PDA

View Full Version : RAF selection

low n' slow
28th May 2001, 16:21
Hey all. Just wondering about the RAF selection procedure. These might be some odd questions but can I, being half swedish and half english apply to the RAF. Do I need previous experience of being with the forces in some way ( here in sweden all men above 18 are called to be evaluated by the forces so as to see what they would be fit for in case of war. Thereafter they are assigned to serve up to 15 months with either the navy, army or airforce. To apply for the Swedish Air Force this experience is needed to qualify.) ?
regards/LnS

Lucifer
28th May 2001, 18:27
No you don't need previous experience: we don't have national service any more and haven't had for a very long time. Cadets etc just helps with knowledge etc.

Dan Winterland
28th May 2001, 23:01
You should be OK. I know of quite a few RAF pilots who have much more tenuous nationality links than being half British. The only thing you will need is a good commannd of spoken and written English, but as most Swedes i know speak perfect English anyway, I suspect that this will not be a problem.

The RAF Flight Safety magazine recently ran a series of articles on the Swedish Air Force. It seems a pretty cool and unstresed outfit with some great kit. Why do you want to join the RAF? (I'm not trying to put you off the RAF - I've been in 17 years and have had a ball).

Whatever your choice, good luck.

PS. The RAF flying training system copied a lot of ideas from the wedish Air Force in the late eighties.

low n' slow
29th May 2001, 11:14
I've had plans to move to england as soon as I'm done with my CPL here in sweden.
The main reason for not wanting to apply to the Swedish AF is that they've been forced to cut back on a lot of things, personnel mostly but they've also been forced to close quite a few aerodromes around sweden. And the chances of flying a JAS 39 Gripen (the "would-be" backbone of the swedish AF) are quite slim as these will shortly be locked up and made ready for a conflict, if there ever will be one...
I would rather be in an AF that actually operates their A/C and doesn't have them sitting in hangers all day long!
Thanx for your answers, now I know a bit more!
cheers/lns