PDA

View Full Version : de-fueling with passengers on board

PT6A
29th Aug 2011, 12:50
Q, Does your airline allow it?

If they do what does your ops manual say about the procedure?

If not, what do they say if it specifically prohibited.

emoroid
29th Aug 2011, 19:26
De-fuelling is an almost impossible task to carry out due to: no empty tankers available, unable to return fuel to storage/pits, customs and refuellers not having capability to de-fuel. Why????

Piltdown Man
29th Aug 2011, 20:32
Yes it's allowed but often takes a while to organise. The fuel recovered is considered acceptable for re-use because all the fuel that went in was approved. It's certainly not wasted. But in many countries this is considered to be just too difficult, so rather amazingly it's cheaper to deny boarding to fare paying passengers than to try and get the fuel off-loaded. The UK is a prime example. In fact, I'm rather surprised that I'm even allowed to uplift fuel in the UK, for 'elf'n'safety reasons'.

bvcu
30th Aug 2011, 08:17
Not allowed with most airlines . Also fuel removed will only go back on that operators a/c , which is the problem as it has to be stored in tanker until you can use it .

Creasy
30th Aug 2011, 08:28
Defueling not allowed with pax on board only if no Fire Brig present at A/C.

MADTASS
31st Aug 2011, 23:07
We don"t do Defuels...........Yet, however, the way i was Taught was.
A load Adjustment Defuel can be 10% of the Fuel Uplifted and 10% of the Bowsers Capacity, and then can be Sold to anybody.
A Maitenance Defuel must not Exceed 80% of the Bowsers Capacity and can only be Sold back to that Customer.
Just checked the JIG, Fuelling/Defuelling with Pax on board is Permitted by Local Airport Regulations, however , we work to the rule that an Aircraft has to be fitted with at least 20 Seats, AFS Service informed along with the Cabin Crew that Fuelling is about to Commence.

Beeline
1st Sep 2011, 16:21
Is it any different from refuelling an aircraft with pax onboard? Fuel is just going the other way??

We try to put the extracted fuel back on the same aircraft post maintenance input! Subject to tanker availability.

Slasher
3rd Sep 2011, 16:23
In my mob its permitted with the appropriate SOP safety
procedures, but one had better have a damn good bloody
reason why the bums were left on board.

Dave Barnshaw
5th Sep 2011, 14:30
In about 1993 I was happily sitting on my seat ready for our departure to CDG on board Concorde,and the Purser came 'round and told us that our aircraft had been fuelled up for a trip to New York-40 tonnes-,we were parked next the Concorde that was going to depart for JFK,so,beleive it or not-we were delayed while the engineers pumped 20 tonnes of fuel from our aircraft to the other one,so to bide our time the Captain gave us visits to the flight deck there and then instead of at 55,000 ft,we were told that it would be far quicker to do that than swap passengers over from each plane,so there were 100 pax.on our plane while the de-fuelling was going on,I should have thought that someone got a right rollocking over that.:ugh::ugh::ugh: