PDA

View Full Version : LHR security and alcohol

Philip Mew
3rd Sep 2011, 14:52
I have been asked to bring home a bottle of gin from a specialty shop in London. As an operating crewmember going through Airside Security at LHR, and the policy on liquids and gels, I don't believe I can. Am I correct ?

I could however, purchase alcohol from the Duty Free shop once inside the terminal, or buy from my company's in flight duty free, but this won't help.
I believe that if deadheading or on personal travel, a bottle is acceptable in checked baggage.

In other words, am I correct that if an operating crewmember,one is out of luck in bringing home a bottle purchased outside of LHR ?

BOAC
3rd Sep 2011, 15:35
I think you would need to ask your handling agent to process your luggage as hold luggage and then you would be ok. Depending on your type, it should be possible to have it loaded into the crew luggage compartment.

Philip Mew
3rd Sep 2011, 16:02
How nice that would be !

At my company, it's prohibited for an operating crewmember to check baggage, nor would I want to ! Nothing like the peace of mind seeing one's baggage in the stowage area in the flight deck when away from home for 5 days.

My friend tells me these specialty gins are available nowhere else in the world.
Apparently, they won't ship to Canada. Sounds odd to me, but that's what I understand.
I would like to help, but of course will not risk getting into trouble. It's a nice to do, not a must do sort of thing.

mixture
3rd Sep 2011, 16:25
Apparently, they won't ship to Canada. Sounds odd to me, but that's what I understand.

Given the amount of alcoholic beverages that get cargo'd around the world, I'm having trouble with that concept to.

Furthermore, if you look on, say, the Berry Bros. & Rudd website, they seem to have no issue in shipping to non-UK, non-EU countries.

If you're still in Central London, why not pop into a shop that facilitates FedEx shipments (e.g. one of the branches of The Color Company).

Alternatively, if you've got London based friends (or a co-operative hotel), you might look at talking to Interparcel. But as implied, they're a collection, not drop-off service.

Or if you have not bought said Gin yet, just give Berry Bros a call.... they may not be the cheapest in London, but their service is decent !

BOAC
3rd Sep 2011, 16:58
At my company, it's prohibited for an operating crewmember to check baggage, nor would I want to ! Nothing like the peace of mind seeing one's baggage in the stowage area in the flight deck when away from home for 5 days. - then you won't be taking a bottle back! 'Case Closed' :rolleyes: