PDA

View Full Version : TG 916 Yesterday

Will Hung
6th Sep 2011, 09:11
Last night I was on the above, we were nicely established on finals, and we did a go-around. The Captain gave a brief explanation that I didn't understand.

Can anyone tell me the reason ?

Just out of interest, nothing else. I know this is nothing whatsoever unusual, like I say, just out of interest.

Ta

Bright-Ling
6th Sep 2011, 10:11
I assume you were pax, not the FO then.....??

What did the flight deck say then? maybe someone can decipher it.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Sep 2011, 10:35
If you didn't hang around long after the go-around there was likely nothing wrong with the aeroplane..... probably the one ahead slow to clear the runway, which is often the reason.

NigelOnDraft
6th Sep 2011, 14:06
The briefer the explanation, the more likely the problem was up front ;) Easiest to blame ATC whatever, but occasionally we get found out using that line :oh:

NoD

autothrottle
6th Sep 2011, 16:38
Told to maintain 160 to 4 but kept speed at close to 200, rapidly catching preceding traffic . Told to go around , continued decent until asked if going around as instructed, where upon go around initiated.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Sep 2011, 17:44
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain. We're going around because I've made a right cock-up....."

fireflybob
6th Sep 2011, 17:55
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain. We're going around because I've made a right cock-up....."

On the other hand I would be far more worried if a crew continued an approach which wasn't correctly stable by the required "gate".

The person who has never made a mistake never makes anything and there can be many factors which can conspire to occasionally cause a Go Around.

In the company I work for there is a "no blame" policy for Go Arounds which is the way it should be.

Will Hung
7th Sep 2011, 08:20
Thanks autothrottle. Very informative. Interesting that the ground speed indicated on the cabin display was bang on 160. Firefly, agree 100% with the no-blame culture.

Ta

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2011, 08:30
You say cabin info said 160kts but autothrottle said he was doing 200.....

twentypoint4
7th Sep 2011, 08:35
GROUNDSPEED of 160kts. The London airports yesterday afternoon were enjoying 3000ft winds of about 40-50 knots down the runway. Therefore the aircraft in front of you would most likely of been flying a groundspeed of 120kts!

autothrottle
7th Sep 2011, 09:21
correct Rice

Flybywyre
7th Sep 2011, 09:50
Groundspeed ?

Are Approach speeds such as 160 to 4 not based on IAS anymore ?

twentypoint4
7th Sep 2011, 10:25
Yes they are, 160kts IAS to 4 dme (see other recent thread). However the original poster said the info screen on the plane showed the aircraft flying a ground speed of 160 kts. Autothrottle mentioned the reason for the go-around was because the aircraft was still flying around 200kts IAS (with 40 knot headwind = 160 kts ground speed) with the preceding aircraft probably adhering to the 160kts IAS instruction (approx 120kts ground speed).

rich_g85
7th Sep 2011, 12:29
autothrottle, a question if I may? In this situation is the standard go around instruction still issued? (Go around, I say again go around, acknowledge) or is more of a "this isn't going to work, would you mind going around?"

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2011, 12:49
<<would you mind going around>>

Hahahahaha!! ATC give instructions..

reportyourlevel
7th Sep 2011, 16:58
HEATHROW DIRECTOR <<would you mind going around>>

Hahahahaha!! ATC give instructions..

You sound like one of my early OJTIs: "This is air traffic control boy, not air traffic ask very politely!"

Spitoon
7th Sep 2011, 17:31
"this isn't going to work, would you mind going around?"If you do choose this approach I believe the correct phraseology is, in fact, "this isn't going to work, I say, would you mind awfully, going around?"

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Sep 2011, 17:43
Or as an ex-Heathrow colleague said: "I'm terribly sorry but GO-AROUND".

windowjob
7th Sep 2011, 18:34
Which got the reply "thank you, I could see we were catching him" (number 1 had slowed to walking pace)

Talkdownman
7th Sep 2011, 19:39
If you do choose this approach I believe the correct phraseology is, in fact, "this isn't going to work, I say, would you mind awfully, going around?"
...or, if cambioso had been on AIR ARR, ...."I say, would you mind awfully, going around, Old Boy?"

chiglet
7th Sep 2011, 21:57
...."I say, would you mind awfully, going around, Old Boy?"

Or as some of the ATCOs I used to work with would say
"Would you mind going around, young man/lady" ... couln't move for zimmer frames....when I left [I hear that a Stanner Stairlift is planned for the new tower at Manch :E ]

Brian 48nav
8th Sep 2011, 09:21
If you were 'doing a duty' for Jez,were you required to speak like him?

I'm still in need of a haircut, Malc, and its still brown.

BW