PDA

View Full Version : Blimp over Milton Keynes!

swashplate
30th May 2001, 12:01
6pm yesterday, saw black Goodyear Blimp over Stantonbury, M.K.

PUKKA!!!

Thought it was one of those tethered things , but then it manouvered over to Linford Wood way when I lost sight of it.

What was it doing - training, sightseeing sortie? Presumably based Cranfield? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Anyone any info/facts? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Or diametrically opposed opinions (a la scarebus v Boiing), slander, libel, flaming etc... :) :)

Bouncy Landing
30th May 2001, 12:24
More likely Cardington based (if thats still active)?

foghorn
30th May 2001, 12:48
I think it is based at Cardington

TEMP0+TSRAGR
30th May 2001, 14:45
It was over Marlow + High Wycombe yesterday around 11am ......

Is it the old 'Airship Industry' machine ?
Does it still do sightseing trips over London ?

swashplate
30th May 2001, 18:30
No mate, it definetly had 'GOODYEAR' in white letters. Blimp was all black.

Never heard of any airship doing sightseeing over London. Bit scary with all that duralium around!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

However, there used to be one of those tethered balloon type observation rides nr Vauxhall station last summer.

Don't know if it's still there........

Mycroft
31st May 2001, 00:15
Swashplate - the Vauxhall balloon was not there at the beginning of May, not surprising as they were charging more than the London Eye for a shorter 'flight'. There may still be one near the south side of Tower Bridge (I believe they had legal problems after a previous balloon broke free)

Airbanda
31st May 2001, 00:44
Judging by signs along road and at rail station there was a major concert at the MK bowl yesterday, possibly airship was associated with TV coverage or follow up video?
Sightseeing flights by airship over London were not uncommon 7/10 yrs ago, don't know if they were promotional/invitation jobs or available at a fare. Such flights are widely advertised in both helicopters and fixed wing a/c sometimes including classics like the Rapide or Lufthansa Ju52.

Red Spitfire Driver
31st May 2001, 01:06
Gentlemen,

The Airship is an ABC (American Blimp Corp) A-60+ lightship.

Envelope - Volume 70,000 cu ft of Helium, length 130ft, height 44ft, width 34ft.
Gondola - length 14ft, width 5 ft, Seating 5 (max).
Performance 46 kts (max),
Airborne duration 15hrs on station, turning circle 750ft diameter.
The name Lightship is used because the entire envelope can be internally illuminated, providing a dramatic advertising platform at night.

There are only 3 Skyships still operating. Only one in Europe (N602CL) and that is based at Brand in former East Germany.

Goodyear stopped operating their own 'Blimps' in Europe after 'Europa' crashed in the South of France.

It is believed that the current ABC 'Goodyear' is operating from White Waltham - that is its usual base for flights over London.

Airship Industries 'Skycruise' operated sightseeing flights over London in 1987. They used a 13 seat Skyship 600. The operation was based at Radlett (aahh nostalgia), £125 for a 75 minute flight.

[This message has been edited by Red Spitfire Driver (edited 30 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Red Spitfire Driver (edited 30 May 2001).]

PPRuNe Dispatcher
31st May 2001, 01:55
I saw the ABC 'Goodyear' on the ground at White Waltham as I drove past at about 1045am on Monday.

---PPRuNe Dispatcher

31st May 2001, 02:03
It's been at Cranfield for the past two days and nights, along with it's support crew.
Possibly to do some overhead shots of the British Masters golf at Woburn coming up soon?
Great big yellow Goodyear letters lit up at night.
What's the difference between 365....

[This message has been edited by 312928 (edited 30 May 2001).]

Ennie
31st May 2001, 11:39
The Goodyear blimp is back is it!!!, its to do with the Golf at Woburn coming up, it was there last year when I was a student at Cabair, it spends it's nights at Cranfield. Quite interesting to see it land last year with a 15 knot crosswind, he must have tried five times to land it cos we went through an entire Nav class and he still hadn't got it down!.

------------------
"Keep The F*****G Ball In The Middle"!!!

Human Factors Guy
31st May 2001, 15:25
It is at Cranfield at the moment

31st May 2001, 20:56
Yep