PDA

View Full Version : LHR SIDs "Start the turn now!"

Thunderbug
9th Aug 2001, 13:57
On a recent departure from LHR (DVR 27L), the tower controller instructed us to "start the turn now".

We were doing a raw data departure because some of the current FMC departure routings are incorrect. So when the tower called we knew that we had yet to pass the initial turn point at I-LL 1d.

No criticism implied and always happy to oblige, but just wondering the purpose of the call, especially as we are only at about 1000' and hence noise routings apply to keep the natives happy.

Is it for seperation? or was it the perception that we had overshot the initial turn?

Just curious........

Thunderbug

wysiwyg
9th Aug 2001, 15:32
I have noticed that departures off 27 are now routinely turning early over the top of my house. In fact, there goes another one now. I don't have a problem with it but I would like to know why the change of policy.

wizzy

411A
9th Aug 2001, 16:31
More of that.....really superb ATC at LHR...as some have mentioned here before?

A Slim Shady
9th Aug 2001, 16:34
No change of policy at all, the request to "start the LEFT/RIGHT turn now" will be purely for separation either against a go-around off the other runway or another departure either ahead of you or airborne behind you.

Warped Factor
9th Aug 2001, 18:51
411A,

How many of your other 1097 posts are as usefull as the one above? :rolleyes:

WF.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Aug 2001, 19:13
WF - have a look at his profile. 'Nuff said..

Change Of Plan
9th Aug 2001, 21:13
Totally agree with Shady, no change of policy or criticism of airmanship. The instruction to turn is a positive action on our part to ensure separation.

Gonzo
9th Aug 2001, 21:17
Thunderbug,

Slim Shady is correct.

What aircraft were you flying?

Often if we launch a light BA 757 or a Scandi MD80 wheels up after a Air France or Alitalia A321 then things can get a bit too close, so encouraging one or the other to turn earlier is advantageous (ie. Left turn direct EPM now, or right turn now for BUR. etc etc.).

Gonzo.

Thunderbug
9th Aug 2001, 21:28
Gonzo

Thanx for the replies. On that occasion it was a rather light 767, but we had been cleared for take-off as the previous Iberia 757 was lifting off; and we didn't waste any time.

Keeping the seperation is alright with me. On previous occasions I just thought the command to start the turn was because the FMC (or me) was being a bit slow on the turn. On this occasion with the raw data it was quite obvious that it wasn't our fault this time! ;)

Thunderbug

Gonzo
10th Aug 2001, 00:31
Thunderbug,

Thanks, Speaking for myself, I'll only say the 'right/left turn now' if I'm concerned about the spacing.

If I'm at all worried that you aren't flying the SID as I expect you too then I'll say something like 'Confirm flying DVR5F departure?'.

Quote from Thunderbug:
"it wasn't our fault this time!"

Ahh yes, pray tell??? ;) ;)

Gonzo