PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Maths

Ian_Wannabe
21st Jan 2001, 00:59
Hello!
I'm in the last year of high school and I soon have my GCSE's (or Finals to the americans) and I'm attempting to find out what I can do if I mess up my maths exam, as I need a C or above to apply for sponsorship to an airline.
I realise I can retake any exams, but I would be grateful if anyone else knows if it's all over from step one, or if I can do anything about it!

[This message has been edited by Ian_Wannabe (edited 20 January 2001).]

CargoRat2
21st Jan 2001, 02:16
Sorry mate. You'd better sort out your spelling first.

------------------
rgds Rat

Ian_Wannabe
21st Jan 2001, 02:24
erm...CargoRat2,
That message was called a " write it as quick as you can because you're going out" message.
Anyway, can you help in any way?

piloteddy
21st Jan 2001, 02:28
Hi Ian,

I know you've probabily been told this 100's of times(I know I was last year when I did my GCSE's) but what you've gotta do is get yourself a good revision guide (Letts are probabily the best), set up and stick to a revision timetable (nearer to exam time) and most importantly be positive!!

If you work hard and put the effort in, you are 95% of the way to getting that C or better

Hope this helps.
------------------
PilotEddy

foghorn
21st Jan 2001, 03:10
Firstly, work at the maths, it's important.

Secondly, don't worry if you don't get the GCSE grades, there are plenty of pilots out there who don't have GCSE/O' Level maths.

Do be aware however that you are going to have to get up to a higher standard mathmatically than GCSE to pass your ATPL's. It doesn't really matter how you get to that standard, GCSE's or no GCSE's, but you will have to get to that standard. Many people use private tuition in the important stuff to get there.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 20 January 2001).]

DHC Twin
21st Jan 2001, 04:27
Ian mate...first of all,I can't see anything wrong with your spelling (certainly no worse than mine!).All a plan by the people living 3000 miles West of us to ruin our language!(Only a joke Rat,keep yer Allans on!)Air eerr Bus!

Ian mate,if you want to go into the RAF or BA or a sponsorship etc,you're going to have to be pretty good at maths and a number of other things to compete with the other gizzas.I'm sure you are but,just incase that's not the case,it's not quite the end.

Thick people such as myself who only achieved O levels and the odd (E grade) A Level (in metal work ..sorry Geography) are now Pilots with major world airlines...well those owned by a major world airline anyway!!!!

Good Luck Mate.Let us know how you get on.

Ian_Wannabe
21st Jan 2001, 17:57
I just want to say thanks too DHC Twin,
Fog horn and Pilot teddy for the info you've given me! :-) It's all going help along the way.

I just find it very strange that not many airline pilots have the grades, because I've heard about that a lot. Weird, but if it count's when I apply, It doesn't matter! :-) Thanks again,
Ian

Dan Dare
22nd Jan 2001, 03:53
Ian, you will probably find that GSCE Maths seems a little abstact and irrelevant. That is a failing of the teacher/teaching methods. When you get to be studying for pilot qualifications things will probably click in to place and you might not even realise that you are using geometry, trigonometry, algebra or whatever.

You do have to be good at arrithmetic though, especially at reliable mental arrithmetic. Throw away the pocket calculator and do some IQ test papers. These will exercise your brian and give you a taster of what airlines test in their sponsorship selections.

Best of luck!

CargoRat2
23rd Jan 2001, 23:48
Hi Ian,
You were right, I was on my way to bed! Never mind, I see you've done an edit; I didn't think you'd manage an English pass based on the original version of your post. The competition for sponsorship will be great, so the airlines will be able to pick and choose. You'll have to be better than most. Good luck & get stuck in there.

------------------
rgds Rat

fly_boy
24th Jan 2001, 00:03
Maths? Trigonometry is the vectors solution for aircraft speed/time/distance. Aerodynamics? Maths/Physics
Meteorology? Chemistry/Maths/Physics
Air Traffic Control? English Language
Now you know what the core subjects are to become a flyboy.
Beware the military and direct cadet sponsorship through major airlines have stringent requirements so if you have the money, you can aford not to be compared with the best.

Wantok

KYGMSY
24th Jan 2001, 00:13
While we're on the subject - as an airline pilot wannabe already in the aviation industry, I left school with a D in English Language after the second attempt. Will this hold me back in anyway ?

flyboy - already have a frtol. (ppl skill test soon to follow)

Cheers

[This message has been edited by KYGMSY (edited 23 January 2001).]

fly_boy
24th Jan 2001, 01:49
OOOooopppppppsssss!!!
"D" but if it's a mother tongue (English was my 2nd language in my diverse 800 language country), than you're OK! Make sure you know the basic Maths (1+1=3 OK?)

Wantok

KYGMSY
24th Jan 2001, 23:08
fly_boy :

Got good quals in Maths (B) and Science (C,C)

Started sixth form but decided to quit to start a career in aviation.