PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Find Out About Pprune?

criticalmass
16th Aug 2001, 16:01
Sorry if this has been asked before, but since Pprune is growing like Topsy, I was curious as to how people found out about it.

Short postings, please, and just the bare facts to keep server load down. I'm sure Danny would find this interesting, quite apart from the rest of us.

Guess I'd better kick it off. I saw the URL in an aviation magazine in a hangar at my local airport. Logged in that night...

How about you?

FlyFreeWbe
17th Aug 2001, 01:14
Talking about pages of interest to do with finding out more info about flying and the sort with my FI. Recomended PPRuNe. Actually wondering if he's one of the anon PPRuNers out there... :D

BigJETS
17th Aug 2001, 08:12
I do believe I heard mention of this board through another more obscure and now forgotten board. Made it my start page soon after I accepted that "this IS really happening"

Evo7
17th Aug 2001, 11:29
Thought that it's time to get that PPL, just need to ask a couple of questions. Went to google, found PPRuNe....

Desk Driver
17th Aug 2001, 11:59
Someone e-mailed me a joke from Jetblast and put the URL on it

52049er
17th Aug 2001, 12:17
Back in the days of a 28k modem (sniff) I found it on a web search for ...yup BA sponsorship questions.

Worked for me though (still owe Danny a pint)

52049er (NO Im not a Cathay 49er :) )

PPRuNe Towers
17th Aug 2001, 12:28
Danny phoned me up and said ,'' It's working!''

"Ummm, what's working Danny?"

"The internet site we spent weeks telling Balpa they needed - Sod'em - I've done it myself," proclaims our hero.

I foolishly replied that I'd have to switch from Compuserve to an Internet account. I was badgered until I did.

Funny how only hindsight lets you know how one simple phone call can ruin your life :D :D :D

[ 17 August 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Towers ]

Kermit 180
17th Aug 2001, 12:34
One day when I had time on my hands (a long time ago!!) a friend showed me the forums. Two years later I thought that I should 'give it a go'. the rest is history.

Kermie

Pointer
17th Aug 2001, 13:13
A Cpt of mine told me about it and i was hooked instantly, even though it almost seemed i was one of the few non native english speaking out there.

But as you can see my grammar impoved alut!

It has been my 'home'page ever since!!!!!!
:cool:

Honest Frank
17th Aug 2001, 13:44
A shifty looking geezer sidled up to me at one of the BALPA conferences and said in a gruff voice "ere 'ave you 'erd of peproone?"

ft
17th Aug 2001, 13:51
PPRuNe? Whassat? :confused:

Seriously, IIRC I was working on the ramp and wondering about the strange buzzing noise emitted by A320s on the TO roll. An acquaintance suggested I'd go here and ask. And now I can't kick it... :)

Cheers,
/ft

VFE
17th Aug 2001, 15:57
Wanted to find out how you can be a pilot.
Surfed around for a day and caught the biggest wave ever - PPRuNe! I think my search function was in a funny mood that day(!).

Things became quite surreal in a way when on a flight from Bilbao I asked to get up front and during the cruise the FO asks me if I am on the net. "Yes, of course" I reply, "well your Captain here today runs a site for wannabe pilots" he says. "Oh does he really!" I thought: "I bet it isn't as good as PPRuNe". The site he ran was PPRuNe and the Captains name?

PPRuNe Towers!!

Freaky in a way!

VFE.

SLF
17th Aug 2001, 16:54
Article in the downtime section of Computer Weekly a couple of years ago commenting on self loading freight... really made me laugh!

Lurked for a few months, couldn't believe no-one had the SLF moniker...

ceebs
17th Aug 2001, 21:59
Nice bloke from JMC told me about while on a course in Toulouse. Life has not been the same since,dammit!

KeithAlexander
18th Aug 2001, 16:39
somebody on my flying scholarship told me about it, kept on getting the adress wrong and ended up at the sunsweet.com website, anyway after days of head scratching i eventually found the site and realised that my iq was around 5 for having taken so long to find it

Self Loading Freight
18th Aug 2001, 18:41
I knew I'd forgotten something...

R

Pom Pax
19th Aug 2001, 12:43
Link from "The Daily Telegraph" in a report on the Leeds United fire at Stansted.
Then months before I dared to register and say something in such learned company.

swashplate
20th Aug 2001, 13:05
Beat y'to it mate!!
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=004312

G SXTY
20th Aug 2001, 18:04
In the Guardian of all places, listed as ‘Website of the week' . . .

flyblue
21st Aug 2001, 02:22
I heard from a friend of mine and went searching for it.

Flyingcircus.
21st Aug 2001, 17:38
PPRuNe is a feature of the office of the flying school where I work.

Fil
21st Aug 2001, 18:25
Told about all the helpful wannabe info during a break at my BA final board...damn too late!

dingducky
21st Aug 2001, 18:51
i was told about it by a pilot i was chatting to on icq :D
i checked it out and was very quickly addicted :p

the funky munky
22nd Aug 2001, 01:43
Found about the site from people at work who said that our Aircraft was being disrespected on the net. Became a long term viewer then recent contributee, don't like to say too much as I'm an Engineer.
Nuff respect to aircrew, you strap those cabs to your back for very little credit.

Captain-Ireland
22nd Aug 2001, 02:35
Was up visiting the flight deck on a turbo prop from BHD to MAN. Chatting with the FO about becoming a pilot. He called me back when we landed and give me the address.. Thanks Mate!!!

Happy Flying

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: Captain-Ireland ]

rsoman
22nd Aug 2001, 15:12
Same like that of Kermie
Some one told me abt an year back but only recently tried it out.
No regrets
tk