PDA

View Full Version : JAR-PPL Air Law Exam

Golf-Kilo Victor
13th Jan 2001, 23:54
Im currently (trying) to revise for my Air Law exam which i need before i can go solo. Does anyone have any revision tips, aides to memory, etc that can help me? I am finding it very hard going http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Delta Wun-Wun
14th Jan 2001, 03:25
I made my own notes as I worked through the text book.Then kept reading through that instead.Once it started to stick I used the PPL Confuser to test myself.I found this book very good to consilidate what I had read.Hope it helps.Air Law is as boring as you know what,but some of it is very important.....ANYWAY......That first solo will make it all worth while.Good luck.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

VFE
14th Jan 2001, 15:24
Hello Golf-Kilo Victor,
I think the danger with the Air Law exam is to overload yourself with info and end up loosing the valuable stuff. Only problem with this is you don't know what you are going to be tested on!
When I did Air Law I found the revision a little hard going (after all it is the first aviation exam in your life!) because I didn't want to mess up.
I took a holiday just prior to the test (not planned because of Air Law!) and had plenty of time sitting on a beach revising in a relaxing way.
I laugh at myself now when I think back to the test cause it was so laid back and indeed I was not even aware that it was THE test, my examiner made out it was just a past paper!
Try to relax and don't worry - all the tests are multi choice so if you've read over the topic at some point in the past then the answer should pop up on the day.

Good luck, VFE.

kb1
14th Jan 2001, 21:13
Is it a different system where you are?
I'm flying in Ireland and in order to go solo, my instructor signed me off knowing that the day was clear/no wind, I could make my calls on the circuit, I knew the emergency drills, and off I went with 7hrs
under my belt. The PPL law exams had nothing to do with it as far as solo was concerned.
Would you care to elaborate a bit more on the way things are done where you fly? I am very curious of differing procedures.I sat the JAR PPL last friday and law was very tricky. I and many others could not seem to get enough info. on Irish Law. Anybody out there know some handy ref. material as I'm sure I'll be doing it again in March?

Speedbird252
15th Jan 2001, 02:41
hmmm.....unusual.

Imagine being on the downwind leg of your first solo, and an incident happens at the airfield on the only available runway....you have no option but to use your nearest alternative -

Thats why you need you Air Law before your solo.........

Speedbird252
15th Jan 2001, 02:55
as an after thought, what books are you guys using as your study material? I used the Trevor Thom to start with, and had at least 2 questions in my Air Law exam which werent in the book i had been studying! (To do with approach runway lighting and another I dont remember) I nearly failed because of it. The Jeremy Pratt books are the way to go in my opinion.

oinkoink
15th Jan 2001, 03:45
I found the AirLaw exam very tricky. When I went in the room to take the exam my mind went totally blank, Their were a few questions on International procedures and documents which for the life of me I couldnt remember. I also got a few "silly" questions wrong. I was totally convinced I had failed and was really fed up with myself and thought if I couldnt pass this AirLaw exam I might as well give up now. As it was I got 80% which was a surprise considering how bad I thought I had done. I was totally unprepared as I heared it was easy and I was getting 90% + in the practice papers. I am now studying for the Meteorology exam and am finding it easier because it is not just a case of REMEMBERING facts but it actually makes sense. So my advice for you is....get above 75%. Questions I got wrong were..What does a red light from an ATSU mean? Documents needed on an International flight? A VFR minimum question.. What is the Alert stage? Quadrant rule question..QNH V QFE question(really pissed with myself there because it was so easy) Where can the pilots licence priviledges be found? Good luck and as the scouts say "BE PREPARED"

Gazeem
15th Jan 2001, 13:49
When I recently took the exam I thought I was very well prepared.

However, there were quite a few questions on the ICAO that I was not expecting which almost caught me out.

There were a couple of questions which were set up with three wrong answers rather than one easily identifable right one.

However, when all is said and done, learn the tests in your text books and don't build the test up too much in your mind.

Lawyerboy
15th Jan 2001, 14:23
Hmmmm.... Speedbird252, you said

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Imagine being on the downwind leg of your first solo, and an incident happens at the airfield on the only available runway....you have no option but to use your nearest alternative -

Thats why you need you Air Law before your solo.........</font>

I would have thought that some sort of navigation training (which you don't seem to get by the time you do your first solo) might be more useful in that case...

Bluebeard
15th Jan 2001, 20:06
If its any consolation, I found the JAR Air Law a bit of a b*gger too (this is someone who had the pleasure of doing the CAA Air Law exam as well). Although all of the PPL exams invariably feature at least one random question which nobody knows jack about, the JAR Air Law seems to be particularly prone to 'silly' questions which bear little relevance to everyday PPL flying.

Top tip is get a copy of the PPL confuser and use it get a feel for the areas which you are most likely to be tested on. Don't try to question spot - this is naughty as you are likely to forget everthing the moment you walk out of the exam, which really isn't helpful when you are in the air. Make sure you've read Thom and AFE/Pratt books before using the confuser.

Don't worry about the odd random question, know the main bits like the back of your hand and you will know enough to pass.

Good Luck!

Speedbird252
17th Jan 2001, 00:05
I agree Lawyerboy, I guess what you need depends on where you are. All the time you can fly headings via R/T then you should be ok, on arrival at the alternate, you can establish from the signals board / atsu what needs to be done.

I do agree with you though, having the alternate 10 miles away over flat ground is a bit easier than 30 miles away over hilly terrain. Eeek.

Regards LB

Regards.

Golf-Kilo Victor
18th Jan 2001, 22:53
Thanks for all your help dudes!
Im gonna Take the exam on Sunday so with a bit of luck i just might survive!

Thanks again

GKV :)

Flying Lawyer
19th Jan 2001, 04:04
The prospect of having to study "Law" usually causes anxiety to student pilots. It is often regarded as an irrelevant subject which, for some strange reason, has to be passed on the way to achieving a PPL. (This perception is not helped by the inclusion in the exam of too many questions which are extremely unlikely, if ever, to be relevant to 99% of PPLs.)
In fact, Aviation Law is simply a set of rules which it is necessary for us to know, for the safety of other aviators and ourselves. Most of the rules are there for a good reason, and knowing them will also reduce your chances of being prosecuted!
Most learner-drivers will have picked up the basics of road traffic law as passengers long before they begin to drive themselves. Very few student-pilots will have had that opportunity, so we have to learn the rules.

I suspect the word "law" puts many people off. Try to think of "Aviation Law" as no more than the Rules of the Air which we have to know in order to fly safely and legally. It may seem tricky at first, but it gets easier - just like flying!
http://www.lyntonaviation.com/Lynsite/media/pagebits/AH4S4.gif

PS
I haven't looked at all the books available but, for what it's worth, I think the latest Jeremy Pratt book is very good. It is well written and, just as important, the rules are presented and explained in a way which is easy to understand.

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 19 January 2001).]

Speedbird252
21st Jan 2001, 02:37
Let us know how you get on gkv......

foghorn
21st Jan 2001, 03:20
Ladies and Gentlemen, this thread has been honoured by the Flying Lawyer's comments, who you may or may not know is becoming absolute legend in air law, especially after his recent defence of a flying instructor in a bogus low-flying case (brought by our dear Campaign Against Aviation).

Anyway, on the subject of Air Law exams and irrlevence, just wait until you get on to the ATPL Air Law....

Golf-Kilo Victor
4th Feb 2001, 23:20
I dunno if anyone still looks at this, but i PASSED!! I ACTUALLY PASSED! IM SHOCKED
ok so it was only 3.5% above the minimum but a pass is a pass, right? I PASSED! Solo time, here i come! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hot and Dry
5th Feb 2001, 02:52
Sorry.......
Just to change the subject, what is the difference between JAA and JAR and what do they stand for... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

paulo
5th Feb 2001, 22:24
The (Joint Aviation) Authorities make the (Joint Aviation) Regulations. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

KYGMSY
6th Feb 2001, 00:22
Sorry Speedbird 252 have to disagree with you there. Having sat the JAR PPL Air Law exam 3 times (!) I found the Jeremy Pratt books a waste of time. I knew that book word for word by the time I entered the exam for the 2nd time but there were still questions that weren't in it. I complained to the flying school after acheiving 68% and they said there were many ammendments to that book and they are still producing them. I decided to go with the Trevor Thom's after that and passed Air Law 3rd time lucky with 100%.

Trevor Thom's are better in my opinion.

hasell
6th Feb 2001, 21:05
Nice one GKV,
Any tips mate -my time for the air law exam is fast approaching. I too am studying from using the Thom book ??

btw. good luck with that solo

SpeedBird22
7th Feb 2001, 01:47
I agree that the Jeremy Pratt series are definately lacking in the Air-law department. I failed first time with 68% and only managed to scrape up to 71% on the second go having spent three weeks non-stop revising.

The main problem is, as has been said, that there are loads of cryptic obscure questions in the exam that just aren't covered in the book. Anyway, who cares how many cans of glue we're allowed to import?

However I found the Pratt book on Met. and Nav. really good, and got a first time Met pass with 90% this afternoon.

Happy flying,

SB22

Golf-Kilo Victor
8th Feb 2001, 23:28
Hasell, im not gonna give you the answers, but i tripped up on:
Quadrantal Rule
CTZ's/CTA's
Licence information

And i used the Pratt books. I prefer the writing style, but thats me...

GKV

KYGMSY
10th Feb 2001, 00:01
G-KV

I found that Jeremy Pratt talks bo**ocks on every page about sh*te that you do not need to know. Trevor Thom gives you the facts that you need to know straight.

Have you seen his Human Perf. And Limitations book. Far too much crap in there.

Speedbird252
10th Feb 2001, 01:44
Hey chill out. Im not disputing that the TT books are good, I just said the JP were better. It was my opinion. I passed my Air Law using the TT books, I was just a bit pi$$ed off that I nearly failed it because, as has been said of the JP books, there were things in the exam that werent in the book.

Can someone with the TT books tell me what page the reference to PAPI`s and VASI`s is?

I cant find it.

Regards.

Speedbird252
10th Feb 2001, 01:58
KYGMSY -When did you take the exam?

To say that the JP series is bo??ocks is a bit strong coming from someone that took 3 attempts to pass air law.

Im not having a go, but I passed it with the TT books, and 3 questions I had werent even covered, I scraped thorough just, and I wasnt happy about it either. Thats why I switched. I havent had a problem since.

***** on every page? I use both series along side each other to get a decent cross reference of each subject. Its good to have 2 sets of questions to answer.

It isnt cheap doing it that way, but its certainly cheaper than having to take each exam 3 times.

Dig?

KYGMSY
11th Feb 2001, 21:51
Speedbird :

I wasn't trying to start an argument here.

Can't find any vasi's or papi's in the TT book.

I took the exam in June 2000.

I found that JP kept going on about his personal experiences - do we need to know them to pass the ppl written exams ??

Golf-Kilo Victor
11th Feb 2001, 23:27
look, at the end of the day, as long as the book is right for you, who gives a flying F**K what book you used, right? one mans meat is another mans poison an all that

Speedbird252
12th Feb 2001, 23:02
I agree with you KYGMSY, lets not quibble, the end of the day, its nice that we have got an opinion, and KGV is right, as long as we all ge there in the end. !!!

As for the VASI`s and PAPI`s - learn `em!!

Best wishes.

KYGMSY
12th Feb 2001, 23:46
GKV

I will lower my head in shame.

Big Red ' L '
13th Feb 2001, 05:40
Check this out...........

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/general/FLTCREW/study.htm

Does anyone know of an English version of this web site or something similar.?

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....