PDA

View Full Version : Flaps Podcast - September 2011 - Blur's Alex James, Manuel Queiroz, the LAA...

FlapsPodcast
9th Sep 2011, 17:24
The latest edition of Flaps Podcast is now available. We're really pleased at the feedback this one's been getting in the past few days. :)

As last weekend saw the Light Aircraft Association rally at Sywell, it seems to be the perfect time for us to look into the world of home- and amateur-built aircraft. In this edition we speak to Roger Hopkinson, chairman of the LAA.

We also chat to Manuel Queiroz, who flew around the world in his single-engined RV6. It was, as he describes it, “the ultimate cross-country flight”.

Our Celebrity Pilot is Alex James, the Blur bassist and now also a farmer and cheese maker. He tells us of his love of cheese and tomato ketchup sandwiches, and how although flying possibly saved his life (from rock and roll excess) on one occasion it nearly cost him it.

Finally, Pablo Mason shares his experiences of helicopter flying – which is something like 2,500 hours.

It's at flapspodcast.com (http://www.flapspodcast.com/2011/09/flaps-podcast-september-2011/) and is on iTunes too.

Soon we’ll release a longer version of our chat with Manuel on Flaps Extended.

0.00 Introduction
1.16 We speak to Alex James from Blur about cheese-making and flying.
11.09 Manuel Queiroz flew an RV6 around the world: we find out how and why.
21.00 Pablo Mason talks about his time flying helicopters and how it compares to fixed-wing flying.
25.48 We hear about the Light Aircraft Association from its chairman, Roger Hopkinson.
34.29 Wrap up this edition.

kflyertalk
10th Sep 2011, 17:32
Love the podcast, but on my iTunes you're my only podcast with an empty "release date." on my "newest podcasts" playlist FLAPS is last :-(

FlapsPodcast
13th Sep 2011, 19:43
Ok, I've uploaded the longer interview with round-the-world pilot Manuel Queiroz (http://www.flapspodcast.com/2011/09/flaps-extended-manuel/) as a Flaps Extended on our site. It's also live on iTunes. If anyone deserves listening to it's a man who flew around the world in an RV6!

This one is about twice the length of the version in the main podcast.

While I'm writing, I'll tell you about a few 'behind the scenes' things I've done today that we've had some direct feedback about in the past few weeks.

I've put everything onto iTunes: previously not all Extendeds were there.

I found a problem with our iTunes configuration. All of our podcasts should appear now by order of publication. (Thanks to kflyertalk above for reminding me about this!)

I was playing on an ipad yesterday and realised how lack of Flash-based content effects what Apple users see. Our site players are Flash-based and I've therefore added some direct-download links on the main Flaps Extended page.

And I've had complaints that the Concorde Extended on Soundcloud doesn't offer an MP3 download. That's a technical faux-pas by me. I don't think I can remedy it without losing lots of behind-the-scenes stuff so I've put a link there to an MP3 version.

The500man
14th Sep 2011, 19:56
Thanks Flaps guys! I listenened to the latest one yesterday... It's actually quite entertaining, so I downloaded all the other podcasts from iTunes and listened to a few of them today. Some really good stuff. Looking forward to more, keep 'em coming!