PDA

View Full Version : Flight time and duty limits ??

AMEX
19th Jan 2001, 20:35
I m looking for informations on flight time and duty limitations. I had a look in the AIP available over the internet but with no luck so far. I am particularly interested in the regulations applicable for charter or Air taxi operations in the UK. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

------------------
If you can't save the engine...save the airframe :)

Grandad Flyer
20th Jan 2001, 01:34
CAP371 has all the legal limits, but it does vary from company to company. There is the standard 100 flying hours per month, 900 per year limit, but also limits on duty time. I guess you should be able to order a copy from the CAA.

AMEX
20th Jan 2001, 22:37
Thanks Grandad !! Actually it was more the duty limit than flight time I was interested in but I should get a copy pretty soon. Apparently on the CAA website, this sort of publication will be available online.

------------------

Pilot Pete
21st Jan 2001, 16:17
It is all contained in the Company Operations Manual. It varies depending on single or two crew, time of start, number of sectors, regularity (ie continuous nights), amounts of rest before starting etc etc etc.

As an example I fly single crew and I have a table to consult which gives the 'benchmark' to which the more restricting limitations applied to the above can be added to get the duty hours limitation.

It looks something like this;

Duty Hour Limitations
06:00-06:59 07:00-12:59 13:00-17:59
1 10:00 11:00 10:00
2 10:00 11:00 10:00
3 10:00 11:00 10:00
4 10:00 11:00 10:00
5 09:15 10:15 09:15
6 08:30 09:30 08:30

Edit**sorry the table didn't line up when pasted in**
The times along the top are the start time for the flying duty period, the numbers down the side are the number of sectors and the times in the table are the number of duty hours allowed. The above is only a small portion of the whole table.

Also in the period you may have a split duty where for example, especially in G/A, you may take some passengers for a business trip and wait at the destination all day for them and then bring them back. If you have spent more than 3hours after signing off the last sector before signing on for the next you can take half that period and at it on to your duty period(provided suitable accomodation has been provided like a hotel room or handling agent pilot lounge which is warm etc).

Once you have applied your 'factoring' you are still permitted a descretionary period at the end, in our case up to 2 hours to allow for unforseen delays etc when the commander must fill a 'Descretion Report' for the operator which may be examined by the CAA Ops Inspector.

After all this you must have a minimum 12 hour rest period or the same number of hours rest as the previous duty, whichever is the higher. After this post I'm going for a mandatory rest! Hope it gives you an idea and shows you how complicated it all appears at first!

[This message has been edited by Pilot Pete (edited 21 January 2001).]

AMEX
22nd Jan 2001, 04:39
Thanks Pilot Pete. We haven't an OPS manual yet but it s being written at the present time. Wanted to have a look at what sort of things to expect since in the future we might be changing the way we operate. I suppose any time spent in the office doing nothing is also part of duty time as well ?? Is there a maximum duty time allowed per month as well (in case of GA single pilot) ??

------------------

excrewingbod
22nd Jan 2001, 17:42
AMEX,

I would get a copy of CAP371 before writing the duty limitation part of the OPS manual. It will make your lives a little bit easier, as CAP371 contains several example schemes, which can be used to create a FTL scheme for your company. You basically fill in the blanks in accordance with the instructions.

The CAA tend to prefer these schemes and they seem to be very wary if a Company scheme is worded differently from the ones in CAP371.

AMEX
22nd Jan 2001, 20:04
Thanks for the advice but I am only the company pilot. I don't write the OPS manual, we are employing someone for that but since it seems to take a long time I am interested in finding out more about it. Lots of promises so far but nothing for real yet...

------------------

Eli Vator
22nd Jan 2001, 21:24
Here you go - the ANO on line

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm

airbabe
23rd Jan 2001, 03:08
what ever happens you are still in hours to do the flight whatever you do

HugMonster
23rd Jan 2001, 03:45
AMEX, what aircraft will you be operating?

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

AMEX
24th Jan 2001, 20:19
Hugmonster: a nice single with a PT6 that runs forever (until it stops :) ).
Eli Vator: Thanks for the link

------------------

Pilot Pete
27th Jan 2001, 05:33
Airbabe

Hmmmmmmnnnnnnn!

PP