PDA

View Full Version : Differences Training - Sign Off.

italianjon
6th Sep 2011, 13:16
Caveat - Possibly more stupid questions! :D

Hi All,

So I am still looking into my flying holiday with friends somewhere on this green and blue rock.

Would love some opinion on Differences Training... When I did my PPL, I did a few hours in a Slingsby with a wobbly prop on in.

It was signed off by the instructor, but not in the format of LASORS. But does contain VP Prop, his number and signature.

Given that I would not dream of flying a machine solo until both I and the person who owned it was happy, then my question is does anyone know if the signature would be sufficient from an academic licence perspective.

In other words, if I do a number of hours on a wobbly prop until I and the renter are happy for me to fly it, will the info in my licence make me legal?

Reason for asking, if we end up in the US, not only would any FAA instructor (who does not know this) wonder what I was talking about, but also if I need to get trained then from what I understand that requires a Visa and I would be unable to use VWP!

Cheers

J

P.S. was comparing airspace classifications and restrictions with a friend from the US the other day and I showed him our one.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/200890108ATSAirspaceClassificationV3.pdf

Is it me, or does the Class G one imply that VFR on Top is allowed, it does not say in sight of surface above 3000ft.... ?

P.P.S. I am not going to do it, so just purely an observation.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2011, 13:50
Differences details, signature, licence number are all that should be required for confirmation of differences training.

There is however a recommendation in LASORS for a refresher if you've not used differences training within 2 years. It would be prudent to have done so - an insurer may otherwise regard you as not having been sufficiently professional in the approach to your flying.

For an FAA derivative licence, the locals seem perfectly happy in my experience to have the UK/JAA system explained to them, and so long as you're qualified at home, they are content that you are qualified in the USA.

VFR on top is permitted in UK airspace. However, it may not be permitted on your licence. A UK issued "vanilla" JAR PPL or CPL holder cannot fly VFR on top, but an IMC or IR holder can.

G

italianjon
6th Sep 2011, 14:47
Thanks Genghis,

I was aware of the VFR on top thing, I just remember something mentioned about the restrictions in a previous version of that chart...

Anyway, thanks for the info on the Differences.

I would not have flown without feeling I knew what I was doing, but to play it safe I will try to find some time to do some VP Training before I go if we choose the US, as I really don't like the look of the Visa Process if it can be avoided.

Best Regards

J

P.S. We actually met once, at Popham, where I saw the Mighty Thruster, how is it going?

rasti121
6th Sep 2011, 15:25
VFR on top is permitted in UK airspace. However, it may not be permitted on your licence. A UK issued "vanilla" JAR PPL or CPL holder cannot fly VFR on top, but an IMC or IR holder can.Can you please point out where "VFR on the top" is requireing IMCR/IR? As far as I understand it (and the attached picture shows it) the "in sight of surface" is only valid if under 3000 feet and clear of clouds. The other option ("or" from the attached picture) is 5km vis, 1000 feet vertical and 1500 m horizontal from clouds (no surface in sight mentioned here) for VFR flights (i.e. no IMCR/IR needed) - all under FL100. I'm reasonably confident this is also the case in other JAA/EASA countries (where IMCR doesn't exist).

Anonystude
6th Sep 2011, 15:31
UK ANO Schedule 7:

Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes)
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the holder of a Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is entitled to fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane of any of the types or classes specified or otherwise falling within an aircraft rating included in the licence.
(2) The holder may not:
(c) unless the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane:
(iii) out of sight of the surface;

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2011, 16:00
P.S. We actually met once, at Popham, where I saw the Mighty Thruster, how is it going?

Going well with me, but sadly not with the Thruster which we've just declared beyond economic repair on its annual. It's about to go on eBay for spares.

G

rasti121
7th Sep 2011, 07:40
Thanks for the info.