifr/multi. I currently work in europe so i tried to get my canadian atpl 2 years ago, then having the JAA atpl 3000hrs total I still had to do and ifr flight test, and the 2 canadian atpl exams then to find out i was 75 hours f/o time short.In canada only 50% of your f/o time is counted towards your atpl. now my atpl writtens expired ( they are only valid 2 years). Now I have the hours but couldn't be bothered to spend all that money again with no canadian carrier interview on the line. If something has changed please let us know. thanks