PDA

View Full Version : Applying to DFS from UK

Tricks145
8th Sep 2011, 17:22
Hello everyone,

I've been a silent reader for some time now, but as I'm beginning the application process to several ATC providers in Europe I thought I'd register myself here.;)

I've got a question regarding the German ATC provider DFS (Deutsche Flugsicherung):

Has anyone from the UK applied for a trainee position there? The reason I'm asking is because the DFS wants a letter from the UK consulate confirming that no military service has to be performed. It's silly I know, but they still want this letter.

Anyway, I contacted the embassy in Berlin but they told me that they cannot provide me with such a letter. :confused:

I'm a bit lost now... I don't know what to do. Did anyone else have this problem? It'd be pretty sad if my application failed because of this...

chevvron
8th Sep 2011, 19:42
As far as I'm aware, embassies and consulates are not necessarily the same. There may well be a UK Consulate in Berlin or another major city.

Spitoon
8th Sep 2011, 20:03
Why not start closer to home and get in touch with the FCO in London and see if they can give you a letter or whatever?

I can't imagine that DFS will insist on a letter from a Consulate they just want something official that says you won't suddenly get called back to the UK to wear a uniform. FWIW, there are 9 Consulates of different types in Germany along with one Embassy.

alwaysmovin
8th Sep 2011, 20:30
Why don't you just get a letter from the uk directly....I'm sure this is what they are after.......

Just wait till you have to fill out the forms for your security clearance.....now that is a pain ;-)

Tricks145
8th Sep 2011, 20:45
Oh sorry, should have made that clear. I contacted the consular section of the embassy. They contacted the Foreign Office in the UK who basically told them that they won't be able to provide this letter. The embassy advised me to contact a UK Notary Public and ask them, but that will be bloody expensive. :rolleyes: The notary fees are out of control here...

I could call the other two consulates (one in Dusseldorf and the other one in Munich) but I doubt their replies will be any different.

Oh well, I'll contact the FCO myself. Might get lucky.

chemi
9th Sep 2011, 17:39
One single question that has nothing to do with the topic: You need to speak German to apply, don't you?

Sorry for the off-topic!

Tricks145
14th Sep 2011, 14:56
@chemi

Yes, speaking German is a requirement.