PDA

View Full Version : No Frills = Let's buy some 737-300s - Why?

twistedenginestarter
11th Jan 2002, 14:37
BMid announce yesterday they are going to start an airline which will be 737-300s and... well we'll work out the rest of the details next week.

Does anybody understand this? I would have thought Airbus would be a better path to beat as they are better for Cross Crew and Multi-Fleet.

fireflybob
12th Jan 2002, 21:00
Good question - I think the answer is too often historical in the sense that if the appropriate flight "manager" is a Boeing man (sorry person) then they'll go for Boeing and vice versa.

Don't expect anyone to come up with a logical decision - that would imply an element of long term planning! Some of us have flown both Boeing and Airbus but I would not like to comment on which I think is better!!

nice_beaver
13th Jan 2002, 00:09
Well if your imagination only runs to cobbling together a low cost operation to try to fend off the 'new upstart' on your doorstep you may as well copy their aircraft choice as well. The whole idea seems to be an ill thought out knee jerk reaction so why expect a reasoned choice of a/c!!

In trim
13th Jan 2002, 00:21
The 737-300 has been around for longer, and in greater numbers, than the A320 family. This means there has historically been a lot more data around on residual values etc. for the 737 than the Airbus.

This is obviously not the only issue, but for many low cost carriers (high load factor, low yield), this stability is essential, therefore the 737 tended to be the main choice.

Only now that Airbus long-term residual values are well-defined is that aircraft type becoming more attractive to the low-cost operators.