PDA

View Full Version : Forced landing on Hayling Island golf course?

Mechta
3rd Sep 2011, 21:49
Just seen via FB, a reported forced landing on Hayling Island today. The two on board walked away (hopefully unscathed). Emergency services attended en masse, so they must have been having a quiet day.

Does anyone know more?

I Love Flying
4th Sep 2011, 18:47
Nothing to do with the Thorney Island fly in was it? I hope not. We went yesterday and had a great time, so big thanks to the organisers (despite the confusion regarding circuit directions)!

Mechta
5th Sep 2011, 12:38
More info here:

http://www.haylingtoday.co.uk/news/local/plane_makes_emergency_landing_in_hayling_field_1_3027165

Basil
5th Sep 2011, 12:49
The ground is extremely rough there and it’s a wonder they got down safely
Perhaps they've been training at WW :}

IO540
5th Sep 2011, 13:19
Emergency services attended en masse

Usually the case :)

I don't know the type (it looks like a Stearman?) but the landing roll on something like that is probably not many yards, making the comments in the article banal as ever.

Dave Barnshaw
5th Sep 2011, 14:58
If they had been training at W.W. they would definitely have made a mess of things.

JW411
5th Sep 2011, 15:59
Peter, why don't you read the newspaper article? It tells you at least twice that it is an N3N. In fact, I think it is an NAF (Naval Air Factory) N3N3 and it used to be owned by Dick Steele at Sandown.

Spit161
5th Sep 2011, 16:10
This part made me chuckle:

When we walked over we were surprised to see a plane had landed there.

Wouldn't he have seen the a/c come down, thus not be surprised there was a plane there?

cheers,
Jake.

holedriller
6th Sep 2011, 18:36
Not really, with the engine failed it would be almost completely silent, so unless looking that way you would never know.
Holedriller

vanHorck
6th Sep 2011, 19:00
They didn't stall land the plane in a tree, did they?