PDA

View Full Version : Visiting London SE 15 with <2T - Howto

proudprivate
31st Aug 2011, 11:28
Hi Friends,

I'm planning a trip to visit some friends in London SE15 next month and I'm wondering what the best way would be, flying out of EBOS. Considerations would be travel time and price.

1) Biggin Hill
- Landing rights (and other compulsory fees) & 1 day parking for single engine between 1 and 2 tonnes ?
- Public transport into Crofton Park, Nunhead or Honor Oak ?

2) Any other airfield that would suit the purpose (potentially after doing customs at Southend or Lydd, if not available PNR). I need something like 800m grass or 650m asphalt to feel comfi.

Thanks in advance for your help / thoughts

PP

S-Works
31st Aug 2011, 11:31
Daymons Hall. Easy access into town from there. Cheap and hospitable.

neilgeddes
31st Aug 2011, 11:33
Maybe Redhill EGKR then the fast train service into central London?

proudprivate
31st Aug 2011, 12:47
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I looked this up for other people's reference.

* Redhill has customs (4 hour notice but that's ok)
* Landing fees up to 1500 kgs = £17 (£20 up to 2000 kgs)
* Overnight parking is = £6
* Runway is 900m (grass)
* Train into Honor Oak Park is £6 single @ 44 minutes of travel time
* 2,5 miles from the airfield to Earlswood Station (I guess taxi is the only solution here ?)

Biggin seems like the Weather alternate, then...

Question : Can you fly into Biggin on a Yankee flight plan EBOS-EGKR, IFR until BIG, shoot the approach to get below clouds and then proceed VFR (if possible) to Redhill ?

Satcop
31st Aug 2011, 13:07
Question : Can you fly into Biggin on a Yankee flight plan EBOS-EGKR, IFR until BIG, shoot the approach to get below clouds and then proceed VFR (if possible) to Redhill ?

You could however if the weather is such that you need to do that your problem will be low cloud over the high ground.

Redhill Station has a better selection of train services than Earlswood.

Deals are available on landing and parking fees at Redhill, feel free to pm me.

flyingtincan
31st Aug 2011, 20:20
1. From Redhill you could walk (took me about 25 mins) or taxi to South Nutfield Station, train to Redhill, then London Victoria. From Victoria train to Peckham Rye or Nunhead - depending where in SE15 you need to get to.

2. Taxi from Redhill airfield to Gatwick (quick but expensive?), train to London Bridge, then train to Queens Road Peckham or Peckham Rye.

3. From Biggin hill 320 bus to Bromley South Station (20 mins) , then train to Crofton Park, Peckham Rye or Nunhead - but these tranis seem to run durring the daytime only so check.

4. If you need Honor Oak Park Brockley or New Cross Gate then you need London Bridge (from Gatwick) with a change at East Croydon or continue on to London Bridge then train to HOP.

Welcome to South London!