PDA

View Full Version : Are we happy campers??

TikkiRo
16th Jan 2001, 20:29
Sitting today in an airport waiting for a friend to arrive, I watched the inbound and outbound flights and pilots filling in all the reams of flight papers etc, and got to wondering - how many of you truly enjoy your job?? I mean - the sort of enjoyment where you can't wait to get to work each day? Is it possible, with flying as with driving, that you yourself are on autopilot - to heck with the plane?? I know there is the added company, but surely you must get to a stage, where you just don't want to know about your next sector?? I think you have to have the worst job in respect of the fact that you don't have decent cockpit facilities - the space is ridiculous as are the seats on certain carriers - I was appalled on viewing the cockpit of a fairly new B-777 over a year ago, and discovering uncomfortable metal seats with tatty sheepskin covers. Surely not conducive to your comfort - or is the aim to prevent you from getting comfortable?? Would those of you who fly international routes ever consider going back to domestic - and I don't mean from a paycut point- more from the actual flying experience? Do you consider your job to be just that now, and you have no requirements to upgrade to a different service/position because where you're at suits you from a location point of view? Are you all very financially motivated, despite the high pay packets (some of) you receive - you want more? Just curious. I suppose basically what I'm trying to ascertain is "Is it as good a job as we pax think it is??" or is it like so many - over hyped and the reality way different to the perception??