PDA

View Full Version : accommodation with airfield on site?

rans6andrew
6th Sep 2011, 16:55
Can anyone recommend any farmstrips with B&B or vice versa.

We used one near to Wickenby (Grange Farm, it is on the chart and in Lockyears)) on Saturday night and it worked a treat. The aircraft was not left un-attended on an airfield, we didn't need a taxi to get to the accommodation and the breakfast was excellent. We walked into the village for an evening meal at the pub. Sorted.

There must be other such places, what do you know?

Rans6.....

Mariner9
6th Sep 2011, 17:51
If airfields with on-site/adjacent hotels will do, the ones that immediately come to mind are:

Glenforsa
Perth
Sywell
Kirkbride

Alternately, Skegness (and probably several more) have an adjacent caravan park ;)

Spit161
6th Sep 2011, 17:54
Alternately, Skegness (and probably several more) have an adjacent caravan park

Shobdon (EGBS) does.
It's fairly good from what I have heard.

Jake.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Sep 2011, 17:56
There used to be a hotel at Rochester, and may be to this day. A fair walk, though, outside the perimeter fence.

And there's a holiday park, with cottages for rent and what not, just across the street from Sedan/Douzy.

Caravan park at Wombleton, too.

BackPacker
6th Sep 2011, 17:56
Texel EHTX - hotel above the airport restaurant. Bike hire and whatnot. Lovely place.

Mechta
6th Sep 2011, 18:24
Despite what has recently been written about gliding clubs not welcoming power pilots, there are some that with prior arrangement will. Gliding clubs often have accomodation for people attending courses, and it isn't always full.

I recently stayed for four weeks at the Kent Gliding Club whilst working nearby. Apart from the first week in a tent, I was able to stay in one of the bedrooms adjoining the clubhouse for the rest of my stay.

The welcome, the facilities and the prices were all very much to my satisfaction. Although I didn't fly in, I enquired for a friend who may have wanted to, and the Chief Flying Instructor said it wouldn't be a problem with advance warning.

rans6andrew
6th Sep 2011, 21:14
I was thinking farm strips and B&B rather than acres of tarmac, miles of perimeter track and posh hotels. At Grange Farm it was just a few paces from the aircraft to the accommodation front door. The atmosphere was homely, the food good and the tariff very reasonable.

Rans6....

Jodelman
6th Sep 2011, 21:28
There used to be a hotel at Rochester, and may be to this day. A fair walk, though, outside the perimeter fence.

The hotel is still there but I wouldn't call a distance of a couple of hundred yards a "fair walk".

Slopey
7th Sep 2011, 03:29
If airfields with on-site/adjacent hotels will do, the ones that immediately come to mind are:

Glenforsa
Fife

Where's the on-site/adjacent hotel to Fife Airport? There's the Tipsy Nipper restaurant, and aside from the Golf Club at the end of the road, anything else would likely be a taxi away?

p1andy
7th Sep 2011, 06:55
The hotel at glenforsa is about 100 yards from the grass strip. £90 for the room there.

Oban has the Lochnell Arms about a 5-8minute walk from the airfield. Nice place and room was £45 there for the night.

Mariner9
7th Sep 2011, 11:04
Where's the on-site/adjacent hotel to Fife Airport?

Bu88er, its 16 miles away in Perth :O Original post amended thanks:ok:

dont overfil
7th Sep 2011, 11:58
Skylodge hotel is on site at Perth Airport. There is a grass runway.
At Fife I cannot remember the name of the guest house. It is not far and they will collect. Fife is tar but is very picturesque.
D.O.

rans6andrew
7th Sep 2011, 14:45
it's kinda like this. Most times we go flying we visit Airfields. Some of them are quite pleasant, some are bit functional, some are like an old style bus station on a bleak Sunday evening, but they are still airfields. Not high on the must visit list for Er Indoors. However, when we arrived at our B&B on Saturday evening it was not like going to an airfield, more the sort of place you might choose for a romantic weekend away. Sort of homely, peaceful, no hangars to be checked for contents (well you do have to see what aircraft the locals have at airfields, don't you?), no epaulettes, no booking in, no landing fees. Just a good opportunity to earn brownie points and do some flying.

Rans6......

Tinstaafl
7th Sep 2011, 15:37
You'd probably like Chalette Suzanne, in central Florida. Rather far from your stamping grounds but the same sort of thing. I kick out skydivers there in my spare time.

Molemot
7th Sep 2011, 15:53
Years back, used to bimble up to Great Massingham in the Airtourer. No fuel for aircraft, but it's only a short stroll to the village from where you park the aeroplane and there are pubs and B&Bs....used to do aeros over the airfield until we got The Word....

Great Massingham Airfield (http://ukga.com/airfield/great-massingham)

EddieHeli
7th Sep 2011, 19:35
Breighton is really nice for a summer weekend. Nice stuff in the Hangars to look at, and a 1 minute walk to the village B&B at the Manor house. Also a restaurant a few minutes walk along the river bank.

ChampChump
7th Sep 2011, 20:14
Maypole in Kent has accommodation on field by arrangement (caravan, fancy tent although the latter may not be available now). Lots to visit hereabouts, apart from the cross-Channel options.

powerlimited
7th Sep 2011, 21:27
I know its not bang on the airfield but this became a nice suprise when I got weathered in at Fenland...

Stennetts Farm Cottages (http://www.stennettsfarmcottages.co.uk/)

The lady will pick you up from the airfield and vice versa.

ronturner
8th Sep 2011, 06:42
If you want to come to the west of France there is accommodation at our private airfield

J.A.F.O.
8th Sep 2011, 16:11
Andrew

I saw this earlier in the year but I've not had a chance to visit - looks like plenty of flying and plenty of brownie points, all rolled into one.

Self Catering Holiday Cottage in Central Scotland On An Organic Farm (http://www.stonehillcottage.co.uk/)

POBJOY
9th Sep 2011, 20:57
Bolt Head (Devon) walk to NT hostel,or camp site.
Perranporth several B&B and Hotels, camp.
Bodmin B&B or Camp
Eaglescott Camp B&B
Farway Common (Devon) walk B&B
Scilly Isles
Bembridge
Sandown
Sywell, superb service and Hotel.
Lydd local B&B
Old Sarum local B&B
Compton Abbas B&B
Dublin Airport (slept in large cupboard)
Thats enough for now good luck
PP
PS Any French club field with good restaurant.

irish seaplane
9th Sep 2011, 22:44
Lane Farm in Wales is an excellent example of what you're looking for. It was recommended to me by qdmqdmqdm and was a great find. I've also found the horse and hound hotel in Eggesford good, and Bolt Head has an adjacent hotel also.

All grass, no drama. Ireland is a paradise for that sort of thing. Can suggest my book "Aviators Guide to Ireland" and will put you in the right direction for places such as Enniskean with fishing/accomodation onsite.

Er indoors prob the most important factor in all flight planning :ouch:

Irish

macsharon
10th Sep 2011, 13:08
Strathaven Airfield have a static caravan that they let out. There's also a farm-strip near Inverness, at Knockbain Farm, just outside Dingwall that does B&B.

FREDAcheck
10th Sep 2011, 13:23
The hotel at glenforsa is about 100 yards from the grass strip. £90 for the room there.
I suppose it depends from which end of the runway you start walking:).

Last time I was there, I parked the plane about 20 yards from the hotel gate. Most hotel car parks involve more walking than that.

Curlytips
10th Sep 2011, 20:29
Two mentions already, but worth repeating. The Holiday Inn is 200 yards away from parking and the tower will give you a reference to quote so that you get the special rate of £65 per room, B & B. Lots to see and do at Rochester too. Nice people!

jcharlton
21st Feb 2012, 20:03
there is a good little cottage at Sheepwash airfield in North Devon Westover Farm Sheepwash (http://www.westover-sheepwash.co.uk) Good welcome and 2 pubs with good food etc within 1000 yard walk. John

chevvron
22nd Feb 2012, 00:42
Strathallan/Auchterarder (if it still exists) was always advertised as 'serving the Gleneagles Hotel' which in turn served the Gleneagles golf course, both these latter being pretty upmarket!

avturboy
22nd Feb 2012, 01:43
Caernarfon; there is a caravan site 2-300yds away (Morfa Lodge), just under short finals for 26!

mary meagher
22nd Feb 2012, 07:00
Definitely recommend a trip round Ireland, both north and south! They are terribly glad to see you, B&B's abound. Especially recommend Newtownard and Sligo....

Don't know if you still have to file a plan with the fuzz before departure....

dont overfil
22nd Feb 2012, 10:23
Strathallan certainly still exists and is operated by a busy parachute club.

I would not reckon that Gleneagles or Auchterarder are walking distance however, I'm sure Gleneagles would collect.

Portmoak gliding club has accommodation on site which they use for residential courses. If they are full the Well Inn at Scotlandwell is just over a mile.

D.O.

RedsBluesGreens
22nd Feb 2012, 11:09
A Holiday Inn is being built at Southend EGMC and due to open soon. With a restaurant overlooking the airfield you'll be able to keep an eye on your baby and enjoy everything that wonderful Southend has to offer...ahem.:rolleyes:

A and C
22nd Feb 2012, 16:41
Membury has a hotel in the Motorway services next to the airfield.

whirlwind
23rd Feb 2012, 02:53
www.felthorpe.net near Norwich. One of the pilots there has a B&B - see the links page.

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Feb 2012, 05:44
Any French club field with good restaurant.

The resto at Le Touquet is quite good though not cheap, but you wouldn't call that a "club field" perhaps?
Saint Omer used to be good too, but I've not been there for several years.
And not in France but a real club airfield with a very good restaurant is Keiheuvel EBKH.

frangatang
23rd Feb 2012, 06:37
Cherbourg for the restaurant and wine if you want to take some home, run by Luke and Edith. They can even sort a car for you(Avis?), 12 Euro landing fee.

FlyingLapinou
23rd Feb 2012, 07:07
There's a very nice iPhone app available for planning VFR flights in France, which includes a directory of over 200 airfield restaurants... :ok: It costs a couple of euros, I think.

See Flying in France (http://www.flying-in-france.com/)