PDA

View Full Version : Corfu Departure

Speedbird252
26th May 2001, 03:07
Evening! I flew in and out of Corfu this week as a pax on a Brittania flight using runway 35 - Im curious as to what the routine is for departures from runway 35? I just cant see a 763 taxing all the way down the runway and then trying to turn round in that little "turning circle" at the end of the runway!

I guess its easy when you know how.

The runway surface is a nightmare, why dont they sort it out? Is there a worse strip of tarmac?

Anyone........?

fireflybob
26th May 2001, 18:27
Don't fly the 767 so cannot comment but believe they have no problems with the turning circle.

Over the last twenty years the runway has always been the same - just like a switchback - I always used to warn the pax about it!

At the best of times an interesting airport!

------------------

Pielander
26th May 2001, 19:08
I've taxied to the end of runway 35 at Corfu in a 767 and then turned around in the little turning circle at the end (sadly, only as a pax!) so it can be done.

Pie

E. MORSE
26th May 2001, 23:05
Have seen it , did it , and got the T-shirt !

No sweat what so ever !

:)

E. MORSE
26th May 2001, 23:09
By the way :

On occasion RWY 17 is in use , meaning :
traffic on the public road at the beginning of the threshold (but not on the airport though) will be halted by ................. A red traffic light !

Pielander
27th May 2001, 14:41
Of course, the people of Corfu are renowned for obeying traffic signals!

Pie

Smudge's Lot
28th May 2001, 00:21
The 767-300 does indeed have no problem turning around at the end of r/w 35 as the turning circle is more than addequate for the aircraft.The runway is one of the worst I have experienced, very bumpy and the biggest bump always seems to be just at the point 'rotate' is called.The Greeks have never tried to make the surface better, they're quite happy to take the money but spend none of it on the local airports!!

Tom the Tenor
28th May 2001, 03:26
One of the magazines, I think it was Air Transport World, had a photo a few months ago of the Sultan of Brunei's Airbus A340 lining up for take off at Corfu and I think it was from the side that has the turning circle, anyway, it was the one which has the famous hotel that lodges spotters on their trips to the sun!

------------------
What we want is a bit of Pop Music, none of this Beethoven!!

Speedbird252
28th May 2001, 21:15
Thankyou all!!

So now I know!!

Kind Regards.

Kyprianos Biris
30th May 2001, 15:08
2 pictures 2000 words ...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=113383

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=112627

Of course the shots are taken from the famous hotel & balcony abeam threshold 35 where you can enjoy your coffee watching those approaches ! Very spectacular when the VOR NDB approach is executed (not the VOR/DME) which requires a right turn to finals on very short finals !