PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 Smoke in Cockpit

DeltaRomeo007
7th Sep 2011, 19:29
Heard Channex declare mayday earlier today due smoke in the cockpit. Emergency descent requested from FL390 to FL100. Last known position was 'BELGI' and controller offered TSL (Thessaloniki) as nearest commercial airfield on request of one of the mayday pilots.

Could clearly hear they were using masks. Not seen any news so thank God, all seems to have ended without serious incident or injury.

YYZ_Instructor
13th Sep 2011, 02:20
Landed LGKV, all went well. Another aircraft picked up the
pax the following day. I believe destination was LCLK, not
100% on that.

Captain-Random
15th Sep 2011, 12:55
Holiday jet forced into emergency nosedive after smoke appeared in the cockpit | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2037673/Holiday-jet-forced-emergency-nosedive-smoke-appeared-cockpit.html)

But what more could you expect from the DM:ugh:

JEM60
15th Sep 2011, 13:43
Whilst I don't like the DM, the original poster said that an emergency descent was requested, and that the DM said it was an emergency nose-dive. Is there that much difference?

OvertHawk
15th Sep 2011, 16:01
JEM60

Tell you what - go to the top of your staircase then "descend". Go back up again and "nose dive" this time.

Then tell me if there is a difference.

:ugh:

El Grifo
15th Sep 2011, 16:25
Love it :D :D :D :D

The_Steed
15th Sep 2011, 16:28
Would you expect anything different from a rag like the Daily Mail?

But to be fair to them, which one of these stories would your man in the street read?

"Jet2 Flight Nosedives - Passengers Scream in Terror"

or

"Jet2 Flight Carries Out Emergency Descent"

westhawk
15th Sep 2011, 17:17
"Jet2 Flight Nosedives - Passengers Scream in Terror"That's my choice!

It would go better with "Lawsuit filed on behalf or terror stricken Jet2 passengers" :D

Piltdown Man
15th Sep 2011, 19:42
A tail dive or even a tail plummet would have been scarier.

mm43
15th Sep 2011, 20:08
Looks like the DM have now 'pulled' the article.

JEM60
15th Sep 2011, 20:42
OH. Take your point. As an ex sky diver I probably prefer the nose dive, but nose dive sells more papers, I guess. Emergency descent request wouldn't sell any.:)

Pace
15th Sep 2011, 20:54
Not a very pleasant experience! Had a smoke filled cockpit leaving London at night in a corporate jet. Half way across the channel smoke started pouring out of the airvents.
Thick accrid smoke which was choking and dense. Emergency descent back to Biggin Hill.
The culprit was a fan motor in the air duct system.
Scared the life out of the PAX and ruined my shirt which stank of burning plastic.
Well done to the crew as not a pleasant experience.

Pace