PDA

View Full Version : ADF intercepts???

LTP
16th Jan 2001, 08:06
Hi everyone.

I was hoping if someone could help me in working out what is the best way to do ADF intercepts.
I've read few IFR books that shows how to do it on paper, but is there any other way? Because, i'm just having a play in my FS 2000.

Thanking everyone ahead.

olivasnooze
16th Jan 2001, 08:11
Turn to make the head fall to the desired intercept. ie inbound.
Turn to make the tail rise to the desired track. ie outbound.

mustafagander
17th Jan 2001, 14:23
LTP,
I've always used 3 basic rules for ADF work.
1/ The head of the needle is firmly attached to the station.
2/ The centre pivot of the needle is firmly attached to the aircraft.
3/ All you can ever do is drag the tail of the needle around the dial.
After you think it through the concept of ADF tracking and backtracking becomes a lot easier to visualise.

LTP
17th Jan 2001, 15:21
Hi

Thaks every one...

One thing i notice that is hard is the visualisation part.
i guess it take time.....

LosThePlot

AYLGR
17th Jan 2001, 17:47
This topic is such a difficult one to visualise which is why flight schools all have those little cardboard cut out ADF pointers.
Once you`ve mastered it, you`ll wish the compass disc rotated to always show actual heading - hey bingo - an RMI !

Bob

Tinstaafl
21st Jan 2001, 19:37
A rule based method:

1. Steer the desired track from or to the NDB as a heading

For OUTBOUND intercepts & tracking:

2. If the head of the ADF needle is to the LEFT of the 180 mark ie the tail of the aircraft - turn LEFT

If the head of the ADF is to the RIGHT of the 180 mark - turn RIGHT

The more you turn (up to 90 deg) the sooner you will intercept the required track from the NDB.

Note: If there is a crosswind from the direction you turn then until you turn more than the amount that would be required just for drift you won't close on the desired track.

3. On the direction indicator (DI) count how many degrees there is between your current heading & the desired track.

4. Wait for the head of the needle to fall this many degrees displaced from the 180 mark

5. You have now intercepted the desired track so don't forget to turn on to it!

All done correctly, the head of the ADF needle will be on the 180 mark

INBOUND

2. If the head of the needle is to the LEFT of the 0 mark ie the nose of the aircraft - turn LEFT

If the head of the needle is to the RIGHT of the 0 mark - turn RIGHT

***You will need to turn enough to make the head of the needle CROSS the 0 mark ie cross the nose of the aircraft***

Note: To confirm that an inbound intercept has been set up the ADF needle should be on the 'opposite' side of the nose when compared to the HDG / required track.

eg: If the heading for this intercept is to the LEFT of the required track, then the ADF should be to the RIGHT of the nose

3. On the DI count how many degrees there are between the heading & the desired track.

4. Wait for the head of the needle to fall this many degrees displaced from the 0 mark

5. You have now intercepted the desired track so don't forget to turn on to it! The head of the needle will then be on the 0 mark.

There are other methods but this was the easiest method to explain without diagrams or training aids!

Hope this helps.

T

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 21 January 2001).]

411A
22nd Jan 2001, 00:33
LTP--
'Tis not easy, but then the 4-course LF radio range orientation was not easy either.
Fortunately for the "junior chaps" many operators with glass do not allow ADF/NDB approaches. Sad, as it is a very confidence-building approach when performed properly.

LTP
22nd Jan 2001, 07:07
First of all i just like to say thank you very much to everyone i didn't think i'd get so much help full responses.

Tinstaafl,
Thanks,

Basically is fair to say you just chace the ADF needle?

Say Eg, if want to intercept 150 deeg indound and A/C hdg is 090 then i'll turn right on heading of 170 untill the ADF needle drops is that right??

LTP