PDA

View Full Version : Jump pilot logging hours

Thomas1
6th Sep 2011, 07:49
Hi all,

Just had a quick question regarding logging Jump Pilot Hours.
I recently got a job as a Jump Pilot. I have been logging all the jump runs I do in a day as one flight. I.e:
If in one day I did three runs at

I would log it as one flight 1.4 hours long, with the description: "Parachute Ops".
Is this the best way to log these hours, or should I be logging them as individual flights? I have been told that both ways are correct, most jump pilots I talk to log them they way I do, as one long flight.

Also If I should be logging them as individual flights, what are the rules in terms of removing the previous entries I have made? Is it worth removing them? Bonus points If anyone can give references!

Thanks for your help!

PropDuster
7th Sep 2011, 00:57
Thomas

Don't worry either way is OK

I used to log everything for the day on one line of the logbook with the number of sorties in brackets i.e TL-TL PJE (x4) 2.1 (or whatever)

If you do choose to change the way you document things, I wouldn't bother amending your previous log book entries.

Have fun, it's awesome flying.

Prop :ok:

Jabawocky
7th Sep 2011, 03:44
And just because you and your meat bombs descend through cloud does not mean you can log 0.016 IF time each drop you do :=

Of course that is not you is it?
J:E

Going Nowhere
7th Sep 2011, 03:52
Shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure no one in RPT logs each sector as an individual line.

Not unless they're in a "I've got more logbooks than you" pissing contest! :ugh:

john_tullamarine
7th Sep 2011, 05:16
Of course that is not you is it?

I recall a story from years ago at Pakenham. Seems that three in form climbed through the cloud layer to height. Usual airways clearance .. "remain within 3 miles of the DZ".

Lead (ex-airline skipper - his aircraft had an ADF) then proceeded up and down for about 45 minutes waiting for a cloud break to come along. Periodically, Melbourne would say hello on the RT .. things like "report position" or "confirm you are within 3 miles of the DZ" to which lead would respond with imaginative fibs. ATC, chuckling away, was watching the thing unfold on radar .. did I mention that the wind was moderately strong at height ?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the inevitable hole came along .. ground didn't look all that familiar .. but, with an ADF, lead had us .. I mean, them ... right over the DZ, didn't he ?

Out they went, and down the aircraft went ... coming out of the overcast somewhere down near Latrobe Valley.

As I recall, the first jumper got back to the DZ about four hours later.

ATC kept mum on the whole shambles, as they were wont to do in those fondly remembered days.

.. and that's just one of the more innocent tales.

Those who get the opportunity to do a few hundred hours either/and jump/tug should grasp the opportunity. Great fun and a good learning experience.

Howard Hughes
7th Sep 2011, 05:36
ATC kept mum on the whole shambles, as they were wont to do in those fondly remembered days.
For better or worse, these days the ESIR would be on the CP's desk before the meatbombers hit the ground...:*

Jabawocky
7th Sep 2011, 06:41
Funny story JT :D

Mind you when you are in IMC in class G and BNE CEN gives you traffic on a VFR meat bomber letting down very close to you.......and you know its not true VMC, even if he is in a tiny hole.........its not that funny at all. :eek:

The ATC in the RHS with me at the time was stunned what he saw, well did not see actually, but you get my point! :uhoh:

john_tullamarine
7th Sep 2011, 07:07
its not that funny at all

The overcast was pretty low .. that led to my not being at all amused when I came out the bottom and eventually caught up with the fellow in the lead back at the DZ ... a bit further north and it might have not been at all fun .. mind you, I did steep turn down through the hole so most of the time I was descending with the ground in sight. However, the other two just barrelled on down through the layer without a care in the world it would seem.

This was long prior to Dick's airspace. Just OCTA and CTA.

We all were a tad stupid when we were young; full of testosterone and fearlessness. Part of the evolutionary genetic legacy I suppose.

Having had the experience in both jump and tug, subsequently I was always very cautious IFR near known sites. Indeed, at Pakenham on one occasion, I had a mate decide to formate on me from above and behind .. unfortunately his RT was U/S and I had no idea of his presence. In due course, in ignorance, I turned left just as he was coming up to join .. it wasn't until some minutes later than I figured out what the blur past my window had been. If he happens to be reading this, I'm sure he will recall the occasion ...

Hourbuilding
7th Sep 2011, 07:23
Where can I get a meat bombing endorsement?

Do I need to be para qualified, as I understand the pilots need to wear a chute in case of damage/disabled a/c.

85trx
7th Sep 2011, 09:07
Have a look at the APF website. Most drop zones can give you the required endorsement. The rules changed last year i believe you need 200hrs total time and either 70 or 100hrs pic and 10hrs on type even with a cpl

NNB
7th Sep 2011, 09:09
check out the APF web site and you will find a whole section dedicated to jump pilots.
to be any good, it's a demanding pursuit but it can be a lot of fun as well.
NNB

PyroTek
7th Sep 2011, 09:43
The rules changed last year i believe you need 200hrs total time and either 70 or 100hrs pic and 10hrs on type even with a cpl

Yeah it's 200hrs TT with 100hrs PIC with a PPL or CPL, unless you hold an APF D license, then the hours requirement is a bit more relaxed.

Lancair70
7th Sep 2011, 11:20
I just make one entry per day, PJE OPS at YXXX.

I find the really demanding part is the hours sitting around sometimes. Being told to be ready for 8am dept and then not have anyone ready until 8.45 or later. But thats skydive driving.
I have experienced pressure to go into conditions I know arent going to be legal, ultimately its up to the PIC, I dont give in to pressure anymore. I prefer to keep my licence first and stay alive 2nd. Most jump ships arent IFR and some are have barely VFR instruments.

Jaba, where was this at ?

Jabawocky
7th Sep 2011, 12:48
Lancair..........tough question, but lets just say I had planned from YCAB to a destination North via YBSU. The traffic advice was as I climbed towards the class C steps between departure and TOC, and from memory I was given DCT YHBA for some extra seperation should we both end up in C at the same time.

Its a bit fuzzy now as this was a year or so ago, but lets say the distance we had between us would have made us both very visible had I not been in solid cloud,:*. Like I say, the other a/c may have been visual, but no way was it VMC because we had a good look at what we climbed into a minute or so earlier.

The Gimp
7th Sep 2011, 12:53
Dude, just checked the logbook and all I had was "parachute drop o/h xxxx" for every day that I did it. About 2000hrs worth. Since I am now in an airline I assume that is all that is required.

As others before have said it is great flying. Remember though it is your licence. If asked to fly in conditions that you find uncomfortable, I find the best way is to be direct. Skydivers are simple folk. By that I don't mean stupid, just that all they want to do is jump. I found that by saying I'm not fu@#$ing flying in that because..... and you can all get f@@$$cked......... usually worked. I will also say I got pretty good on the GPS as well. :E

Enjoy.

Jack Ranga
7th Sep 2011, 13:08
And a lot of drop zones have cloud jumping manuals with IFR endorsed pilots in IFR category aircraft. And a lot of drop zones pretend they do!!

I reckon I must have been pretty lucky in my skydiving time, I never got pressured into operating in IMC, was always up to me.

hung start
7th Sep 2011, 13:37
Para ops and tug pilot some of the best fun i,ve had .demanding and accurate flying .I logged it as one flight a day with however many landings . I was lucky to do most of mine in a caravan upto 14000, 16000 ft wish i was young again .

Jabawocky
8th Sep 2011, 00:20
And a lot of drop zones have cloud jumping manuals with IFR endorsed pilots in IFR category aircraft. And a lot of drop zones pretend they do!!

I reckon I must have been pretty lucky in my skydiving time, I never got pressured into operating in IMC, was always up to me.

100% understood Jack :ok:..........problem was he was VFR TRAFFIC :suspect:

Jack Ranga
8th Sep 2011, 00:58
Yeah, I know mate!!

Hope you guys put in a report?

Jabawocky
8th Sep 2011, 03:02
We discussed it, but in Class G and in cloud, how could we prove or otherwise they were not in VMC. Even the ATC in the RHS seat said....what can you do?

"VMC is in the eye of the beholder"

dlx_xlb
31st Oct 2011, 14:40
Both is fine... Its more of a personal preference thing...

When I log... Whenever i get out of an aircraft I log a separate line..

JustJoinedToSearch
31st Oct 2011, 15:22
"VMC is in the eye of the beholder"

I read this about three times thinking you were talking about Velocity minimum control and being thoroughly confused as to how it was subjective:O.

Then I re-read the rest of the post.

A lesson in context.