PDA

View Full Version : Nicosia FIR

TheNoFlyZone
2nd Sep 2011, 20:08
Just wondering if Nicosia FIR airspace is manned by Greek or Turkish ATCO's.

I would assume Greek, but not sure....

Thanks,

Thenoflyzone

blissbak
3rd Sep 2011, 01:45
It's manned by cypriots ;) , Nicosia ACC but Turkey despite of that created his own ACC called Ercan.
FLights approaching Nicosia FIR are required to "establish contact with Nicosia ACC in order to pass essential flight details...10 minutes before entry". But when they cross the Ankara/Nicosia FIR boundary, they are directed by Ankara to change frequency directly to the illegal area control at Ercan, the main airport in northern Cyprus.
That's for sure not the best safe airspace in the world

Gulfstreamaviator
3rd Sep 2011, 04:47
I hate it, and can only think that the big accident that will happen, will get the ICAO to actually take action

captplaystation
4th Sep 2011, 08:12
Every time I have passed through there this Summer & last, I have ended up having a dispute with either Ankara or Ercan & several times have read them the riot act whilst reminding them of exactly what it says on the ICAO document in front of me. I have had illegal demands to change frequency from Nicosia to Ercan given to me on 121.5, denial of shortcuts given me by Nicosia (you imagine the answer to that one ! :hmm: ) etc etc. My advice, stick to the legal procedure, give them hell if they try to do it any other way, and continue as a European to question any of your politicians who reckons Turkey should ever become part of the EEC :=

kursad79
9th Feb 2012, 09:37
To all that calls Ercan acc" Illegal Station"

I am working as an atc at Ercan Acc. All the time you r reading the same story since 1977 about Ercan Acc which is starting via"Ercan is an illegal station operating in the area...." and goes on.

just want to ask every one that If the Ercan is an illegal Station and Nicosia is the authority here why dont you come and shout down the Ercan acc Since 1977.

The Point here is only that Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus is not recognized yet.Thats why we are advisory airspace.

and Also I want to mention that Being Illegal and not recognized are very different thing.

Also I want to inform all the pilots that Ercan ACC has the newest state of the art systems to give atc service in the area and I bet on it That nicosia does not have the systems that we have here.

For more information about Ercan Int airport And Ercan acc please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely

Gulfstreamaviator
9th Feb 2012, 14:29
I am certain that you and your fellow "controllers" are highly trained and extreemly competent at "controlling" traffic that is in your vacinity.

I am certain that the equipment is state of the art, and very well maintained.

BUT

The problem is not really the status of the airspace, but the total lack of coordination between you in the North, and them in the South.

My self and I am sure many other crews would be much happier if you actually talked to each other, rather than base your 'controlling" based on: aircraft relays, (which I do on a regular basis), or calling on 121.5, and hope that some one is actually listening.

As I say the problem is not the status of the control aurthority, but the potental for the own goal when there is an accident.

IF Turkey and the North wants to be taken seriously, then there must be ATC coordination between you guys.

Most of the problem could be resolved if the chart publishers actually used a BIG highlighter and marked the area with the remark, that ERCAN is a traffic advisory area and should be re-advised of the mandated ICAO controlling authority is not ERCAN. ERCAN should be advised of the commanders routing.....

I do hope that when the accident happens, and the blaim lies totally with ICAO for not insisting that there is only one authority, and that the crews do not get blamed.

ERCAN is an accident waiting to happen.

Please Mr Ercan, respect your duty, and try to be more positive in your relationship with the other guys. Having said that, my last few trips have been mostly much easier.

Many thanks from just across the border....

Glf

kursad79
12th Feb 2012, 20:15
I confirm al the details that you write.
Dont you think that we do not try to make coordination with them?

Our Generel Manager Mr Hasan Topaloğlu many times offered coordination and working together as to acc sector But the Greek side never give an positive answer.They dont want to cooporate and share and all the time playing politic games on frequency.

Also Mr Topaloğlu (general mng.of civil aviation dept.)Stated that working together with Ercan Acc doesnt mean the recognition of TRNC.

Every partnership starts with goodwill which greek side doesnt have for us.

I wish to work as two sectors with our greek colics in peace.

Sincerely

babotika
12th Feb 2012, 22:06
Maybe it was a one-off, maybe things are getting better, but flying to Pafos the other week via Ankara airspace we were handed to Ecran about 40nm from the Nicosia FIR, then Ecran had us call Nicosia at the border. We were both positively surprised!

DVR6K
13th Feb 2012, 22:11
My experience is that Ercan will always hand you over to Nicosia (they don't co-ordinate though) but Nicosia will not hand you over to Ercan if you fly in the other direction. Nicosia give you a freq for Ankara and if you call it they'll send you to Ercan anyway.

Landing lights on and a beady eye on TCAS is usually the order of the day whichever direction you transit Ercan FIR.

Nubboy
15th Feb 2012, 07:04
Plus weather radar for conspicuity.

126.3 box 1, 126.7 box 2, 121.5 box 3, focussed flight deck, trying to ensure you have a level flight profile inj the area, it's a mess.

psarasm
3rd Jan 2013, 13:43
Well. If you enter Nicosia FIR via Ankara FIR, you should contact Nicosia FIR and not the so called Ercan. Frequencies for Nicosia FIR are (taken from AIP Cyprus)

West Sector: 125.5 Primary, 130.0 Secondary
East Sector: 126.3 Primary, 123.55 Secondary
South Sector: 124.2 Primary, 128.6 Seconday

Ankara FIR will never tranfer control to Nicosia FIR.

Nicosia FIR will never transfer you to Ercan as is a not recognised by the official Republic of Cyprus.

chevvron
4th Jan 2013, 08:55
Sounds like a job for EASA.

BN2A
4th Jan 2013, 12:22
In that case, we're all in the deep stuff!!!

:oh:

gijoe
9th Jan 2013, 08:58
'Our Generel Manager Mr Hasan Topaloğlu many times offered coordination and working together as to acc sector But the Greek side never give an positive answer.They dont want to cooporate and share and all the time playing politic games on frequency.'

That is probably because you lobbed in your paratroopers in 1974 without a landing clearance...

:O

birdstrike1
19th Jul 2013, 21:06
Merhaba, I am looking to fly to Ercan soon in a light aircraft from the UK any advice,:ok:

tubby linton
19th Jul 2013, 21:24
Do not use any of the Northern Cyprus VORs or the one at MUT as they are all out of tolerance according to Notam.