PDA

View Full Version : Retirement age for pilots

ad astra
28th May 2001, 03:57
Is there a legal requirement for professional pilots to retire by a certain age?

JB007
28th May 2001, 12:25
That delightful cure for in-somnia called Air Law states :

Aged 60-64
Commercial Transport only if:
- Multi-Crew
- Only 1 crew member has reached 60

Aged 65
Cannot act as a Pilot of an A/c in Commercial Air Transport.

This is JAR stuff....not sure about the FAA etc etc

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

ad astra
28th May 2001, 23:49
Thanks for that, I might still have a few years left then if I start now (age 35).

DobbinD
29th May 2001, 07:21
BA at 55. And for those who have then retired on very good pensions please don't then try to take other flying jobs that should go to younger, and just as capable, people.

Checkboard
29th May 2001, 10:08
Australia used to have mandatory retirement at age 60, until it was challenged uner equal opportunity legislation about five years ago.

Now pilots may fly until they either fail a check or a medical. Pilot medicals in this age group are six monthly, instead of annually.

We now have several "over 60" Captains in our airline, although they cannot fly in command in many overseas airspaces (like Indonesia).

exeng
29th May 2001, 19:55
DobbinD,

I'm aware that this is an old chestnut, but could you explain why flt crew who have retired at 55 (From BA or whatever) should then never seek flying work elsewhere? I can understand why younger pilots might not wish to have to compete with older more experienced pilots for obvious reasons.

In this soon to be non-ageist society (Law by 2006) older people will have the right to work (and seek work) without fear of discrimination. Do you agree with this Dobbin? After all age discrimination is no different in principle than any other form of discrimination, or is it?

Incidentally as BA will be affected by this legislation it is likely that the compulsory retirement age of 55 will have to go. As this might coincide with the forecast severe shortage of pilots then this may be no bad thing for the airline.

Regards
Exeng