PDA

View Full Version : Most challenging approach apart from Kai Tak?

Speedbird744
28th May 2001, 21:03
Are there any airports nowadays that major airlines serve that have a tricky approach for landing? (apart from Kai Tak)

Specaircrew
29th May 2001, 00:22
Gibraltar can be quite interesting on a windy night!!

WOK
29th May 2001, 00:27
SEZ.

JFK 13L.

Both generally flown in c**p wx.

What the job's about!

PS. FWIW....I reckon SEZ is a lot more demanding than HKG was.

Invaribly
29th May 2001, 02:50
What does SEZ stand for?

RRAAMJET
29th May 2001, 06:04
WOK: agree with your assessment of the Carnarsie....how's life awaiting the return of the Concorde, BTW?

The Washington National can be as challenging as Kai Tak, landing south, especially on the tail-end of a hurricane!!!
The runway's short, as well. ( I was based in HKG with CX's L-1011's - oh happy days. Nothing as satisfying as a well-flown IGS in crummy wx, followed by a cold one at the CX Club with the crew....those days are long gone; hmmph..)

Orange County, CA, is OPERATIONALLY very demanding, as well as requiring precise short runway technique.

MAPt
29th May 2001, 20:09
London City with a southerly crosswind thrown in!!!!

Smudge's Lot
29th May 2001, 20:20
Corfu with any cloud below 1000' on runway 35!

wonderbusdriver
30th May 2001, 18:59
- Circling into Quito

- Circling into Addis or Sanaa in marginal weather or at night

Anyway, I´d say "demanding" Take-Offs are even more interesting...

Johnny F@rt Pants
31st May 2001, 01:41
But what about places closer to home?

Circling into Sumburgh on a poor weather day with strong winds certainly focuses the attention.

Pointer
31st May 2001, 11:41
MAPt; I agree but only when rwy 10 is on, rolling x-wnd gives traesures curve ball!
Not everyone's piece off cake.

Pointer

WOK
31st May 2001, 17:54
RRAAMJET - dull!. And sloooooow.

VARIBLY - SEZ = Mahe, Seychelles. Sorry to not be clearer 1st time.

Mooney
31st May 2001, 17:56
Bilbao, N Spain

BBB
31st May 2001, 20:50
Landing at Funchal Airport, with a nice circling approach to runway 05 is a thrilling experience.

Always expect turbulences and wind gusts. The aircraft shakes like mad as you turn on finals. Be careful not to drift left of the curved approach lights cause you have high terain waiting for you to crash on it !

Plus, it is quite a sight to see that runway built over the water. It's like landing on a bridge. Or a US navy carrier. As you prefer.

Cheers

BBB

Nick Figaretto
1st Jun 2001, 12:26
Circling to RWY 30 at Alta (ENAT), Norway during winter.

The airport is situated at in the end of a narrow fjord with high mountains on three sides. During the winter, when there are north-westerly winds above 10-15 KTS there are ALWAYS heavy showers moving in from the arctic ocean.

The procedure is further complicated by one "regular" MAPP procedure for go-around at normal ILS minimum on RWY 12, one MAPP procedure for go-around below ILS minima (777ft AGL 2.8km vis), following the ENG FAIL procedure for TO RWY 12, and one MAPP procedure for lost contact during circling.

And further: If you DON'T get a GPWS warning just when rolling out on final - you're almost certainly too high. And since the RWY is only 1938 metres long - high is the last thing you would want to be, especially when the BA is low.

Interesting stuff...

Nick.

------------------
"I have found that alcohol taken in sufficient quantity produces all the effects of drunkenness."
~ Oscar Wilde

a330
2nd Jun 2001, 08:01
VYYY , VYHH , VYTL , VYKG .... especially during this time of the year man .. MONSOOOON !!!!!! i hope that you guys know where are these places ...

VP8
2nd Jun 2001, 09:31
Denham with a xwind!!

Wahay

D02X
2nd Jun 2001, 12:35
ILS DME approach into PAKT!

Diesel8
2nd Jun 2001, 19:53
the VOR/DME Arc into Guatemala City is a lot of fun in poor vis.

dallas dude
5th Jun 2001, 07:29
Visual approaches in to St Thomas are interesting (the first time) as due to a high spot halfway down the runway, the available landing distance "appears" to be about 1500ft long, after descending below 500ft QFE.

Aspen requires some planning as you have to lose about 3500ft from FAF to touchdown.

Expressway 31 at La Guardia is also easier the second time you shoot it, especially if the wind's out of the northwest (JFK here I come!).

Taxying around O Hare is always challenging and, finally, ANY NDB's a bloody emergency (yes, I know how lucky I am).

dd

Horsepower
5th Jun 2001, 12:47
San Sebastian. VOR/DME approach with mountains and sea combing to make unpredictable winds. Go-around is very tricky as the Pyrenees start at the end of the runway. Northern Spain seems to be full of these places! Not nice in a little ol’ Arrow.

Lemoncake
5th Jun 2001, 14:26
Gibraltar in a Cessna 182 (with my dad.) Very strong turbulence...Not much fun banging your head on the roof every few seconds.....go around at about 100ft. G-****, Will you be making another approach? No thanks, we'll divert to Malaga.

Gominder
5th Jun 2001, 22:23
Once again...it´s Corfu in a 737-800 with full load for a visual on rwy 17. JUST GREAT !!!

critcaact
6th Jun 2001, 00:42
DO2X,
How about the night circle to 26 at PAJN or NDB DME C to PADU?