PDA

View Full Version : Cathay running freighters into East Midlands?

cpt_frank_butcher
21st Jan 2001, 04:19
I've noticed on a EMA website that Cathay are shortly to be operating B747 freighters into the airport from HKG via Frankfurt. Anyone have any idea what's brought this about. Seems a bit of a strange option to me, but looking forward to seeing the big boys round here.

Anti Skid On
21st Jan 2001, 04:31
Doesn't sound that odd to me - EMA is right next to the M1, therefore road transport of goods would be easy; could it have anything to do with Toyota being just up the road? Have CX got a contract to ship bits back the other way? Perhaps CX have noticed a niche and can get flights despatched more easily than at EGCC?

cpt_frank_butcher
21st Jan 2001, 04:39
Yeah I suppose you are right, just initially seemed strange to see that 74s would be coming in here, esp from such a big player as CX. Can't wait!

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 08:57
EMA is THE FREIGHT Capital of the UK at night and surely has been for at least the last fifteen years , maybe twenty , (certainly with mail),the glorious S.G. years!

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 09:06
Certainly one thing that helps bye the way is that the r/w is now nine and a half thousand feet long instead of 7.5......mmmmmmmmmmm Choice