PDA

View Full Version : Airfields near Ghent

verticalhold
30th Aug 2011, 13:26
Afternoon All;

I'm looking for information on small airfields near Ghent. All info gratefully received.

VH

proudprivate
30th Aug 2011, 14:07
Ursel (EBUL) would be geographically the closest, ex-mil, I think WE only. Two flying clubs there, friendly people. Give them a call about transportation to Ghent.

Your best bet transportation wise would be Ostend (EBOS), and then a rental car or the bus to the station followed by some 30 mins by train to Ghent St. Pieters. EBOS can handle non-Schengen arrivals (assuming you're from the UK), bus does not satisfy your criterion "Small"

There used to be one "nearby", which the Germans used in WW I, but that got ploughed under 20-odd years ago.

verticalhold
30th Aug 2011, 14:28
Thanks for that, I'll take a look. The flight is for a helicopter with VIP pax, and Belgium is a rare destination on one of these flights.

VH

The SSK
30th Aug 2011, 14:33
There is a heliport at Ghent - EBGT UZ Gent Heliport

EBGT- UZ Gent heliport in Gent East Flanders Belgium Europe Private Jet Charter Flights Airport Codes (http://www.jetrequest.com/airport_code/belgium/east_flanders/gent/ebgt/2821)

Unfortunately UZ stands for University Hospital. I know it well :ouch:
The website gives details of other heliports nearby

Jan Olieslagers
30th Aug 2011, 14:48
Confirm the info from ProudPrivate (EBUL is indeed weekend only), with just the proviso that Antwerp EBAW could also serve: it offers everything that Ostend has, is a bit closer to the station, and has more frequent trains. But it is further from the UK.
Another alternative might be Kortrijk/Wevelgem EBKT, but customs/immigration must be requested in advance.

As for using the Ghent UZ heliport, I have some doubts there, but am little acquainted with helicopter flying.

dirkdj
31st Aug 2011, 05:32
Antwerp and Kortrijk are about equal distance and travel time from Gent. EBKT does have full time immigration for non-Schengen flights.
Maybe you are going to Flanders Expo in Gent where Ikea also has their little shed.. This used to be Gent-St-Denijs-Westrem airfield, you can still see the tower and firebrigade hangars and some more.

Good train connections from both Kortrijk and Antwerp to Gent, about 20 minutes. On-airport car rental at EBAW, Europcar about 500m from EBKT.