PDA

View Full Version : VFR OTT- Is it worthwhile?

Squawk 8888
17th Jan 2001, 22:55
I'm a low-time PPL looking for new challenges. I'm working on my night endorsement now and I'm considering a VFR over-the-top rating next. I'm not planning to fly professionally, nor am I interested in IMC. Any thoughts?

Code Blue
18th Jan 2001, 03:36
I did night then VFR OTT. The extra instrument was worth it at the time. I had a couple of inadvertent blunders into cloud in dark night VMC and the extra practice with the scan certainly helped.

In terms of utility on x/c I have not found it a great deal of help. On the East Coast/NF its either all clear or all cloudy :)

Happy Flying

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-

Puritan
18th Jan 2001, 12:32
Imho you're crazy.

I'll imagine that you’re in an a/c with only a single vacuum pump providing the suck that keeps the Attitude Indicator vertical ?
Well, and if so, could you please explain how you plan get down through the cloud (and right way up) should it just happen to go quite at the pointy end ?! (ever heard of Sods law) – to say nothing of how you get to ‘on top’ in the first place.

Now years and years ago (back in the mid to late 80’s – when I was training in the USA) I seem to recall that, unless you’re instrument rated, that it was probably illegal to accept a “VFR conditions on top” clearance – because you ultimately may not be able to comply with it due to the weather, or limitations of your a/c.
Now I’m sure that somebody a lot more up-to-date with the FARs than I (and I'll bet they've changed a lot, since I was au fait with them) will be able to elaborate further.

..........but the bottom line is that ‘is it good sense ?’, e.g. try asking that Kennedy chap – oh that’s right, you can’t can you.... coz he’s dead ! i.e. a classic example of somebody trying to fly VFR in (marginal) IFR conditions – it’s a killer guys, it really is !

So Squawk, if you want a challenge, and imho, go get an IR.

Ps. For us here in Europe - "VFR over-the-top" means the operation of an aircraft over-the-top of cloud under VFR and when it is not being operated on an IFR flight plan (coz then it’s known as "IFR over-the-top", which means the operation of an aircraft over-the-top on an IFR flight plan when cleared by air traffic control to maintain "VFR conditions" or "VFR conditions on top")

Code Blue
18th Jan 2001, 22:51
Puritan:

With regard to instrument failure, you make a reasonable case for dual vacuum pumps/alt AI equipment.

The Canadian Regs (AIP RAC 2.7.4) stipulate for VFR OTT:

*Day only and during cruise
*vertical sep of 1000' from cloud
*if between cloud layers those must be 5000' apart
*flight vis at cruise of 5 miles or more
destination weather SKC/SCT, vis >/= 5 miles with no forecast precip, TS, FG or SN
and they must be forecast for 1hr before and 2h after ETA (if TAF). Alternatively 1h before to 3 after if an area forecast.

I think the regs cover the matter of 'getting up there'. Part of the requirement for VFR OTT here is partial panel training, which I would suggest needs regular practice to use reliably.

It's like anything else - if you're not happy with it don't do it.

Keep the Blue side up ;)

------------------
-.-- --.- -..-

Squawk 8888
18th Jan 2001, 22:58
Blueguy, got to agree the extra instrument time would be valuable. Most PPLs I know do the initial 5 hours for the licence and nothing more, IMHO we should all do some hood time on a regular basis- not so we can go through bad vis but to get back out of it. It probably wouldn't have helped JFK stay blue side up but maybe the extra dual flying would have helped his decision-making.

Puritan, VFR OTT means the same thing here in Canada- allows flight over cloud or between cloud layers, but not through cloud. The training is 15 hours total instrument time, including some partial panel.